The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 5, 2019, 10:30 PM   #1
baddarryl

Sillouette Small Bore Rifle

Hey all. So I dropped in to a local match just to check it out with the intention of shooting it next month as I had never shot one before. They offered me a spot on the line so I informally just felt things out, shot the stages and tried to stay out of their way. Needless today I had a blast and want to do it again. I used my Marlin 981T bolt action.22 which did fine as it is a quite accurate little rifle. Gotta say I am now looking at CZ’s and Anschutz’s though! Off hand I was not quite 100% at 75 meters and about 25% at 100. Morning caffeine got me there! I have looked into other matches and they all seem to be a good ride from here, but I am willing. If any of you guys are into this what insights can you give me? I intend to treat it like IDPA where I am really just there for fun and self improvement. I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t get my competitive juices flowing when there, but I am not one to get gung ho about it either. Anyone else in SENC into this? Thanks
Old August 7, 2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Rembrandt

I use to shoot smallbore silhouette and enjoyed it very much. Found that using 20+ power scope with a dot reticle worked best. Gently move the sight side to side and squeeze off the shot as you pass the center. Trying to hold dead on was a harder way to make a hit. Ammo selection is most important. Buy the good stuff and don't look back. Another option is a rim thickness gauge to grade out fliers.
Old August 17, 2019, 01:07 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...They offered me a spot..." That's how "they" get you hooked. "They" will usually let you shoot their rifles too. That happens at most competitive shooting matches. Shooters are just like that. Most will go out of their way to help a new shooter in any discipline.
"...what insights..." If a sling is allowed, use one. Especially for off hand. It might help to go to an Appleseed shoot too. Start here for that. https://appleseedinfo.org/
Oh and get some upper body toning exercise. Plus do not skip breakfast(that isn't just coffee and doughnuts.) on the day of the match.