The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 2, 2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Cooter85

RG Model 14 .22LR revolver

My buddy picked up this little six shooter at a gun show and sold it to me really cheap. It says:
MOD. RG 14
CAL. .22 LR
RG IND.
MIAMI FLA.

Google isn't giving me anything. I was trying to get a hold of the company, because it's missing the cylinder pin. I suspect the company went out of business, but I can't find anything. Can someone give me a clue here?
Old April 2, 2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Hawg

Theey went under in the 80's I believe. Most folks will tell you it's a POS but for a cheap toy they're ok. I've had several model 66's and were ok. As a matter of fact the only .22 pistol I have now is a Rohm 66. If you gave over 25 bucks for it tho it was too much.
Old April 2, 2008, 11:12 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those are the quintessential Saturday Night Special and, IMHO, junk. Still, they usually go bang, at least for a while, and can be fun plinkers.

Gun Parts Corp. (www.gunpartscorp.com) has (or had) center pins for about $10, which is more than the gun sold for when they were being imported.

Jim
Old April 14, 2008, 11:38 AM   #4
dutchy

Jim,

With all due respect, I disagree with the term saturday night speecials, if it is meant in a derogatory way.

I posted on this before and have copied the text in red below:

Gentlemen,

As you can see from my previous posts, I am not an advocate of cheap guns, regardless of country of origen.
Some reflection however is in order.
Röhm is based in Germany, and believe you me, in a country that regulates even the use of cosmetic accessories to cars, firearms sold (and most certainly made) in Germany are subject of severe regulation.
Yes, Röhm and others have non-ferrous metal frames, but steel cilinders and barrels, and every individual gun is proofed in an official governmental proofing office.

As a member of the board I was in charge of the hardware in a reasonable sized gun club. (160 members).
Taking office I found 3 FN international in very used condition, one Diamondback 4" and an Arminius 6" totally used up.
After cleaning, checking and lubricating, some members really grew fond of the Arminius, which turned out to be very very accurate. Only flaw: the rearsight hinge pin would have to be recentered every few weeks. Big deal.
IMHO this was very much quality for relatively little money.
So, have it checked by a competent gunsmith, and if okay, by all means use it. If you then do not like it, have it deactivated and hang it on the wall, or turn it into a trophy for a match between friends. You can allways buy a S&W or Ruger later on.

Last word of advice: use standard velocity ammo only.
Old April 14, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
some members really grew fond of the Arminius, which turned out to be very very accurate.
I inherited an Arminius Warrior .38 spcl. and I like it.