The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 9, 2021, 03:38 PM   #26
jackstrawIII

Seems Hawaiian floral print is the new flavor of the day for the cool kids.

But to answer your question, I mostly buy brown or black for concealed. In reality, the difference is probably mute.
Old June 29, 2021, 05:36 AM   #27
shurshot

I prefer brown. Black leather, in my opinion, screams Mall cop / wannabe be, Tacti-cool crowd, trying to pretend they are something they are not, LEO or Military operatives, etc. I always chuckle at these guys at the gun stores, gun shows, range etc. opening carrying in black tactical gear, trying to show off.

Brown matches my belts and is more traditional. To each their own.

Last edited by shurshot; June 29, 2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old June 30, 2021, 10:33 AM   #28
adamBomb

I want mine to be black. Matches my phone and if someone ever saw it, I want them to think thats what it is.
Old July 1, 2021, 01:06 PM   #29
Dunross

If I'm buying a new holster where color is a choice it will generally always be brown. I do happen to wear brown belts unless I'm wearing a suit (rarely!) when I wear black. Either way I have brown and black gun belts so I can match the holster color regardless.

With used holsters color is not usually a factor. If it suits my purpose and the price is right I buy it.
Old July 11, 2021, 02:29 PM   #30
mike!

I like to have a black one and a brown one depending on the color of my belt.
I also have different rings that I wear depending on the color of my watch.
I think I must be the only straight man that is concerned that my accessories match.
Old July 24, 2021, 08:52 PM   #31
Sunflowers+Sixguns

I wear almost exclusively black and dark blue shirts with blue or black jeans or khakis. I can't carry at work, but if I could then I would go for a matte black holster. Non-reflective black is going to break up lines and blend into a black shirt or black jeans, so it should be even harder to print as a firearm. Black hardware against a black belt would almost disappear too.
Old July 25, 2021, 10:50 AM   #32
kje54

I have black and dark earth holsters, I typically wear khaki colored chino pants during the summer up here in the high desert.

Old July 27, 2021, 04:22 AM   #33
Bozz10mm

Most of mine are brown. And I do have a drawer full. I carry IWB almost exclusively, so color is not that important to me.
Old July 27, 2021, 02:21 PM   #34
peacefulgary

I'm fine with black, brown, khaki, woodland camo, desert camo, navy blue, OD green, hunter green, dark green, and gray.
Old August 1, 2021, 04:15 PM   #35
ScottOh

No one ever sees it so color doesn’t really matter…but I like natural!

$cott
Old August 2, 2021, 05:45 AM   #36
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

A dull-colored exterior on the holster doesn't attract the eye if a cover garment rides up or is blown back by an errant gust.

On a dedicated appendix rig, a light-colored interior can be helpful when looking the gun back into the holster and also making it more obvious if any obstructions have found their way in there. Some of the better kydex benders have even done AIWB holsters that are black on the outside and bright green or orange on the inside.
Old August 2, 2021, 03:46 PM   #37
hikingman

Natural, brown or reddish. If you'll buy the black holsters, it will leave more of the others for the rest of us.
Old August 3, 2021, 08:55 PM   #38
JustJake

BHM ....

... Black Holsters Matter.
Old August 14, 2021, 08:48 AM   #39
kje54

Old August 18, 2021, 12:07 AM   #40
TBL004

Have multiple black and brown holsters. Try to keep it simple: black belt, black holster and black mag carrier. Never considered it “accessorizing”.
Old August 18, 2021, 11:25 AM   #41
Captains1911

I'm a sucker for anything Kryptic. But I don't open carry unless it's around my property, most of my concealed carry holsters are black. Different colors/patterns does help in identifying them in the box though.
Old August 27, 2021, 05:36 PM   #42
TBL004

No personal preference. Black or brown depending on clothing options.
Old August 27, 2021, 07:18 PM   #43
rodfac

I use an OWB exclusively and do have both black and brown holsters for my usual carry piece. First off...holster color is not a fashion statement for me. As I make my own, I'm into fit, security and finish. Depending on my wardrobe needs for the day, I choose either black or brown to better hide the rig from inadvertent display. For jeans, a black finish hides better than brown/tan...you get the idea. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 5, 2021, 08:24 PM   #44
sfwusc

I like pocket and iwb —- I usually do black but I don’t know if it matters.
Old September 6, 2021, 06:01 AM   #45
Brit

I have worn 511 pants since picking the first pair up in a visit to the FBI Academy 50 years ago. I have 6 or 7 pairs? These pants screamed cop then! Which I am not! Just a full-time Firearms Instructor. But nowadays everybody wears them, some form of multi-pocket models. In every country.
All mine have a flap pocket that takes a cell phone. I will be 86 YOA next month
Not really into fashion statements.

A black Kydex OWB holster on the right hip, for my Gen 4 Glock 19 covered by a Florida shirt, sweater in cooler weather. Once when loading the Jeep, felt a tug on my shirt (a nice uniformed female Deputy pulling my shirt down!) I called "Thank you" she waved.

Our personal vehicle is a Marked Security Jeep. My Sons Company.
Old October 4, 2021, 06:00 PM   #46
gwpercle

I don't know why but I prefer brown leather . I do have 3 or 4 black leather holsters for formal affairs ...Black coat and tie , but with my blue jeans and T-shirts , I like brown , natural and carved leather holsters .
Gary
Old October 10, 2021, 07:10 AM   #47
Rob228

The majority of my CCW holsters are black, I think I have a few Milt Sparks Summer Specials that are a lighter brown. This thread made me realize that none of them match my belt color, which I guess could show that I am carrying if my shirt raises up that high, but I've come to the realization that:
1) If I print or accidentally make a movement that shows that I am carrying it tends to go unnoticed
2) There are a lot of people open carrying in my area anyway, I am not a fan of open carry but if I print or flash I am not really concerned
3) I don't fully buy into the theory that if my pistol isn't completely hidden I am making myself a target.

From a fashion standpoint.... I may need some different belts.
Old October 11, 2021, 02:17 PM   #48
moose fat

Personal preference, myself I'm partial to brown pancake holsters, floral carved from El Paso Saddelry. The carving is actually art work. I figure if I accidentally expose, the focus will be on the carving and not scream gun, my 2 cents.
Old April 16, 2022, 04:32 AM   #49
hammer_jockey_91

well, i typically go with black.
typically lol no i always go with black.

why? really simple reason really.
black kinda goes with everything. i know that may seem silly to some. but some of my holsters may end up duty holsters or just accompanying me during a formal event such as a protest.
for duty work, ive never been able to wear anything but a black holster anywhere.
for a formal event, wearing some weird bright yellow holster would look silly with the outfit for a typical american (blue jeans and a black T shirt)

so i go with black.
i also have this weird OCD thing if you could call it that.
plastic guns go with plastic holsters. metal guns go with leather holsters
metal guns need wood grips
and the ammo carriers need to match the holster, so leather holster=leather carriers
plastic holster= plastic carriers

(i say carriers because most times i carry a revolver)

but a metal ammo carrier goes with both plastic and leather holsters.
and it goes deeper than that.
the knives have a set of criteria as well that i wont bore you all with

i know i know. its silly. but back to the original topic.
yes, black and only black lol
Six rounds. No compromise.