The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old October 26, 2008, 10:26 PM   #101
blhseawa

I've thought about this thread for awhile, I'm not sure what is a appropriate response to the question that started this thread, as the America I fought for and I loved is gone! The Patriot Act and Congress destroyed what remained of her. Liberty and responsibility are two sides of the same coin IMHO. My only answer is the suggestion that you review the first paragraph of the declaration of independence. I fear the time is drawing near. Congress has foregone its responsibility. Keep the powder dry!

God bless America and pass the ammo!

Lastly, What guns? That's my story and I'm sticking to it, till it is time!

YMMV
Old October 26, 2008, 10:35 PM   #102
Dos

Don't worry about a "what if" ban on guns. There are more guns than people in the country already. Want something special...get it NOW !
Old October 27, 2008, 10:27 PM   #103
skydiver3346

banning guns?

No way without changing the Constitution and right to bear arms. However, they could screw around with you by charging you a high yearly fee to own each weapon you have and possibly stop the large purchase of ammo down the road. Anything is possible.........
Old October 28, 2008, 05:32 PM   #104
AllAmerican

I lost mine in a boating accident......................

......me too. My flat bottom boat turned over in the river and I lost all of them. sorry
Old October 28, 2008, 11:51 PM   #105
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

Quote:
guns in primary schools have you gone mad

on a serious note, the only thing taught in primary schools is they are bad, don't touch and tell an adult (or something like that)
G'day! Hopefully you were just kidding about giving guns to primary school classes!? This got me thinking, so I've started another thread on the subject.

Teaching responsible firearms etiquette is not the same as teaching firearm usage and technique. It's like teaching kids road safety, it can be done, without giving children the keys to the family car! Regardless of their age and maturity - some things need to be taught.
Old October 29, 2008, 08:49 AM   #106
Superhornet

Very easy to outlaw guns......Majority or Super majority in both houses, where no filibuster can be allowed......bill to ban passed---signed by the President.......into law.......turn em in now........easy as pie....
Old October 29, 2008, 08:57 AM   #107
44Magnum

Just one problem with that logic.......The Supreme Court will hear something quickly and find it unconstitutional, and you need to have 2/3 majority to change that pesky, antiquated constitution.

2/3 may become democrat, but that doesn't mean 2/3 have the cahones to take the constitution head on.

Guns are not going away any time soon. Anyway, I don't own any guns, do you? My gun came loose from the holster when I was going to the bathroom and was accidentally flushed.... Never saw it again.

Do 'ya really think a guy with the handle "44Magnum" owns a small enough gun to fit down a pipe?
Old October 29, 2008, 10:20 AM   #108
mpage

The RKBA will be decided by the Supreme Court. No President will magically declare gun ownership illegal. People said the same thing about Clinton.

Even if that did somehow happen, most gun enthusiasts (particularly con$ervatives/people to the Right) would never in a million years take part in some armed insurrection.
Old October 29, 2008, 11:06 AM   #109
21CFA

What will happen if. . . . .???

There is a solution, and it is in the Declaration of Independence, sentence 2: "...it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it ((Government)) and to establish new..." et cetera. Which was the foretelling of the FIRST American Revolution. Here's to the Second!! God. Guns. Guts. Groceries. Glory. Enough of the first four will give us the final one. There's a big difference between insurrection and rebellion. Semper Paratus et Fidelis.

(If this comment is banned, there is real trouble at the top of TFL ))
Old October 29, 2008, 11:07 AM   #110
rogertc1

If the next president gets firearms ban thru House and Senate we will all be good little sheaple and turn them in...I myself do not feel like going to prison and losing everything I have to Lawyers..
Old October 29, 2008, 11:10 AM   #111
drail

Ask any criminal what they think of "banning" guns. Watch them laugh.
Old October 29, 2008, 11:45 AM   #112
JWT

I question whether the anti gun crowd would really try to ban guns. Easier for them to go after severe restrictions on specific types of gun and also try to outlaw lead ammo, require micro imprinting, etc.
Old October 29, 2008, 11:59 AM   #113
Bud Helms

21CFA:
Quote:
(If this comment is banned, there is real trouble at the top of TFL ))
21CFA, if you have a problem with the way TFL is managed, you have access to Private Messages in the User CP at the top of the page. Staff will be pleased to discuss it with you in a civil manner.
Old October 29, 2008, 12:02 PM   #114
buzz_knox

Quote:
I question whether the anti gun crowd would really try to ban guns. Easier for them to go after severe restrictions on specific types of gun and also try to outlaw lead ammo, require micro imprinting, etc.
You are contradicting yourself a bit. The efforts you describe are designed to reduce and ultimately eliminate gun ownership.

Yes, they really want to ban guns, as they've said over and over. They are just doing so bit by bit.
Old October 29, 2008, 03:33 PM   #115
mpage

Quote:
I myself do not feel like going to prison and losing everything I have to Lawyers..
Exactly.
Old October 29, 2008, 04:30 PM   #116
cchardwick

If the wrong people get elected I can tell you for sure we'll be headed down a path that allows society to become more and more corrupt and less protected: legalize gambling, prostitution, drugs, etc. but ban every gun except a muzzleloader that shoots a copper bullet (this will be the bone they throw the dogs (us) to cover the second amendment).

:barf:
Old October 29, 2008, 04:43 PM   #117
Dos

Remember Chuck Heston..."FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS" !!

Now Live By It.
Old October 29, 2008, 05:50 PM   #118
pnac

Somebody once said America "is begging for shorter chains and smaller cages".

The Founding Fathers created this country for their posterity, now we've come to this:

Quote:
I myself do not feel like going to prison and losing everything I have to Lawyers..
Exactly.

pnac
Old October 29, 2008, 07:38 PM   #119
rogertc1

Only thing we can do now is Vote. I already did.

FL Voters Cling To Guns On Fear Of An XXXXX Presidency

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg8B7...eature=related
Old October 29, 2008, 10:06 PM   #120
wayneinFL

I'd like to remind everyone that the danger in a gun ban is not that all guns will be banned, but that a few guns will be banned.

If all guns are banned, the people will rise up and resist. Just a few and the people will tolerate, accept, or even embrace it. Then a few more, and more and more.

It's stealthy, like age. You never see yourself getting old. You just get old and realize it happened. Gun prohibition in the U.S. IS happening, WILL continue, and in much the same way.
Old October 30, 2008, 12:06 AM   #121
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogertc1
If the next president gets firearms ban thru House and Senate we will all be good little sheaple and turn them in...I myself do not feel like going to prison and losing everything I have to Lawyers..
Your wool may keep you warm, but not safe. Your decision to make, however.

I'll vote too... but here is the PRK, it is unlikely to be noticed amongst all the dancing liberals drinking the red kool-aid.
Old October 30, 2008, 02:58 AM   #122
exprt9

"Officer, I work in a Foundry! I took the liberty of getting rid of all my guns, so I threw them all in the furnace last night!" :P
Old October 30, 2008, 09:21 AM   #123
lee n. field

Quote:
Hi, I am asking a straightforward question. Lets pretend that our next president were to place a ban on handguns, or all guns.

What exactly happens? What does it mean?

Does the government just take guns we already own from us? Do we get money based upon the retail value for them? Will there be a date that we must turn them in, before looking at criminal charges?

Or does it mean we simply can't buy anymore? Do we get to keep what we have?
Whatever they think they can get away with.

Why do you think there are rules here?

They would love to do a "turn them all in Mr. and Mrs. America" (to quote the gun banning gun owner with poor trigger discipline Diane Feinstein), with house to house sweeps and metal detectors on every neighborhood corner. They can't. They'll do what they think they can get away with.

What that would mean is that there will be a lot of guns that sit unused in closets.

My brother, who lived in Japan for 15 years, tells me that it was not unusual for wartime era rifles to turn up there when a house would be damaged by an earthquake, and the wreckage gone through. Somebody stashed it, back when, and it didn't do anybody any good since.

That's what would happen here.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; October 30, 2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:52 AM   #124
mpage

Quote:
If all guns are banned, the people will rise up and resist.
I disagree. I can understand resisting it to a degree, but how would they "rise up"?
Old October 30, 2008, 02:23 PM   #125
Glenn E. Meyer

If all guns are banned, it would be because there would have been major legislative, excutive and court concurrence in such.

That is not going to happen with strong support from the majority of the voting populace.

Today on NPR, in a discussion of issues which seemed to lose importance this time around, gun control was mentioned. Also, on politico.com, they discussed why it wasn't a big deal this time around.

Two reasons:

Economic crash is more important.
The Democrats learned from 1994 and 2000 to leave it alone.

Thus, if such a ban surface and was implemented it would be with strong support from most folks.

A subset of folks would 'rise' up! Then they would be hammered down. Tim McVeigh sure garnered a lot of support for his actions, now didn't he?

If you decided to become a rebel given overwhelming support for total gun bans that would be necessary for such to occur, you are toast for population support. You would have NO sea of the populace to hide in.