The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 22, 2021, 07:49 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Winchester ammunition recall

https://winchester.com/Support/Custo...-115-gr-Recall

Winchester is recalling several lots of 115-grain 9mm ammunition due to faulty or incorrect propellant. The ammo may result in squibs, with the bullet getting stuck in the barrel.

Check your 9mm ammo for lot number(s).
Jeepaholic
Old June 23, 2021, 07:20 AM   #2
gaseousclay

Does Winchester have frequent ammo recalls? Saw a bunch of their ammo pop up online in the last month or so and i'm kinda glad I didn't buy any.

On a similar note, which ammo brands to you guys avoid like the plague? I try to buy from reputable brands like Federal, PMC and IMI as those brands appear to have rock solid reputations. I'm sure there are others but I haven't bought ammo in 9 months
Old June 23, 2021, 08:38 AM   #3
ChasHam

Why are you glad? If none of it is included in the recall, there is no problem.

Any manufacturer of any product can have a quality control problem. Winchester did and they timely addressed it.

Winchester has been making guns and ammo for 150 years. I would think that's about as rock solid as you can get, eh?
Old June 23, 2021, 05:21 PM   #4
gaseousclay

Never heard of recalls from Federal, PMC or IMI. Winchester is a household name so I’m a little surprised they’d have any recalls at all.
Old June 23, 2021, 08:45 PM   #5
kenny53

IMO Winchester has the worst rimfire ammo on the market and I think the rest of their ammo is suspect. . The other day I had my Savage 308 at the range using Winchester ammo. Fired less then half the box and had 2 round not fire. Primer strikes looked a little light so I don't know if it was the gun or the ammo. Next outing I will trying shooting it out of the M1A and see if it works better. Lot of other ammo out there I trust better then Winchester.