The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2020, 01:44 PM   #1
hooligan1

.270 Winchester, Norma brass.

I managed to pick up some new brass, and was wondering if anybody else here has converted any to 7 Mauser.
T. Ohearme doesnt need to reply, based off his re ord for not knowing that small things do matter.

I have used 50 pieces to convert so far, but havent shot any yet.

Last edited by hooligan1; January 22, 2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old January 21, 2020, 03:25 PM   #2
ligonierbill

No experience converting 270, but I just loaded 50 7x57 using once fired Norma brass. The necks are outrageously tight! A pain to pull over the sizing mandrel, even with some mica, and trimming requires a secondary grip on the case to keep it from spinning. It was all that Midway had when I started loading this round, but I found some cheap PRVI brass at Powder Valley this afternoon.

Why are you converting?
Old January 21, 2020, 08:29 PM   #3
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill View Post
No experience converting 270, but I just loaded 50 7x57 using once fired Norma brass. The necks are outrageously tight! A pain to pull over the sizing mandrel, even with some mica, and trimming requires a secondary grip on the case to keep it from spinning. It was all that Midway had when I started loading this round, but I found some cheap PRVI brass at Powder Valley this afternoon.

Why are you converting?
Norma brass is top shelf. Its about all I use. If its too thick, inside ream it or outside turn it. Prvi is decent, but their 7x57 has s lot of rim thickness inconsistencies.
Old January 21, 2020, 10:00 PM   #4
603Country

All my 270 brass is Norma. Good stuff.
Old January 22, 2020, 05:24 AM   #5
hooligan1

ligonierbill, building up my reserves, firstly.
I like being able to see what can be done in converting.
I could probably find 7 mauser brass, but I got such a great buy on this brass, and decided to test it.
Old January 22, 2020, 07:08 AM   #6
ligonierbill

Rants aside, I agree Norma makes good brass. FWIW I go Lapua if I want to treat myself. But now I'm intrigued by this conversion. The 270 case is a lot longer, and more important, the shoulder is a good 5mm ahead of the 7 Mauser's. Looks hard to me. Tell us more about your process hooligan.
Old January 22, 2020, 04:47 PM   #7
hooligan1

Well I started by annealing into the shoulder of the. 270 case, then with a drill mounted in a vice with a cutoff wheel attached, I cut right at a quarter inch, give or take a sixteenth, off the neck.
I then took a Lyman vld style neck camfering tool and cleaned the inside of that cut up just a tad,.
I lubricated the neck with a qtip and case lube, and went to the trimmer and squared the neck, and then deburred, lubed, and sent it into my 7 mauser sizing die, sometimes it took a couple strokes to get shoulder length I wanted.
But basically thats all it took before I took all of those 50 over and reset my trimmer, trimmed to length, camfered and deburred then primed.
Old January 23, 2020, 07:52 PM   #8
hooligan1

Im suprised not many do this, I want you to know I also get to test loads with this brass for my .270 win.
Old January 23, 2020, 11:50 PM   #9
RC20

If I can get brass made by someone I have no desire to roll my own. All my calibers are standard and available (well the 7.5 Swiss not so much but plenty of PPU to be had, I would now own any 7.5 if I had to make it)

Entertainment for some and a ??????? for others.

If it floats your boat that is nice, but not sure why you would think it odd that others would just buy the stuff.
Old January 24, 2020, 02:07 AM   #10
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
If I can get brass made by someone I have no desire to roll my own. All my calibers are standard and available (well the 7.5 Swiss not so much but plenty of PPU to be had, I would now own any 7.5 if I had to make it)

Entertainment for some and a ??????? for others.

If it floats your boat that is nice, but not sure why you would think it odd that others would just buy the stuff.
The same question could be asked about reloading in general.
Old January 24, 2020, 07:09 PM   #11
hooligan1

Hey 603country, if you purchase new Norma brass do you feel compelled to run it through the sizer before you load it
Old January 24, 2020, 08:31 PM   #12
603Country

hooligan, I usually don’t run them through a die prior to loading em up. I do trim the cases and Bevel and chamfer the case mouth.
Old January 26, 2020, 08:48 AM   #13
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
Hey 603country, if you purchase new Norma brass do you feel compelled to run it through the sizer before you load it
I have to run new Norma brass through a neck sizer due to shipping deformation.
Old January 26, 2020, 11:21 AM   #14
hooligan1

I loaded 15 in a 5 rnd data test, looking for accuracy and a 150 ABLR, paired with Magpro and CCI 250 primers.
So far loading the new brass has been cool, no neck deformities in any of those cases.
Old January 26, 2020, 12:51 PM   #15
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
I loaded 15 in a 5 rnd data test, looking for accuracy and a 150 ABLR, paired with Magpro and CCI 250 primers.
So far loading the new brass has been cool, no neck deformities in any of those cases.
Mine all seem to come with about 20% of the necks dented. If I tried to put a flat base bullet in them, I would crush them. To be clear, that is my experience with all brands, not just Norma. I think the "box man" plays football with the packages.
Old January 27, 2020, 06:53 AM   #16
hooligan1

reynolds357, Ive been looking at the brass, some are dented but mostly nice.
It held up decent to my test, some loads grouped better than others of course, but overall real happy with outcome, on both .270 and the 7 mauser.
Old January 28, 2020, 04:19 PM   #17
Paul B.

"I loaded 15 in a 5 rnd data test, looking for accuracy and a 150 ABLR, paired with Magpro and CCI 250 primers.
So far loading the new brass has been cool, no neck deformities in any of those cases."

So what were your results with the ABLR. I've been trying to get that bullet to work in three different 7x57s and the results are just patterns. What powder were you using. I've been working with Rl17 which has been very good with the Nosler Partitions but so far it seems the ABLR no likee.
Paul B.
Old January 28, 2020, 08:40 PM   #18
hooligan1

Paul B. Those were .270 test, and they were decent, not stellar. Best load was a tad over moa, but promising.
Old January 28, 2020, 08:57 PM   #19
sako2

Hooligan and Paul when I was working up a load with the 190gn ablr for my 300. I was told by a nosler tech to get within .050 of the lands.
Old January 29, 2020, 11:33 AM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

Sako2,

That 0.05 number is probably correct for their load data pressures with that bullet. Accuracy can be something else that requires somewhat different load data. That's one thing Berger found for its secant ogive VLD bullets is that there isn't any one right amount of bullet jump that is optimal for accuracy. It varies by the gun, so you have to try it out.

Looking at this bullet, it is quite long. It appears to be designed to have a stability factor of 1.5 shooting at typical 150 grain 270 Win velocities in a standard atmosphere with the 10" twist. However, I notice from the cutaway image at Nosler's site that the copper is thick at the rear and the lead is forward. This will move the center of gravity forward which will make the bullet sensitive to in-bore bullet tilt. For that reason, I would expect it to be more important to eliminate cartridge runout than it is for the average bullet.

Paul B.,

Which of the three 7 mm ABLR's are you trying to shoot and at what velocity and in what weather conditions?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 29, 2020, 09:14 PM   #21
hooligan1

Unclenick, I've been testing 168 and 175 grn ABLRS for my 7 mauser, but the bullet I really want to shoot for deer are 175 grn SBT Sierra's.
The weather here is cold, 30's or colder.
When I hunt deer its about the same
Two points I might add is that this is a 22" 1:8" twist Shilen barrel in a #3 contour.
Ran into some minor issues, also changing trigger and bolt shroud, and my team is in the big game this weekend so testing put into rest mode for a few weeks.
Old January 30, 2020, 03:06 PM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

The Sierra's are a little shorter and don't have the big forward density shift. This will both make them easier to stabilize and less picky about cartridge runout. In other words, I don't expect the ABLR issues will apply to the Sierra's. If the Sierra's don't shoot for you, I would start looking for another problem: Loose scope mount or scope internals; stock screw needing tightening, bedding with gap that lets the rifle shift, stock touching the barrel where it shouldn't, uneven bolt locking lug contact; in other words, all the usual suspects.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 31, 2020, 05:52 AM   #23
hooligan1

And preliminary testing hasnt been dreadful for either bullet so far.