The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 4, 2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Doug Bowser

What have I got?

I have a heavy barreled Remington Model 40X. I would like to know what it is and how much it is worth?

Remington 40X .308 Winchester National Match Course rifle, it has an excellent Remington Stainless steel barrel that is 7/8” at the muzzle and 1-3/16” at the breech, he date codes indicate it was made in 1979. It has a clip slot in the receiver bridge, the barrel and receiver are drilled and tapped for telescope bases, There is a set of Redfield Olympic front and rear sights, the rifle has an excellent trigger with no after travel. The wood has no cracks or deep gouges but there are handling marks on it. There is a full length rail for a hand stop from the trigger guard to the end of the forearm and the rifle has a 5 shot magazine. The exterior metal is excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40x.JPG (56.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 40x2.JPG (50.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 40x3.JPG (57.1 KB, 97 views)
Old July 2, 2019, 12:02 AM   #2
bamaranger

40X

I can only add some hearsay and speculation. The 40X's in all configuration have reputations as real shooters. Rarely do you see one, for sale in my travels and wanderings.

I would have somebody run a bore scope through your rifle and pronounce some type of knowing judgement on the barrel. I wonder if that rifle was some type of CMP sale?
Old July 2, 2019, 03:44 AM   #3
old roper

This is new one

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101164314
NRA Life Member
Old July 2, 2019, 09:46 AM   #4
Bart B.

Remington made their 40X centerfire target rifles to compete against Winchester 70 target rifles. Their barrels were better than Winchester's for Sierra match bullets. They were not as popular as Winchesters because of their actions short commings in operating and feeding for rapid fire matches. Their extractors broke too often. They twisted loose in epoxy bedding after a couple hundred rounds shooting 308 Win ammo, quicker for the 30-338 Win Mag version made for military teams. Gluing them in flat side/bottom sleeves fixed the twisting loose problem. Installing a Sako style extractor was popular.

Redfield Olympic rear sights were popular but typically have 1/2 MOA or more backlash. Were often fixed by rubber bands to take up the adjustment and parts fit slop making them very repeatable and precise. It has exactly 1 inch LOS change at 100 yards per 4 clicks with a 30 inch sight radius.

Asking prices for older ones range from one to two thousand. Lots of people think they are the cat's meow.

Current versions have accuracy "capable of 3 shots inside 0.50 inch at 100 yards."

Last edited by Bart B.; July 2, 2019 at 10:20 AM.