The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2010, 08:51 AM   #26
gyvel

Quote:
Apologies for not being clear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was using the term striker fired for pistols without external hammers. And I was incorrect for doing so, as I lumped all into one cagtegory. Yes, most of the guns without external hammers do use internal ones, as opposed to those designs which are actually "striker fired" and have no hammer at all.

My bad! Sorry!
Oops! My bad, too. I was under the impression that you thought most, if not all, the .22s mentioned had spring driven strikers.

Sorry about that!

Last edited by gyvel; January 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old January 2, 2010, 10:52 PM   #27
XDm-9mm

Hammer VS Striker

Are there any performance benefits to a hammer vs striker. Most of the hammer designs I've seen on Semiauto guns don't look like the hammer would get hung up on clothes. So what are the pros and cons? Feel free to be as detailed as necessary, I want specifics as well as personal preference info.

Thanks!
Old January 2, 2010, 11:04 PM   #28
carguychris

One plus of a hammer is that you can hold the hammer of your DA/SA or DAO pistol down with your thumb as you holster it, preventing the pistol from discharging if the trigger is inadvertantly pulled.

Another plus is that many DA/SA or DAO pistols have second-strike capability, meaning you can hit a stubborn round repeatedly by simply stroking the trigger again. Some people argue that you're unlikely to realize that a round failed to go off during a real-world gunfight, or that clearing the pistol by racking the slide takes too long.

One plus of striker-fired designs is the cleaner, more snag-free profile. Another is that most striker-fired designs are mechanically simpler. A third plus is that the trigger pull is the same every time, without being as long and heavy as most traditional DAO designs.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:06 PM   #29
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Near-duplicate threads merged.
Old January 3, 2010, 06:37 AM   #30
NWCP

If you have a FTF a DA/SA action will allow you to try a second hammer strike with the errant ammo before having to go through clearing the bad round and chambering a new one. The only striker fired pistols I own are a Kahr PM9 and a couple of the HK P7s. I've yet to have a failure with any of them. While I like my Kahr and the P7s I do carry an exposed hammer pistol the majority of the time be it SA only, or DA/SA. Old habits...
Old January 3, 2010, 01:36 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

The most important benefit

Is psychological. Hammer guns provide a visual, and tactile means of telling when the gun is cocked, and when it is not.

Also, hammer guns always have a means (if not a safe one) for lowering the hammer, making the gun clearly visually safe.

A snag free draw is more a matter of the holster used, the clothes worn and your personal proficiency, but hammerless pistols do usually have less to snag on.

Tags
hammer , striker