The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 6, 2013, 02:32 PM   #26
saleen322

You will learn more about your shooting ability with a good .22 LR than anything else. A lot of people shoot at the range, some call it practice, but very few analyze what they do to actually improve. A quality .22 LR can deliver accuracy that is very difficult for any centerfire round to do. With that .22 you can actually improve your shooting ability as it is precise enough to show every flaw and every improvement. Here is a target, shot with iron sights @ 100 yards with a .22 LR. You will pay serious money for a centerfire capable of that accuracy. Recoil is a non-issue for a shooter with good fundamentals. People who learn properly how to shoot can not pick up a pistol for 6 months or more and then go to the range and be at around 95% right out of the box.

Old August 6, 2013, 05:34 PM   #27
SIGSHR

I recommend a centerfire handgun with a conversion unit. CZ with their Kadet
unit, the Ciener units when you can find them. Yes, it is the best.
Old August 6, 2013, 05:53 PM   #28
kahrguy

Looks like there are some of us that only shoot to stay sharp with what they carry and then there the ones that enjoy shooting anything. Any type trigger and size firearm . It just don't matter. I had not thought about it till reading some other post. I have SA pistols .22lr and 45, da/a pistols and revovlers in .22lr, 380, 357mag and 44mag. DA and short reset striker fired in 9mm and 40sw and a bolt action handgun. Then there the rifles and shotguns!!

Guess I fit in the group that enjoys shooting for all kind of reasons from just fun, train for carry, and hunting with them . Trigger type never mattered or the firearm size. I know when I can't get to a range I can pull my very first 51 years old 22lr rem bolt rifle out with some cci quiet ammo and have fun in the back yard and not mess with the neighbors.
Old August 9, 2013, 12:55 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Starting with a .22 is always best. The .22 does the best job of introducing people to shooting. Low cost, noise, and recoil are important factors when people are just starting out.

Now, someone who already knows how to shoot doesn't get quite as much benefit from the .22 as a complete beginner, but they do get a benefit.

.22s come in three broad types. The smallest, pocket pistols, .22versions of duty class guns, and "sport pistols".

Shooting a .22 version of your carry gun is fine practice. But shooting anything is practice, and making it fun means enjoyment. Enjoyment means eagerness, and eagerness means you will shoot more often.

Think about this, and while not a perfect analogy, there are some parallels..

Every time you get behind the wheel you increase your driving skills. Hundreds of thousands of highway miles does not make you ready for formula 1 racing, but you are a lot closer to being ready than someone who is just starting drivers ed. For you gamers out there, killing an orc as a first level player may get you 100pts. When you're a 15th level elf ninja assassin that exact same orc is only worth 1pt. But you still get 1pt.
Old August 9, 2013, 02:30 PM   #30
breakingcontact

Re: Is .22 Cal the Best for Handgun Training?

It makes sense to start off shooting with a pellet gun or 22. Any major LEAs or mil units training with 22s?
Old August 9, 2013, 11:25 PM   #31
Sevens

If the subject shooter does not enjoy shooting whatsoever, but *will* do it because it's the proper training that goes along with defensive carry -- then yeah, buying a .22 pistol might be wasted money. (*or* it might change their mind...)

Beyond that, anyone who tries to argue that .22 pistol shooting will -NOT- improve anyone's shooting... might be clinically diagnosed an absolute fool.

Sights on target?
Squeezing trigger?
Landing shots?!

This will IMPROVE your skill at shooting ---ANY--- handgun.
Old August 10, 2013, 05:43 AM   #32
kahrguy

If a person does not enjoy shooting "what so ever" they will never be a good shot.
Old August 10, 2013, 01:29 PM   #33
Sevens

They don't need to be a "good shot", if the only reason they are shooting in the first place is because they've agreed -- at someone else's urging -- to be trained to safely employ a handgun for defense.

Sure, more training is better. A -LOT- more. But for many, just getting them to agree to put a handgun in their hands is a tremendous battle.
Old August 13, 2013, 03:46 PM   #34
johnwilliamson062

To shoot well one needs to shoot 200 rounds a week IMO. TO shoot passably enough to CCW one needs to shoot a minimum of 50 rounds a week. That is IMO of course. No science behind it.
That adds up. Throw a few rounds of trap and a few high power matches on top of it and things get pricey fast. Not to mention the related practice for those. 9mm is about $25 a bi-weekly paycheck at that 50 a week point. 22lr is only $4. Quadruple that to low competitive shooter practice levels and the prices really start to separate.

So, I shoot mostly 22lr. It takes me maybe 15000 rounds to get decently familiar with a handgun. That does match up with some studies about muscle memory. After that I don't find I have to practice all that often to get get competent as long as I am keeping the fundamentals sharp with a 22lr. Of course, the closer it is to the centerfire the better. Many popular guns have very close clones.