The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Killabee-23

glock 19 trigger job

hey guys so i decided to polish all my trigger parts meaning my connector my trigger par my extractor plunger the striker safety and the striker its self and at home it felt fine dry firing it felt about 4.5 to 5lbs and i went to the range with my friends and for some really weird reason my trigger was extremely heavy i shot about 7 times and it was fine then i put a new mag in and then it was literally a 13lb trigger pull at least i mean it was really bad almost to the point where you couldnt pull the trigger safely i didnt have my tool so i couldnt fix it on the spot even dry firing it was a major difference i was really worried and it wonderment as to why this was happening so i went home and oiled in between the trigger connector and the trigger housing and now it feels great dry firing it seems to be back to normal but i havent put live rounds through it yet so idk if it is fixed yet i guess what im wondering is has this happened to anybody else? i know exactly how the gun works and functions so i dont think ill need to bring it to a gunsmith but if its not fixed after this i dont really know what to do any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old December 20, 2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Dragline45

Unless you know what you are doing you should never polish the internals of your pistol. Whether you realize it or not you are changing the geometry of those parts, and it can not only make them unsafe, but more often than not will give you an inconsistent trigger pull from shot to shot. This is why I try not to buy used guns, because I cant count the number of times I was interested in buying a gun from a personal sale and the seller told me they polished all the internals as if that was a good thing, in all those cases I passed.

Send it to Glock for servicing, upon seeing the polished parts they will pull them all out and replace them as they would never let it leave the factory like that. More likely than not they wont even charge you for the parts.
Old December 20, 2015, 05:15 PM   #3
lee n. field

Periods (".") are a thing.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 20, 2015, 05:25 PM   #4
TunnelRat

When you say polish, with what did you polish the parts? A dremel, or some Flitz and a Q-tip? With the Flitz and Q-tip I've gotten good results and been confident that I didn't change the dimensions of the parts. Beforehand I'll sometimes use 0000 steel wool. My recommendation would be a full disassemly and then a reassembly where you examine each part. Make sure everything is installed correctly. Heck, put a video tutorial on in the process just for kicks to make sure you're not having a memory lapse. I wouldn't trust it until I'd shot it again and it functioned without any issues for a few hundred rounds. If you still have issues I'd buy replacement parts of what you polished.

And yea, punctuation is important.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 20, 2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Killabee-23

thats the thing i only used some mothers mag and aluminum polishand not much of it at that i saw videos of people filing there stuff down with sandpaper and dremels and i was like ill just give it a shine by hand and idk if this was it but i had my extractor plunger in backwards lol i must have just thrown my gun together after cleaning it i oiled it up and went back to the range and its back to normal now idk why it was doing that it was like the connector and the trigger housing were just bone dry or something i only took 3 shots with it after i oiled it and it was running like clockwork but like i said that was only 3 shots but i really dont see how taking some dirt and gunpowder residue off from the trigger assembly could do anything that drastic its not like i used sandpaper on it or filed it down like some people i know i am a very anxious person when it comes to messing with my guns functions the only thing i really have done to my guns has been cosmetic except for replacing my OEM guide rod with a tungsten rod idk hopefully it was just because i put the extractor plunger in backwards but that doesnt seem like something that would make it do that
Old December 20, 2015, 09:16 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Yea...so again punctuation helps.

Given what you said I'd test it more but if it seems to be working so be it. I do think a complete disassembly just to visually inspect the parts might be a good idea.
Old December 20, 2015, 09:27 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Have you checked the firing pin safety spring? It's supposed to be "snapped" into the recess in firing pin safety. If that's not done before reassembly the spring can get sideways in the cavity and be smashed. If that happens the trigger pull would get really bad--and the firing pin safety probably wouldn't work right anymore.

The extractor plunger being in backwards wouldn't make a difference in trigger pull as the extractor doesn't bear against any parts in the trigger linkage.
Old December 20, 2015, 09:32 PM   #8
Killabee-23

yeah sorry i forget to put periods in lol. but yeah i did a complete disassembly when i got home and inspected every single part thoroughly and oiled the parts that were looking very dry. it ran fine for those three rounds so hopefully i fixed the problem whatever that was lol and by the way you dont need to keep putting the little beginner tips at the bottom of your posts.i have been shooting guns for all my life so ive been told these things and told other people like 100,000 times lol but thanks for the answers. oh and by the way so i completely disassembled my glock the other day and i went to put it back together and the slide lock spring was removed i was like confused because i did not remove it it must have flew or fell out will glock replace this part for free? and if so how would i go about that would i go to my local dealer that sold me the gun or call glock themselfs?
Old December 20, 2015, 09:41 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
and by the way you dont need to keep putting the little beginner tips at the bottom of your posts.i have been shooting guns for all my life so ive been told these things and told other people like 100,000 times lol but thanks for the answers.
As strange as this may seem, I'm not doing that just for you specifically. That's part of my signature for every post I make on this forum. A signature is a pretty standard thing for internet forums. In this case it just repeats tenets that are important for gun owners. I like you but I'm really not that concerned about your well being that I am specifically repeating tips to just you.
Old December 20, 2015, 10:58 PM   #10
JDBerg

I would take that gun to a Glock armorer & have a full detail strip, inspection & cleaning done on that 19. It costs me $35.00 for my 17 & 21 and I think this is very cheap insurance for a carry gun.

Last edited by JDBerg; December 20, 2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old December 21, 2015, 01:06 AM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...the slide lock spring was removed i was like confused because i did not remove it it must have flew or fell out will glock replace this part for free? and if so how would i go about that would i go to my local dealer that sold me the gun or call glock themselfs?
The slide lock spring is the small spring that tensions the small part with the tabs that are pulled down to disassemble the pistol. If it had come out during the range trip, the gun would likely have disassembled itself while firing.

They do break--but only very rarely.

You can try calling Glock to see if they will send you a new slide lock spring, or you can purchase one from a company like Glockmeister or TopGunSupply.

I agree that if this is a gun you rely on for self-defense, it's probably time to have someone look it over to see what's going on with it.
Old December 21, 2015, 01:10 PM   #12
Killabee-23

well thanks for your concern tunnelrat you make me feel all warm and fuzzy haha. And i know what the slide lock spring is and what it does lol. I just threw a bobby pin in there for now and it works just fine. but yeah i didnt take out the original one so it must have came out on its own.ill contact glock and ask them to send me a new one thanks for the opinions fellas
Old December 21, 2015, 03:47 PM   #13
Sharkbite

Quote:
I just threw a bobby pin in there for now and it works just fine
Are you KIDDING?!?!?!?
Old December 21, 2015, 11:37 PM   #14
Captains1911

I really hope this isn't a serious thread. Seriously...
Old December 21, 2015, 11:44 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
And i know what the slide lock spring is and what it does lol.
I didn't intend any offense, it's just that there's often confusion about the slide lock and the slide stop on the Glock products.

Also, it's pretty unusual for the slide lock spring to come out on its own unless it has been removed/replaced a LOT and even then, not unless the slide lock is out of the gun. And it's not a common part to break.

I still think that it would be worthwhile to have someone look the gun over. The trigger pull anomaly is not at all normal, and it's also not normal for the slide lock spring to just fall out of the gun.
Old December 22, 2015, 02:24 AM   #16
849ACSO

You could likely go to your local PD or Sheriff's Office and find a Glock armorer tht will go through the gun for you. Once it's back together and running OK, stop messing with the internals if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing. If you want to help that GOD AWFUL Glock trigger pull, buy replacement parts, don't go fiddling with the parts that are in it.
Old December 22, 2015, 08:37 AM   #17
AK103K

Quote:
If you want to help that GOD AWFUL Glock trigger pull, buy replacement parts, don't go fiddling with the parts that are in it.
Id replace the parts that I thought were messed with using factory parts. I generally wont buy something I think someone messed with, unless it looks to be something simple I can fix, and I can get it for a good price. Ive actually got some great deals that way too. Glocks are simple and normally easily fixed/restored.

The funny thing with guns people often complain about, especially with things that they arent used to is, all the bad stuff seems to miraculously disappear the more you shoot and become familiar with them. Glocks triggers are no better or worse than any of the others, just not those other triggers you might be accustomed to. As with most things though, you dont get to know them, by just shooting a mag or two.
Old December 22, 2015, 09:58 AM   #18
JDBerg

I shoot my 17 and 21 a lot and I still don't understand what is so objectionable about the Glock trigger pull that the "YouTube Gunsmiths" want to change it which can adversely affect the reliability of a Glock pistol.

I had this discussion with my gunsmith who armors these guns for me and and the only Glock trigger mod he will recommend or perform in the first place is to replace the stock trigger connector with a Glock "minus" connector, provided the end user is not a LEO.

This guy armors the duty Glocks carried by several of the local police dept's and they are prohibited by regulation from modifying the triggers on their duty guns. I consider this guy an expert and his opinion trumps most everybody else I know who has an opinion on the subject, so what gives?
Old December 22, 2015, 12:28 PM   #19
849ACSO

I too am a Glock armorer, and have been since about 1998. I'm certainly not a Glock fan. I personally don't like the grip angle, the grip contour, and the AWFUL trigger pull. That being said, the Glock is a durable, simple, effective design, that I don't PERSONALLY like. The trigger CAN BE mastered, with training and trigger time, not a dremel tool and shaved parts. The "minus connector" you talk about I'm assuming is the 3.5 lb connector, and our department policy is ANY factory connector can be installed at the preference of the officer. The 3.5 lb connector still has you at close to 5 lb on the trigger, which is completely acceptable.
Old December 22, 2015, 12:54 PM   #20
JDBerg

Quote:
I personally don't like the grip angle, the grip contour, and the AWFUL trigger pull.
No problem with what you're saying here, I'd probably go with the 5" bbl. Walther PPQ M2 over the Glock 17 if I'm doing an objective & honest comparison of these guns right now, "IMHO" the PPQ has a better trigger, and an unmolested 17 or 19 is worth more in trade towards one of these, i.e., if you don't like the Glock trigger there are "better" alternatives today that didn't exist a few years back.
Old December 22, 2015, 06:38 PM   #21
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killabee-23 View Post
hey guys so i decided to polish all my trigger parts meaning my connector my trigger par my extractor plunger the striker safety and the striker its self and at home it felt fine dry firing it felt about 4.5 to 5lbs and i went to the range with my friends and for some really weird reason my trigger was extremely heavy i shot about 7 times and it was fine then i put a new mag in and then it was literally a 13lb trigger pull at least i mean it was really bad almost to the point where you couldnt pull the trigger safely i didnt have my tool so i couldnt fix it on the spot even dry firing it was a major difference i was really worried and it wonderment as to why this was happening so i went home and oiled in between the trigger connector and the trigger housing and now it feels great dry firing it seems to be back to normal but i havent put live rounds through it yet so idk if it is fixed yet i guess what im wondering is has this happened to anybody else? i know exactly how the gun works and functions so i dont think ill need to bring it to a gunsmith but if its not fixed after this i dont really know what to do any advice would be greatly appreciated

Do what all the XD guys do. Sell the Glock you messed up. Buy an XD. Then tell everybody how crappy Glocks are.
Old December 24, 2015, 01:02 PM   #22
849ACSO

Of the plastic service pistols, IMHO the XD has the best out of the box trigger going.............
Old December 24, 2015, 01:13 PM   #23
AK103K

The last "bad" factory trigger I saw, was in a Springfield 1911, and that was back around the late 90's. There was something wrong with it, and that was obvious.

Other than that, I cant remember a factory trigger on anything Ive shot, that was what Id call "bad", or even iffy. Then again, Im not trigger phobic.
Old December 24, 2015, 02:55 PM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Of the plastic service pistols, IMHO the XD has the best out of the box trigger going......
If you get a chance, try the trigger on a SIG P320 or an H&K VP9. I haven't tried them all and some of the Walther triggers are also very good from what I hear, but those two are the best I have had the opportunity to check out.
Old December 24, 2015, 03:09 PM   #25
TunnelRat

I've owned two XDms and an XD. I thought they were pretty rugged and I liked the ergos, but none of them had triggers that to me were notably better than anything else out there.

Tags
glock , issues , striker , trigger assembly , trigger connector