The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1
rajbcpa

How many powders do [did] you have before and after the shortage began?

I have been buying every powder I can get my hands on since the ammo background check system is going to become effective in NY soon. This will eliminate Internet purchases.

Anyway, before the shortage hit a few months ago, I had only 4 powders. Since then, I have not had the opportunity to buy the powder I want but I buy anything that I can get.

So far, this means I now have 9 different powders - UHG!
Old March 24, 2013, 02:22 PM   #2
William T. Watts

That may be over the top a bit, with that said as long as the containers haven't been opened you may be able to trade for something that you need. If that isn't an option sell your excess and put away the money. I normally do not purchase locally, we have relatives in Ohio, when we "drive" up I will check Fin Feather and Fur in Ashland, Ohio, Sportsman's Den in Shelby, Ohio on the way home. I refuse to let the locals skin me when I need something. I never never let myself run out of anything I use, I always plan ahead for the components I use. William
Old March 24, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I don't know if it will help. But a good friend in another State may be what is needed. Have a question: Since internet ordered. Will violate the up coming law. Does that apply to one private citizen shipping to another as well?
Old March 24, 2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I am happy to not live in a state with such crazy laws. We do have some strange ones here on the books, but they don't normally effect me. I have a fair amount of the powders I normally use on hand and a few I've set aside for future use. so long as the shortage doesn't last more than a year or two I should be good. Planning ahead for shortages tends to ease the pain when it comes.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
rajbcpa

...the new law is confusing and many things are still up in the air. the background check applies to everyone including sales, gifts, of merchandise shipped into the state from relatives.

Appartently, I can buy out of state and drive it back without issue....

this is a stupid law that could be comming to your area soon.....
Old March 24, 2013, 02:43 PM   #6
chiefr

I try to keep powders for everything I reload. Right now, the only powders I can find are Green Dot, Clays, and shotgun specific.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Marco Califo

Shortage is a self-feeding psycological issue

I have the exact same powders then and now. You people made up the "shortage" with panic buying, perpetuating the alleged shortage. Calm down and change your panties. I have had, and will continue to have, more than a 12 month supply. When things normalize I will buy more on sale. Watch out for the falling bits of sky!
Old March 24, 2013, 03:22 PM   #8
BIGR

I will not disclose how much I have, but I assure you that I will never have to worry about loading enough hunting ammo the rest of my life. I am not a panic buyer, but I still have a few pounds lying around from the Clinton era.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:41 PM   #9
rajbcpa

For those of us who live in New York THE SKY HAS ALREADY FALLEN.

Background checks are the law of our land and this will soon eliminate Internet sales in NY. I live in an area where there are no local guns stores. My nearest local shop is 25 miles away and I incur a $6 toll charge to cross a bridge to get there.

My hoarding since mid 2012 has been 100% validated.

Yeh, Yeh, I too have powder since the early 1970s.... So what?
Old March 24, 2013, 03:55 PM   #10
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I have been buying every powder I can get my hands on since the ammo background check system is going to become effective in NY soon. This will eliminate Internet purchases.
Has is actually been confirmed that the SAFE Act will ban internet sales of reloading components in NY?
Old March 24, 2013, 05:33 PM   #11
rajbcpa

The issue of whether you can buy components in NY on the Internet is not resolved.

The law says "ammo" purchases require background checks (in person) and this precludes Internet purchases.

The ATF classifies powder, primers, brass, and bullets as "
ammo."

When the background check system is established we will see if USPS, UPS, FedEx will ship these items to non-FFL addresses.

My guess is no.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Boomer58cal

If you want to disclose what you have that's your choice. In my opinion you might as well sent a list to the white house if you do. If you're not worried about the future of our rights your either ignorant, blind or just don't know where this is going. The number one cause of death in the 20th century was civilians being first disarmed and then murdered by their own governments. That's 290,000,000 people murdered. That number does not include those killed in war.