The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2018, 01:34 AM   #1
Beagle333

New pot on the way

Midway had these babies on sale last week for $109 with a $25 rebate from RCBS. I had to jump on it! Heck, a PID wired and ready is worth the $84 bucks by itself. It holds 25# of lead.
But I do like dipping sometimes, especially when I'm casting pure lead for my classic single cavs, or round balls and heavy 45-70 bullets.
I think this'll make a great addition to my Pro Melt and Mag 25 in the casting shed.

{Edit to remove copyrighted and hotlinked material. Please read the board policy on posting coprighted materials and on hotlinking. A link to Midway's site would have been OK to do.}
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 4, 2018, 05:26 PM   #2
joed

The biggest thing I can tell you is watch the thermostat. I started with a Lee and it varied 300 degrees, I got rid of it pretty fast.
Old April 5, 2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Beagle333

Well, I'm not at all unhappy with my deal on the Easy Melt, but wouldn't you know it.... the long awaited Pro-Melt 2 is now in stock!!!

I hope it's a great pot! Now to wait for a sale and rebate on that one.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 7, 2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Joed,

It has a PID temperature controller. Super stable. The thermostat on their original Pro-Melt was not bad at all, but the auto-tuning PID control is the cat's meow.

The Lee design tries to get a temperature drop to let them use an indirectly coupled thermostat actually designed for lower temperatures. The problem is that the heat path that drops the temperature is also very slow, so the control point hysteresis is terrible. Not one of their more successful efforts.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle