The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2017, 10:14 PM   #26
kmw1954

Lexspeed I hear ya. Have 2 different family members and 2 friends with Ford trucks with the Triton engine that all have blown spark plugs. Now you couldn't give me a Ford truck.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:42 AM   #27
JoeSixpack

I have both, They're both nice guns, But they also both shoot basicly the same.
My advice would be If you want a Beretta get a Beretta, If you like the Taurus get the Taurus it's a solid gun.

I've got 07 pt92 and a 1988 pt99
Got my CHL in 08, carried the 92 for 2-3 years, I got the 99 and carried it since.

The PT92 has a nicer trigger then my 1994 Beretta.
I put a Beretta "D" spring in it but even from teh factory the spring is lighter weight then the Beretta F spring.. the "D" spring just made it even nicer and the trigger was smooth right out of the box.. I mean it runs like a wet dream, no fluff, no buff, no polishing.

Less they changed it Beretta will give you a warranty for I think 2 years.. 3 if you register it.. Taurus is lifetime even on used.. Although some people have had bad CS experiences on repairs.

But I mean.. just figure you're on your own in 2-3 years with either gun right?

Difference is you can get Beretta parts VERY easily.. Taurus always has part supply issues or the rumblings Im hearing over on the Taurus board is after the recall of the milpro's and 24/7 they're not really tight about selling parts and want everything sent in for repair.

That's great if they're footing the bill for shipping but apparently that's almost never the case.

There's a guy over there right now with a revolver that needs a rear sight and the bastards won't sell him one and want it sent in.

As far as mag's go mec-gar makes 18's for both Beretta and Taurus.
I highly recommend you make that your mag of choice.

The reason I choose the Taurus for carry it was cheaper than A Beretta, shot the same, and the frame safety.

I've since also picked up some Beretta clones that I paid even less for but I still prefer the frame safety so I keep on carrying the Taurus.

Beretta could probably make a lot of money if they had a dedicated frame safety production gun.. but instead they only put those on limited run "lets see how much we can milk these idiots for" editions.
Old October 1, 2017, 09:29 AM   #28
amd6547

There is a lot of parts commonality between Beretta and Taurus 92's. For example, although the used 1997 PT92 I bought looked new, I had no idea of round count. So I replaced the locking block with a kit from Beretta which included a latest gen block, pin, and new recoil spring. Barrels can be swapped, and I toy with getting an inox barrel.

I never had a problem with the slide mounted Beretta safety, and I think that issue is overblown.

As far as the Taurus safety, I would never carry cocked and locked. Oh, I've carried 1911's and HiPowers that way, and I'm comfortable doing it.

The Taurus safety is ambidextrous and very wide. When I got it, experimenting around the house with an empty chamber, I found that the safety was often bumped off. In hand, the Taurus safety works great.
I really encourage anyone who likes 92's to look for an older one. I know that over on the Taurus forum, they really like older ones...from the early days when the factory was still fully staffed by Beretta trained employees and the tooling was new. Plus, being all forged metal. Some Beretta owners on Beretta forum seem to spend a lot of money replacing plastic coated metal parts and the plastic guide rod (My Beretta had those, they didn't bother me).

Last edited by amd6547; October 1, 2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old October 1, 2017, 12:19 PM   #29
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
There is a lot of parts commonality between Beretta and Taurus 92's. For example, although the used 1997 PT92 I bought looked new, I had no idea of round count. So I replaced the locking block with a kit from Beretta which included a latest gen block, pin, and new recoil spring. Barrels can be swapped, and I toy with getting an inox barrel.
Depending on how far you go back they are 100% compatible.. but a lot has changed.. as time goes on the gun's diverge.. when they started out neither had trigger guard mag releases or firing pin blocks.

Mags are the big one, they can be converted but out of the box it's a no go.
I wish someone would make a Beretta compatible mag catch for the Taurus so I could unify my mag collection.

Quote:
I never had a problem with the slide mounted Beretta safety, and I think that issue is overblown.

As far as the Taurus safety, I would never carry cocked and locked. Oh, I've carried 1911's and HiPowers that way, and I'm comfortable doing it.
Different strokes for Different folks.
There is nothing "wrong" with Beretta's safety.. It works wonderfully.
A lot people just prefer it on the frame.

Quote:
The Taurus safety is ambidextrous and very wide. When I got it, experimenting around the house with an empty chamber, I found that the safety was often bumped off. In hand, the Taurus safety works great.
I really encourage anyone who likes 92's to look for an older one. I know that over on the Taurus forum, they really like older ones...from the early days when the factory was still fully staffed by Beretta trained employees and the tooling was new. Plus, being all forged metal. Some Beretta owners on Beretta forum seem to spend a lot of money replacing plastic coated metal parts and the plastic guide rod (My Beretta had those, they didn't bother me).
I actually like the Beretta poly rod and lanyards.. the lanyards don't show their wear like the aluminium ones and the poly rods don't take a bend if they get hit.

I put them in my 99.
They use to be dirt cheap parts I think like 2.50 for the rod's at brownells but I think they're going for like 5.50 or 6 bucks now.. all the parts went up.. use to be able to get elite II hammers for 20 bucks now they're like 40 :/

anyone knows a cheap source for the poly rods & lanyards let me know.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:25 PM   #30
PT-92

From my handle you might know I'm a fan of the 92--the open barrel design is ingenious literally making the gun virtually impervious to malfunctions. Combined, my Taurus and Beretta 92s have never experienced a stoppage after 6K+ rounds (confident would've easily been 30K+ rounds could've I afforded it but I save the difference in .22lr ammo). First gun I ever bought some 25 years ago now not because I believed the Taurus model superior to its original Big-Brother, namely, the Beretta 92 but solely because it was less expensive--I arduously researched the two and finally concluded, like Massad Ayoob, that it was the better 'value' in that I got the same gun with $100+ left over for mags and or ammo. Bottom line is absent the safety/decocker you get the same gun--IMO that means the name on the slide is the only real variable.
Old October 1, 2017, 02:25 PM   #31
hdwhit

Quote:
siggy-06 wrote:
Any reason to the Beretta over the Taurus or vice-versa?
Yes, the Beretta is the examplar for the type made by a company with a great reputation for making reliable handguns.

No, the Taurus PT-92 is a close copy of the original with some innovative changes that arguably make it better and it's significantly cheaper.

If it were me, I'd buy the Pt-92 and use the savings to buy a PT-111 to keep it company in the gun safe.

Last edited by hdwhit; October 1, 2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: correct arguable to arguably
Old October 1, 2017, 04:58 PM   #32
dean1818

When the first Lethal Weapon movie came out, I fell in love with the look of this gun. (Beretta) Great Ergos (My son still wants to get the 40cal version)

I shot it side by side with the P226...... I ended up with the P226 then later a P229...... I ended up selling all my all metal guns later

As a CCWer it is just too much hassle for the size and weight of these classic guns (IMHO)

Great for the range, but not so much trying to conceal

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old October 2, 2017, 05:27 AM   #33
tallball

Just because...

I also have a Beretta 96, the 40 caliber version. I like it a lot, too.

It's a great design. Beretta or Taurus, 9mm or 40, you can't really go wrong.
Old October 2, 2017, 10:12 PM   #34
bac1023

All my Beretta's have frame mounted safeties. No way I'm buying a Taurus.

I've got others, but here's a few...

Old October 20, 2017, 05:22 PM   #35
MINSH101

If memory serves me correctly, a Taurus 92 IS a Beretta. Beretta sold their presses and machinery in Brazil to Taurus. The Taurus 92 is essentially a Beretta with a different stamp.
Old October 21, 2017, 04:27 PM   #36
DaleA

Quote:
a Taurus 92 IS a Beretta
It's true that Beretta set up a factory in Brazil in 1974 and then sold the factory and machinery to Taurus in 1980.

This info is from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_PT92

But since 1980 Taurus has made design changes. These are noted in the Wikipedia document too.

My personal preference would be for the Taurus version because of the cheaper price...last time I checked a Taurus was about $100 cheaper, and I like the frame mounted safety rather than the slide mounted safety found on most Berettas, but obviously not ALL Berettas as Bac1023 has shown about.

About that, if Bac1023 chimes in about semi-auto handguns listen closely, I have recommended his incredibly thorough article about the different 1911 style pistols to many people.
Old October 21, 2017, 06:56 PM   #37
otasan

I vote for the Glock 17. Great pistol. I have owned and shot one since 1989. No jams ever.
Old July 6, 2018, 01:01 PM   #38
Leejack

PT92

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRQI9tgU55s
Old July 6, 2018, 01:22 PM   #39
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
I've been mulling over adding another full size hi-cap 9mm to my collection. I have a few poly 9's and a Hi-power as well. I carried a Beretta M9 while in the Navy for 5 years and actually liked it a lot, pointed good, good sight picture, shot well. I started browsing online and came across the Tuarus PT92, which has a rail and the frame mounted safety rather than on the slide. I like the safety position better on the Taurus, as well as the all stainless option. It's about $140 cheaper than the Beretta as well. I don't have anything against Taurus personally, my 709 and lil .38 special have run flawless. Any reason to the Beretta over the Taurus or vice-versa?
You won't have to deal with Taurus customer service? People seem to think support is free. Good support --> higher price.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 6, 2018, 09:46 PM   #40
44caliberkid

I had a PT-99 for 30 years. It functioned flawlessly with every kind of ammunition. Besides the two factory mags, I had a Ramline mag that held 18 rounds and another no name mag that held 24. Everything worked. I used to handload a maximum charge of Blue Dot under a 115 grain JHP, that was going 1350 fps. Shot 100's of them through that gun. I also installed a Wolff trigger spring kit to lighten the DA pull, but almost never fired it DA. I gave it to my son after he moved into a sketchy neighborhood and he still has it for home defense.
One funny story. Back when all the police had Beretta 92's, I was at the range practicing one day and there were several sheriffs deputy's there. One of them was watching me shoot and said, "How do you do that?" He meant hit the black every time.
Old July 6, 2018, 10:23 PM   #41
Model12Win

I'm a B92FS fan but the TPT92 is on my radard. I'd love the chromed out one ! !
Old July 6, 2018, 11:16 PM   #42
EIGHTYDUECE

The Beretta 92FS is all fun and games until you have to change the firing pin spring. Then the wisdom of the frame mounted safety sinks in

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old July 6, 2018, 11:59 PM   #43
tallball

Since this thread dates from last October, I'm assuming that the OP has already made his purchase.
Old July 7, 2018, 08:36 AM   #44
Guggmeister

Taurus fit is nowhere near Beretta. PT92 rattles, 92 does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 7, 2018, 01:48 PM   #45
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guggmeister View Post
Taurus fit is nowhere near Beretta. PT92 rattles, 92 does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Who cares. These are defensive/fighting pistols, rattle means reliable.
Old July 7, 2018, 02:11 PM   #46
44caliberkid

Mine didn't rattle, that I can recall. If you want to hear rattle, try a military issue 1911, but I did and would, bet my life on one.
Old July 7, 2018, 03:57 PM   #47
ms6852

I bought a Taurus 92FS which has the adjustable sights more than 34 years ago and to this day it has been the most reliable 9mm handgun that I own. If there is a con about this pistol is that its trigger is a little spongy but I have gotten used to it. My Taurus actually shot better than the Berettas issued to the military, at least the one assigned to me. But in all fairness I do not know the quality now as it was 34 years ago but even than Taurus had a bad reputation for being cheap and I think people will drop a name and stick to a brand because they paid more money even though the product will perform marginally or just as good.
Old July 8, 2018, 08:14 AM   #48
PushPuller

Just cut out the headaches and spend the extra money! I have very little experience with Taurus but what I do have isn't great. The PT92 I have experience with had a tendency to be very ammo picky and accuracy was less than desirable. These aren't huge issues but the inability to pickup and shoot any ammo is kind of a deal breaker with me in a service pistol.

However the local gun store recently had a huge sale on all Taurus handguns and had the PT92 for sale at $300. For that price I would be willing to try one again. I also would trust their revolvers. I have heard very little bad things about their revolvers.
Old July 8, 2018, 08:21 AM   #49
Model12Win

Really hard to beat a Beretta:

Old July 8, 2018, 08:43 AM   #50
Ricklin

It's not hard at all to beat a Beretta.

Taurus has done so. Their gun is superior, can't beat a lower price, and better features. All the naysayers can really grouse about is Taurus customer service.

Of late they have turned the corner on their CS. Yes you may pay shipping, however if we consider the possibility of shipping vs. the 100 bucks less.....I will take that bet.