The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 14, 2018, 08:59 PM   #1
stonewall50

Chiappa Rhino .357 Any hands on?

A friend of mine bought one of these not too long ago. For monetary reasons he is looking to get rid of it. I am curious...does anyone have any hands on experience with it? Is it any good? I have a Ruger Security Six...so I don’t need another .357 mag EVER lol. But I’m intrigued by the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 14, 2018, 09:15 PM   #2
tallball

I shot six rounds through a 9mm version the other day. It was odd-looking, but shooting it felt normal enough.
Old June 14, 2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Sevens

It's a poorly engineered design AND built by a company that is well known for shoddy manufacturing. I broke one on the 2nd or 3rd DA dry fire in the largest gun store within a hundred miles of my home. I apologized and the salesman thanked ME, happy that it didn't fail for a new owner.

A friend of mine bought a lightly used one and we both shot it, thoroughly impressed with the bottom-chamber concept, it absolutely redirects recoil and muzzle flip.

If a real, quality gunmaker ever tackles the concept, I'd definitely try it. But Chiappa makes crap, and this is NO secret.
Old June 14, 2018, 10:32 PM   #4
stonewall50

Chiappa Rhino .357 Any hands on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
It's a poorly engineered design AND built by a company that is well known for shoddy manufacturing. I broke one on the 2nd or 3rd DA dry fire in the largest gun store within a hundred miles of my home. I apologized and the salesman thanked ME, happy that it didn't fail for a new owner.

A friend of mine bought a lightly used one and we both shot it, thoroughly impressed with the bottom-chamber concept, it absolutely redirects recoil and muzzle flip.

If a real, quality gunmaker ever tackles the concept, I'd definitely try it. But Chiappa makes crap, and this is NO secret.

Yea. That is essentially how I felt about the brand. I don’t trust it. I don’t know much about it. But I love the concept.

Last edited by stonewall50; June 15, 2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old June 14, 2018, 10:43 PM   #5
Justin62882

They really have started selling more since Harley Quinn uses it in suicide squad. I went to order my sw 686 deluxe today and talked for a bit. I guess they've sold a bunch since that movie. I haven't heard much on them but they didn't have anything negative to say.
Old June 15, 2018, 05:31 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Wanted one.
Really, really wanted one.
Followed them from announcement to introduction (and expansion of the model line).

Finally got my hands on THREE at the same time.
Walked away without dropping a dime.

Poor build quality.
Crap fire control mechanism.

...I don't trust them.
Old June 15, 2018, 05:34 AM   #7
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin62882 View Post
They really have started selling more since Harley Quinn uses it in suicide squad. I went to order my sw 686 deluxe today and talked for a bit. I guess they've sold a bunch since that movie. I haven't heard much on them but they didn't have anything negative to say.

What? Total Recall (Collin Ferrel) wasn’t that popular? lol.

Old June 15, 2018, 05:35 AM   #8
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Wanted one.

Really, really wanted one.

Followed them from announcement to introduction (and expansion of the model line).

Finally got my hands on THREE at the same time.

Walked away without dropping a dime.

Poor build quality.

Crap fire control mechanism.

...I don't trust them.

I wonder if anyone will ever take the concept out and build it better? I guess I have some reading to do if I like the idea. I’m glad I see some other people loved the concept. Sad to see they suck at build though.

Old June 15, 2018, 05:36 AM   #9
CajunBass

I looked at one when they first came out. It felt good in my hand, but overall it was just too "goofy" for me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 15, 2018, 05:40 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I wonder if anyone will ever take the concept out and build it better? I guess I have some reading to do if I like the idea. I’m glad I see some other people loved the concept. Sad to see they suck at build though.
Unlikely, but I'd be interested if someone did.
Old June 15, 2018, 05:45 AM   #11
stonewall50

Well there is the Mateba. Designed by the same guy as the Rhino. But it is an “auto revolver.” Sounds icky. But still, I like the concept.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-autorevolver/

Old June 15, 2018, 06:36 AM   #12
Don P

For what its worth. I worked and shot the past two IRC's held in Frostproof FL. There was a squad from Italy at the match and they all were shooting Chiappa's and all ran flawlessly. They were the title sponsor for the 2016 IRC and had a table full of the revolvers for all to try for the entire weekend. Again what I witnessed at the 2 matches and what the shooters said about the guns did not depict what has been stated about breakage.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 15, 2018, 08:05 AM   #13
Areoflyer09

Outside of the internet, I’ve talked to several people that own them and they don’t have bad things to say about them. The only negatives I’ve heard from owners has been on forums. Leads me to believe they aren’t as fragile as they claim.

I’ve held and dry fired the 2” DAO and a 4” model. I quite like them, they fit me well where a lot of revolvers are uncomfortable. Almost bought the 4”, but decided I was looking for something heavier.

FWIW, the 2” model I tried had a smoother trigger than both the J-frames that were next to it.
Old June 15, 2018, 08:47 AM   #14
Radny97

I’ve shot one a couple times. I was favorably impressed. Trigger was good. Recoil was almost nil with full house loads. Ran fine for me. I only put about 20 rounds through it each time. But it was under the rental counter at my range and they rented it fairly frequently with no issues.

Old June 15, 2018, 11:56 AM   #15
bbbbryan

I have a 30DS and 40DS. I dry fire with and without snapcaps. I've taken them out the range and shot .38 special, but mostly .357. I have no complaints whatsoever. I've shot the 30DS more as I am considering it as my primary carry firearm. It handles .357 easily, with about as much kick as a micro 9mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AF4F49A3-1C80-404E-98B1-0063B60604B6.jpeg (118.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpeg 84FE1081-5F81-4FA5-B879-B923A194E035.jpeg (117.2 KB, 86 views)
Old June 15, 2018, 01:55 PM   #16
johnm1

I like mine. I kinda wanted one to see if the bottom chamber really did reduce recoil. But I wasn't going to spend the money on one. But it came to me as a gift. Tested it against my 4" Security Six and the felt recoil from the bottom chamber was much nicer. The fire control is significantly more complicated than any of the more common revolvers. If something breaks it will have to go back to the factory. Mine is never coming apart on my bench. I thought the fit and finish was acceptable. Nothing to write home about. For a revolver that expensive I'd would have hoped for a more appealing finish. But there weren't any gouges or finish faults and all of the joints were tight. It is ugly but it fits my hand well. Single action is very nice though cocking is a bit harder than I'd like. Double action is 'OK'. It is my hunting side arm. Mine is one of the earlier versions in .357. It is not countersunk for moon clips and has the standard fire control 'Trigger Pack'. I've got a couple of hundred rounds through mine and no failures.
Old June 20, 2018, 09:19 PM   #17
Andy Blozinski

I personally own one and have packed it for years. Nickel plated 40DS (4" barrel). I haven't kept track, but probably put 1,000 rounds at least through it. It makes for a great concealment pistol. I swapped out the rear sight for the sight off the 6" version because it has the fibre optic rods and it's lower profile. It has no muzzle flip. The recoil is straight back. I can accurately off hand shoot single handedly with .357 magnum.
There are two generations of the pistol out. The first generation had issues. I did my research and those issues went away with the second generation. mostly. Still a bit of trigger pull, but not as bad as the first generation. I sent mine into to them to get the trigger lightened and it's pretty nice. Everyone who shoots it enjoys it.
The first generation ones do not have the fibre optic in the front sight or the moon clips. Many places that had them for sale when I went shopping were still showing the old stock first generation photos, even though they were selling second generation.
Old June 20, 2018, 11:56 PM   #18
Sequins

I love them. I have a friend with the six inch model in anodized gold... It's simply beautiful and it never fails to turn heads. I personally think the bottom rail design is a lot of fun, and although the trigger isn't excellent like a custom smith it is still good by any measure.
Old June 22, 2018, 03:21 PM   #19
mk70ss

Ugliest revolver ever made in my opinion.
Old July 5, 2018, 12:16 PM   #20
Clock

I have a 357 and have had no problems with it. It seems well made & sturdy enough for use as a gun. I suppose if I were to use it as a sledge hammer it might have some issues but in normal use it's fine. BTW, the recoil is nothing, like shooting a KelTec P32.
Old July 20, 2018, 03:21 AM   #21
Nakanokalronin

I recently sold mine due to how a catastrophic failure can lead to you losing a finger. The barrel on the bottom is great for taming muzzle flip, but any overcharged loads or squib rounds have been known to blow out towards the bottom in every instance I've read about. The result is the frame grenades and takes some of the person's fingers with it as well. I saw a post about this happening very recently, but there have been quite a few before.

Now before someone posts pictures of other brands of revolvers exploding for the same reasons, notice how they typically get destroyed by blowing out from the top or the sides, not down while also taking out the frame as well as the shooters finger or hand.

It's a cool design, but I plan on replacing it with something similar and in a traditional configuration like a TRR8.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; July 20, 2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old July 20, 2018, 10:50 AM   #22
craddleshooter

no doubt one of the reasons I wanted one for my first revolver is just because it looks modern and not like a usual revolver.

one of the downsides of being born past the age of revolvers, I can't tell a Model 19 from a Colt Python unless it graces Bac's pink carpet.
Old July 20, 2018, 11:57 AM   #23
claydoctor

Reminds me of Lewis Grizzard's description of something being "uglier than a bowling shoe".
Old July 20, 2018, 03:05 PM   #24
smee78

If the price is right give it a try. If not then let it go, ask your buddy to let you shoot it first. Seems a lot of internet talk without many first hand experiences. I like the looks of the 4" model and would take one for a spin if I had the chance.
Old July 20, 2018, 04:28 PM   #25
bbbbryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
I recently sold mine due to how a catastrophic failure can lead to you losing a finger. The barrel on the bottom is great for taming muzzle flip, but any overcharged loads or squib rounds have been known to blow out towards the bottom in every instance I've read about. The result is the frame grenades and takes some of the person's fingers with it as well. I saw a post about this happening very recently, but there have been quite a few before.

Now before someone posts pictures of other brands of revolvers exploding for the same reasons, notice how they typically get destroyed by blowing out from the top or the sides, not down while also taking out the frame as well as the shooters finger or hand.

It's a cool design, but I plan on replacing it with something similar and in a traditional configuration like a TRR8.

That TRR8 is damn beautiful