The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 12, 2018, 11:40 AM   #1
hogwiley

West German p226 questions

I have the chance to buy a very lightly used West German p226 for a good price, and I have a couple questions.

I've read the West German p226 DA triggers were 12 lbs, whereas modern sigs are 9 lbs, is this true? My (non West) German p228 had a pretty decent DA trigger pull, it didn't feel heavy to me, were those also 12 lbs? or just the West Germans?

Should I keep the original grips and trigger bar spring, or update it to modern grips, or even e2 grips? I know some people would consider changing them sacrilege, but I would probably dry fire the gun a lot with snap caps to get used to the DA trigger.

Is the old trigger bar spring wearing the frame and possibly breaking a real issue? I've also read the e2 grips have some reliability issues.

Finally, is it necessary to change any springs on the gun if it hasn't been shot much? I mean it was still probably made in the early 90s.
Old July 12, 2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Bottom Gun

My P226 Sigs all have the same good trigger pull. My older German made P226 feels just like my recent manufacture P226s.
I wouldn’t bother replacing anything unless it fails or has some apparent wear. I have not replaced anything in my older Sigs and they all still work as well as when they were new.
You may wish to pick up a spare recoil spring and compare it to your original from time to time. If your original spring has compressed an inch or so or feels weaker, it might be a good idea to replace it.
I did replace the grips on my P226 pistols with Hogue G10 grips because the Hogue grips are slightly smaller and fit my hand better.
These are very reliable robust pistols. It’s unlikely you will ever have to repair anything on them aside replacing an occasional spring.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old July 12, 2018, 03:33 PM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
I've read the West German p226 DA triggers were 12 lbs, whereas modern sigs are 9 lbs, is this true? My (non West) German p228 had a pretty decent DA trigger pull, it didn't feel heavy to me, were those also 12 lbs? or just the West Germans?
The trigger pull of my 1991-manufactured West German-marked P226 feels practically identical to that of my brother's 2018-manufactured Mk. 25. No difference that I can tell.

Quote:
Should I keep the original grips and trigger bar spring, or update it to modern grips, or even e2 grips? I know some people would consider changing them sacrilege, but I would probably dry fire the gun a lot with snap caps to get used to the DA trigger.
Personally, I wouldn't replace the original grips if they are in serviceable condition. If you do, hang onto the originals. The original checkered West German grips are quite nice and replacements are tough to find. I wouldn't bother with E2 grips unless you just have tiny hands.

Quote:
Is the old trigger bar spring wearing the frame and possibly breaking a real issue? I've also read the e2 grips have some reliability issues.
Without photos, there is no way to tell. You say the pistol is lightly used. I can't imagine anything will be worn to the point of failure with light use. Even on a heavily-used pistol this is unlikely to ever be an issue with proper maintenance/lubrication.

There are a number of parts that get installed with the e2 grips - it's not as simple as just screwing them on (but they are not difficult to install). Still, unless you have tiny hands, I feel they are completely unnecessary. The grip feel of the standard P226 with the original checkered West German grips is quite nice.

Quote:
Finally, is it necessary to change any springs on the gun if it hasn't been shot much? I mean it was still probably made in the early 90s.
Sig makes an inexpensive replacement spring kit. Just be aware that you can't use the new style trigger bar spring with the older style West German grips. Not a big deal, as this spring is very unlikely to ever wear out with normal use. I would at least replace the recoil spring and maybe the slide stop spring (I typically do this for any used gun I purchase that I plan to shoot).

https://www.realgunreviews.com/why-y...er-bar-spring/

I definitely say go for it if the price is good.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:07 PM   #4
hogwiley

My first handgun was a German p228 I bought around 2002. I never shot it a huge amount, and when I did I have to admit it was pretty much all single action, but I remember the DA trigger was difficult but manageable. I stupidly sold it to get a glock 19, since I thought that was the better combat trigger and I didn't yet appreciate German Sigs.

Almost 10 years later Sig did a limited run of p226's with German stamped slides on a German railed frame so I bought one. The DA trigger felt noticeably lighter. I assumed it was because I was just a more experienced shooter by that time, but maybe the p228 had the 12lb trigger and that p226 was the newer 9-10 lb trigger. I never realized older West German Sigs had a 12lb one until yesterday.

Either way I'm going to buy the W German p226. They are such well made guns, I've never even heard about anyone having reliability problems with a German p226/228 out of the box.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:16 PM   #5
gnystrom

Mine is from the early 1990's and the DA trigger is exactly the same as my M11A1.
I did put a short reset trigger just because.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:47 PM   #6
jonnyc

Ditto on the G10s, great improvement on my 228.
Old July 13, 2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Destructo6

My c1986 W. Germany P226 had a horribly heavy and gritty DA trigger pull.

I attribute most of that to the captive mainspring on the hammer strut. So, I updated it to the modern plastic mainspring seat and lighter mainspring, installed the SRT, and e2 grips.

Now, it feels as good as I think it can get, short of sending it to Gray's Guns.

Keep all of them clean.
Old July 13, 2018, 11:01 AM   #8
hogwiley

My German p226R had the best trigger in both DA and SA I've ever shot, and I was more accurate with it than any other gun I've ever owned. That thing was a Cadillac. Selling it was painful but I got back what I originally spent on it.

I don't remember being nearly as accurate with my older p228, especially if I was firing quickly in DA. In hindsight the DA trigger was smooth but seemed a little heavy to me, so it makes sense if it was 12 lbs. If this W German is like that gun it'll take some practice.

I'm looking forward to having a 9mm DA/SA again though after several years of using a .40 glock.

Ive never held E2 grips, but they look like sandpaper.
Old July 13, 2018, 11:09 PM   #9
hogwiley

So I got the gun in. It turns out the DA trigger is just as smooth as my last Sig. It doesn't feel heavy at all. The gun has definitely been shot more than the seller implied though, so it wasn't quite the deal I thought it would be. I probably paid about what it was worth though.

I also like the old style grips better than the newer ones, so I don't plan on changing anything on the gun and will keep it bone stock.