The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 10, 2021, 06:57 PM   #51
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
A disadvantage over an AR15 wherein the bolt is held all the way to the rear, facilitating a fast reload.
When was the last time an average individual actually needed the maybe one second it takes to simply cycle the bolt on a long gun in a self defense situation?
Old January 11, 2021, 08:02 AM   #52
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
When was the last time an average individual actually needed the maybe one second it takes to simply cycle the bolt on a long gun in a self defense situation?
That assumes that one is talking about the specific scenario of a self-defense situation that you have in your mind. The AR15 and Carbine I have in my possession are being held in my reserve relative to the Second Amendment and the likelihood of a possible insurrection (given the current unrest). Stay out of my fantasies and I will stay out of yours.
Old January 11, 2021, 09:14 AM   #53
zeke

One of the biggest advantages of a bolt locking back is the clear signal you are out of rounds. On a AR-15, especially with a scope prone, it is a major pita (position adjustment) to use the rear cocking handle, as compared to bolt release.
Old January 11, 2021, 11:03 AM   #54
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
One of the biggest advantages of a bolt locking back is the clear signal you are out of rounds. On a AR-15, especially with a scope prone, it is a major pita (position adjustment) to use the rear cocking handle, as compared to bolt release.
Also, I would suppose that in the heat of battle, the bolt locking back was a better indicator of an empty magazine that just a click from an empty chamber. It has been reported that some civil war battlefield pick-ups had several charges, one atop of another, indicating that the fact the the weapon had not fired (and had not recoiled) was not enough to make the soldier realize that his weapon had not fired.

It is too bad that the M1 Carbine was not designed to lock the bolt all the way back on empty ...I think that in a "target rich" environment as were some of the battles in Korea, that such a feature would have been a welcomed improvement.
Old January 11, 2021, 11:35 AM   #55
TBM900

Quote:
That assumes that one is talking about the specific scenario of a self-defense situation that you have in your mind. The AR15 and Carbine I have in my possession are being held in my reserve relative to the Second Amendment and the likelihood of a possible insurrection (given the current unrest). Stay out of my fantasies and I will stay out of yours.
Okay, how about in any verifiable scenario...
Old January 11, 2021, 12:12 PM   #56
RickB

Quote:
I have a 30-round Carbine magazine that has a little ledge "punched in the tube" of the magazine tube, one and one-half inch down from the top on the tube's left-hand side (as viewed from behind. Is that the extension you are referring to?
On the left-rear corner, yes.
Old January 11, 2021, 01:06 PM   #57
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
Okay, how about in any verifiable scenario...
Argumentative...moving you to my ignore list.
Old January 11, 2021, 01:08 PM   #58
dahermit

Just took my M1 Carbine out to shoot a few rounds. Bolt did not want to close all the way. Temperature is 27 degrees Fahrenheit. I suspect that gun grease coupled with an old recoil spring is likely fault. I ordered a Carbine spring kit from Sarco. I will try again after the kit gets here and I have replaced the recoil spring et. al. The Carbine functioned fine that last time I fired it, but that was in the Summer when it was a whole lot warmer.

Last edited by dahermit; January 11, 2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old January 11, 2021, 01:12 PM   #59
TBM900

Quote:
Argumentative...moving you to my ignore list.
Buh-bye
Old January 11, 2021, 01:19 PM   #60
dahermit

Deleted...duplicate post.

Last edited by dahermit; January 12, 2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old January 11, 2021, 04:25 PM   #61
amd6547

Audie Murphy would have won at least a couple more medals, if only his Carbine bolt locked back on empty...not.
Old January 11, 2021, 04:33 PM   #62
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
Audie Murphy would have won at least a couple more medals, if only his Carbine bolt locked back on empty...not.
Old January 11, 2021, 04:39 PM   #63
ghbucky

more details

The barrel is GM Inland, from 10-43. The receiver is also GM, but I don't see a date. What is the AAP engraving in the stock?

Sorry the barrel photo is blurry. The phone just did not want to focus on it.

Does anyone have any storage tips for the canvas case?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0387.jpg (91.5 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.jpg (101.6 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0383.jpg (58.7 KB, 246 views)
Old January 11, 2021, 05:44 PM   #64
TBM900

Augusta Arsenal rebuild plus the initial of the final inspector
I wouldn’t store in canvas (esp if you live in humid loc) without using a VCI bag
Old January 11, 2021, 05:57 PM   #65
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
"reductio ad absurdum"
If Audie Murphy was using an M1 Carbine, he would have been using 15 round magazines with no hold-open magazine followers. He would have either been counting his shots, or shooting until his gun did not fire when he pulled the trigger...I wonder which.
Old January 11, 2021, 06:21 PM   #66
TBM900

I guess Mr Ignore List doesn’t grasp sarcasm
Old January 11, 2021, 06:28 PM   #67
TBM900

Reference the 30 round magazine “nub”
This is what it looks like next to a 15 with no “nub”

FWIW
I suggest folks NOT buy 30’s unless they are willing to fork over the cash for a hardback

IME aftermarket 30’s are more often than not trash
So by the time you buy 3-4 just to find one that is reliable, you could have just bought a hardback

USGI splitbacks are hit or miss as well usually due to being beat
And most of the USGI marketed 30’s are knockoffs
No one has faked hardbacks because they are so expensive/tricky to make, so you’re safe buying one even as a novice

Stick with quality 15’s
Or bite the bullet and buy a hardback 30
Old January 11, 2021, 07:29 PM   #68
zeke

Have had good luck with the Korean UU stamped ones. They were cheap, well built and functioned. Certainly not collectors, and they are painted (not blued). As referenced, not much luck with the older GI splitbacks, and precious little luck with most knock off 30's.

If changing the recoil springs and re-oiling doesn't do it for function, might try cleaning the gas system. If you shoot enough, eventually you will need to.
Old January 12, 2021, 10:16 AM   #69
RickB

Quote:
I suggest folks NOT buy 30’s unless they are willing to fork over the cash for a hardback

IME aftermarket 30’s are more often than not trash
So by the time you buy 3-4 just to find one that is reliable, you could have just bought a hardback

USGI splitbacks are hit or miss as well usually due to being beat
And most of the USGI marketed 30’s are knockoffs
Interesting! I was completely unaware of 30rd magazine lore, beyond "avoid cheap fakes", without knowing how to identify a fake.
CMP has a nice review of 30rd mags, though it appears to be almost fifteen years old, now, and could probably use some updating.
I have four 30rd mags, all of which have been "in the family" for 40 years, and only one is a USGI mag, the others all being commercial, if not "fake".
The Korean mag I bought ten-ish years ago, has all of the apparent "features" of a USGI mag, unlike the commercial models.
Old January 12, 2021, 11:09 AM   #70
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Interesting! I was completely unaware of 30rd magazine lore, beyond "avoid cheap fakes", without knowing how to identify a fake.
CMP has a nice review of 30rd mags, though it appears to be almost fifteen years old, now, and could probably use some updating.
I have four 30rd mags, all of which have been "in the family" for 40 years, and only one is a USGI mag, the others all being commercial, if not "fake".
The Korean mag I bought ten-ish years ago, has all of the apparent "features" of a USGI mag, unlike the commercial models.
Yes that is a very good resource along with a few others
Just beware that some reproductions are REALLY good
I’ve been been buying carbines for more decades than I care to admit
Yet I’ve been burned a few times because I failed to look close enough

Another thing to watch for are the scum making fake mag bricks
They buy the surplus wax paper
Wrap cheap commercial mags with it
Then portray as NIW WWII surplus... ugh!

I even saw a guy put high value mags on either end of the brick
Then invite the buyer to “open one end” to verify
Little did the know the entire middle were ProMags
Freaking scum

Fortunately I’m old enough (ugh) to have been around when you could hardly give away Carbine mags
I can still remember buying sealed cases of mag bricks @$1 per mag
I fortunately still have a few unopened cases
Younglings speak of the pleasure when removing the screen protector on a new iPhone
Meh... I’ll take unwrapping brick of Carbine magazines ANY day

This post prompted me to check auction prices on hardbacks
There are a few BIN options under $100 for NIW
That’s actually not too bad of a price
When this batch dries up they will climb back $150-200
That is until their possession becomes a felony

Sad days...
Old January 13, 2021, 04:03 PM   #71
dahermit

Having searched on the M1 Carbine and fail to return to battery, I found that there has been a history of Carbines not liking grease. So, I removed all the G.I. surplus grease I and lubed the rails, etc., with and replaced it with CLP. I took the Carbine out to my shooting bench (inside a yard barn), and shot 25 rounds. Seems that I do not really need a new recoil spring...just replacing the G.I. grease with CLP oil solved the problem. Full function restored.

As an aside, I did an internet search on the magazine codes I have on my ten 15-round and my one 30 Round magazine. Seems they all are U.S.G.I. by several different makers. And wow! The price of those things now! It is a good thing I have enough...I could not afford to buy real U.S.G.I. mags now.
Old January 14, 2021, 11:18 AM   #72
zeke

Quote:
Having searched on the M1 Carbine and fail to return to battery, I found that there has been a history of Carbines not liking grease. So, I removed all the G.I. surplus grease I and lubed the rails, etc., with and replaced it with CLP. I took the Carbine out to my shooting bench (inside a yard barn), and shot 25 rounds. Seems that I do not really need a new recoil spring...just replacing the G.I. grease with CLP oil solved the problem. Full function restored.

As an aside, I did an internet search on the magazine codes I have on my ten 15-round and my one 30 Round magazine. Seems they all are U.S.G.I. by several different makers. And wow! The price of those things now! It is a good thing I have enough...I could not afford to buy real U.S.G.I. mags now.
Would consider replacing the recoil spring and cleaning the gas system on any WW2 carbine as matter of principle. Being able to function may not be the same as fully functioning, even when cold and dirty.
Old January 14, 2021, 05:45 PM   #73
dahermit

Quote:
Would consider replacing the recoil spring and cleaning the gas system on any WW2 carbine as matter of principle. Being able to function may not be the same as fully functioning, even when cold and dirty.
I will swap-out the recoil spring when the spring kit gets here as a matter of course. Inasmuch as I have had this Carbine for over twenty years, I have cleaned the gas system upon occasion. I have a gas piston wrench, although it is generally not considered to be a good idea to routinely remove it due to its staking.

This is a "fun gun"...only shot occasionally as opposed to being frequently used for hunting or as a defense weapon...spends most of its life sitting in my gun closet.
Old January 14, 2021, 11:12 PM   #74
zeke

Believe you are correct, and have only cleaned the gas system once since owning it. New spring and cleaning it made a noticeable difference in function.
Old January 15, 2021, 09:02 AM   #75
dahermit

Quote:
Believe you are correct, and have only cleaned the gas system once since owning it. New spring and cleaning it made a noticeable difference in function.
I will keep an eye on the gas piston inasmuch as I have 100 rounds of Alox 50/50 lubed cast-lead bullets loaded up that I want to shoot. The rest of my lead bullet supply loaded cartridges are powder coated bullets. Cast bullets (especially Alox lubed) are very dirty shooting, so I anticipate having to clean the gas system after shooting a number of those.