The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 30, 1999, 01:46 AM   #1
Surprising Smith

I have recently purchased one of these lever action shotguns. I plan to shoot smokeless powder and wonder if anyone has any ideas where I can get loading components/info for this gun.
Old March 30, 1999, 12:42 PM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Have you tried the powder companies websites?
www.hodgdon.com
www.accuratearms
www.lapua.com/vihtavouri/
www.winchester.com then click reloading pages
www.imrpowder.com
These are the ones I can think of offhand. Go to Shooters and you should be able to find more.
If I recall correctly, all 1901s were built with steel barrels for smokeless powder, unlike most of the 1887s.
Gunslinger, if you're reading this could you confirm this or correct me?
Old April 4, 1999, 05:08 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

FAL308 is right; the Model 1901 was made with a steel barrel, and made for smokeless powder, but do NOT use modern ammo.

The only 10 ga. made today is the 3 1/2 inch magnum, which, should you be able to chamber and fire it, would probably disassemble the old thing in an unorthodox manner!

Maybe someone can address the availability of cases; I don't know off hand of a source. I think that gun has 2 7/8" chambers so shells (empty or loaded) may not be available.

There is a pretty good collector market, going as high as $2000 for a really nice one.