The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 27, 2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Firemedic

1911 Advice or Another 45?

I am looking for a little help on the 1911. I have always been a fan of and always wanted a 1911 as far back as I can remember my dad having an older model colt. About 4 years ago I got into handguns and I looked at purchasing a 1911. However, I ended up leaving the shop with a polymer gun. 3 polymer guns later I still don't have a 1911.

Now, I'm back on wanting to buy a 1911, however, I have small hands and I just can't get the feel for the gun. I have to move the gun so much in my hand to be able to use the mag release. Will slim grips take care of this issue? I see on some of the more expensive 1911 the grip has a beveled cut to get to the mag release. Will this help my issue? I currently carry 9mm, my primary carry being a M&Pc. Now i'm want to get that 1911 I have always wanted, but going to the shops and playing with them, they just don't feel right. This is a gun that is going to get carry time. I'm not going to buy something if I can't make it feel right. Right now I'm also considering the M&P line of 45 since they have the adjustability to my "baby" hands.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Mello2u

Quote:
Firemedic

Now, I'm back on wanting to buy a 1911, however, I have small hands and I just can't get the feel for the gun. I have to move the gun so much in my hand to be able to use the mag release. Will slim grips take care of this issue? I see on some of the more expensive 1911 the grip has a beveled cut to get to the mag release. Will this help my issue?
The 1911 is not for everyone. You have the same problem that is perhaps the most often cited complaint. People with small hands have difficulty manipulating the mag button, levers and trigger of the 1911.

Only you can answer whether some modified 1911 can be functional for you. You need some hands-on time to tell.

I have not found any pistol that compares to the trigger action of a nicely tuned 1911 trigger. That feature alone might keep you looking to find one that fits your hand so that you can shoot a 1911 with a great trigger.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old May 27, 2009, 05:48 PM   #3
HenryTheNoodle

Slim grips will help, but without holding one you won't know for sure. I just got my first 1911 and am really happy with it, though the operator is much crapier than the weapon
Old May 27, 2009, 06:07 PM   #4
hdawson228

I have average hands. Maybe a little on the smallish size. I have no trouble with my Springfield 1911. Great gun, repeat, great gun.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

If you have small hands, I'm just not sure that slim line grips or a beveled mag release channel will help. I would suggest finding a gun range that rents gun and spend some time shooting one. See how a 1911 works for you when you are actually shooting it. That may help you make a decision on how they really fit your hand.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:18 PM   #6
drail

Try hitting the mag release with your off hand. Many competition shooters use this method.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:32 PM   #7
45_Shooter

I've never known the 1911 to be particularly unaccomodating to those with small hands, but try an extended length mag release and slim grips for the best possible combination if it's a problem. I have medium-large hands and I still like an extended length (not the huge button type) on certain 1911's.

Going to a short trigger (like GI guns) and the flat mainspring housing typically make a 1911 well suited to small hands.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Firemedic

Try hitting the mag release with your off hand. Many competition shooters use this method.

I am a medic on a tactical team. And this method is exactly what I do when shooting the sig 226.

I will have to go rent one locally and see what I can do with it.

What kind of cost are we looking at to extend the mag release? Since I'm not a 1911 guy, I'm sure I would have to pay someone to put it in.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:42 PM   #9
45_Shooter

Quote:
What kind of cost are we looking at to extend the mag release? Since I'm not a 1911 guy, I'm sure I would have to pay someone to put it in.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=244884

Looks like about $30. It might just drop right in, but I doubt any gunsmith would charge you much even if it didn't.

You can also try the big button that competition shooters use:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=400623
Old May 27, 2009, 07:42 PM   #10
CortJestir

Quote:
I am a medic on a tactical team. And this method is exactly what I do when shooting the sig 226.
I also have smallish hands and find the 1911 very easy to operate. If you can shoot/handle a P226 reasonably well (I understand it may be your duty weapon), you should have no problem with a stock 1911 (i.e., without slim grips or extended mag releases, etc.).