The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 28, 2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Auditor

barrel threading

Would like to install a muzzle break on a 30-06 Ruger Hawkeye. Can this be done, and does anyone have a recommendation on who does threading.
Old March 28, 2019, 05:58 PM   #2
std7mag

Used to be darn near any mom & pop gunsmith shop would do it for you.
Not so much anymore.
Shops that do work like that are required to register with ITAR now. Over $2K.

Penalties for getting caught are over $1M.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 28, 2019, 06:20 PM   #3
Pahoo

Interesting

Quote:
Shops that do work like that are required to register with ITAR now. Over $2K.
WOW !!!
Can you reference your source. Last month an area smith was listing that he would thread a barrel, for $99.95. …..

Take care !!!
Old March 29, 2019, 06:46 AM   #4
taylorce1

It doesn't cost $2,000 to thread a barrel, the ITAR tax is over $2,000 per year. It caused several small shops to close down or change the way they did business. $100 is pretty average for the shops still doing the work.
Old March 29, 2019, 08:43 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Are we still following ITAR?

Threading isn't hard and they'll teach you to do your own at TSJC.
Old March 29, 2019, 11:30 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...they'll teach you to do your own at..." A high school level machining class. Or Community College ConEd.
Why do you think you need a brake on a .30-06? Just curious, but it'll significantly increase the muzzle blast and noise for you and every one near you with little advantage.
Old March 29, 2019, 12:31 PM   #7
tango1niner

I'm thinking ITAR is solely for the manufacture and EXPORT of firearms, parts, etc...

So it says on numerous ITAR related web sites. It is possible I misunderstood what I read.

My kids tell me I'm not an understanding person...
Old March 29, 2019, 03:26 PM   #8
std7mag

T.O.,
I had a brake installed on a Savage 110 in 06' years ago. Was best thing i ever did for that rifle!
Recoil was greatly reduced, and the ma.er the gun recoiled was much better over stock! Just kicked lightly straigjt back. You could see your hits, especially at distance.

Did i care if it was loud to you in the next shooting lane. Nope, not a bit. That's what hearing protection is for.
Besides, it was an 06', not a 50 BMG.

Tango,
ITAR was originally meant for that, but then the acting director issued a letter of clarification. That is what everyone is up in arms about. Essentially, if you machine, or modify, (thread, essentially anything with a lathe, mill, or driil) for thr purpose of accurizing you are considered a "manufacturer". Even if it a one time occurance.

4v50,

Untill overturned, ITAR still stands.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 30, 2019, 11:04 AM   #9
HiBC

We went over this pretty thoroughly when it was current news. Its a vague over reach of the matters ITAR was supposed to address,such as exporting guns,parts,sniper scopes,etc.

The Obama admin stretched it to include pretty much anyone who was threading and chambering a barrel,drilling and tapping for sights,etc.Choke tubes...
Improving or accurizing by any process of machining,etc. Its all part of the "Global Arms Trade"

Good,bad,right,wrong,whether or not you'll get caught....non-compliance hangs over your head.

I may be wrong,but as I understand it,I've never had a gunsmith business or FFL and I don't take in work. As a hobbyist,I do my own work.
I'm not part of any "Arms Trade" . I think I'm OK to do my own work.

But,doggone,they write vague law. It no doubt depends on the "interpretation de jour"