The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Tmblweed

Dam@# NICS!

This is probably an old issue, but after 3 delays with NICS I finally filed my appeal with them today. How many of you guys have been delayed by these people? Any appeals? Did your appeal help stop the delays? I could go pick up either a Moss 930 SPX or Bennelli M2 right this minute if not for the delay.

You can read up on it here>>> http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm

Last edited by Tmblweed; December 17, 2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old December 16, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
youngoilguy

what is nics?

thought background checks went through the fbi.

i have heard of ncic but not nics
Old December 16, 2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Mike U.

It's the .gov. What did you expect?
They don't think in terms of things like common sense or whether or not something discomforts or delays you. It's a self serving monster bureaucracy that cares not one whit about your wait time.:barf:

Your best bet would be to keep filing appeals and phoning them till some paper pusher gets tired of seeing your name and does something about it.

You could also, I suppose, go rail at your elected officials in D.C., but it's readily apparent they don't care what you or I think either.

Oh, seriously, you might also want to look into the "Why's and wherefores" of your delay. Sometimes it's just your bad luck of the draw. IIRC, NICS takes folks at random and does a more in-depth background search on them, thus the delay. This may be what happened in your case.
Or, It may be because your on some watch list.
Your not a terrorist, felon, militiaman, golf cheater or sexual predator are you?
Enhh, didn't think so. Must be a case of bad luck of the draw.

Last edited by Mike U.; December 16, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old December 16, 2009, 06:02 PM   #4
mwar410

It stands for N ational I nstant C riminal backround check S ystem. 3 times, I would be looking into my history.
Old December 16, 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
buymore

are you using your SSN? I've heard alot of delay complaints from people not willing to give their SSN, but other than that......it's usually a criminal charge that results in these. Most people will not admit it, but it usually is an "OLD" thing from thirty years ago that they forgot about. With the NEW Homeland Security stuff their are more triggers that set the system to delay your name also. I would think that with three of these, you would have it straightened out by now if it wasn't right?
Old December 16, 2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Tmblweed

I LIVED my history, don't you think I know it? I called them. If your name is close to someone with a record, or your SS# is close they will delay you. After EACH check they are required to destroy all reference to that check. So if you buy a gun the very next day it all starts again as if you HAD NEVER been checked before. 1st two times I got the OK within hours, this time 3 days so far. I was hoping that someone had appealed with them and maybe knew if the delays stopped in their case. I had to get fingerprinted for this process and send a form with all info to them. They said they would send me a PIN# to use after that when filling out the forms at the dealer so they could ID me faster and stop the delays...we will see I guess. I work for NC Corrections and have been Criminal Justice certified and nothing like this ever came up.

Last edited by Tmblweed; December 16, 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old December 16, 2009, 06:17 PM   #7
fastforty

I always put my SS# on the form, makes it a lot easier for everyone. I know that there are 3 or 4 other people in my vicinity with the same name. One of them gave me a ride one day when I ran out of gas. I told him my name, he snickered & said that was his name too (man, this was before I had my CCW & it freaked me right out- until he pulled out he driver's license and showed it to me). The Marshall showed up at my door looking for one of them once & two plain clothes detectives were here looking for one of the others. Thankfully, I've never had a problem with a background check
Old December 16, 2009, 06:23 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

Most of the time with NICS, it goes like this.

1. You have a common name and they find two or more of "you" around the country, and they have to delay to check it out.

2. You have a somewhat uncommon name, and the one other person out there with a name close to yours has something on his record that disqualifies him.

A delay is sometimes inevitable, hopefully your appeal goes through quickly.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Jeremiah/Az

I don't know if it's nation wide, but here in Az., if you have a CCW permit, you don't have to go thru the check. Might be worth your time to get one. Even if you don't want to carry, it sure makes buying guns easier.
Old December 17, 2009, 01:57 AM   #10
Grey

There are many reasons why you could be delayed. Now I have a FFL number and manage a business that sells firearms.
First: You have to ask yourself (rhetorically) what is your background like? Do you have any drug, violent, or alcohol related crimes that you are fighting or have been convicted of in the past?
Second: Do you have a common name with a common place of birth? As mentioned above if you do a SSN will help speed up the process.
Third: was the 4473 (NICS Form) filled out properly with no misspellings and everything spelled out properly? If you abbreviated or had bad hand writing so the individual miscomprehended what you intentionally meant could be an issue.
Finally: If everything you did was correct and you have a clean past, I recommend if possible in your state seeking a concealed weapons permit. This permit allows you carry a loaded concealed firearm and in some states eliminates the NICS background check and allows for the firearm to be transferred immediately.
I hope this helps.
Old December 17, 2009, 01:37 PM   #11
arizona98tj

Quote:
Your best bet would be to keep filing appeals and phoning them till some paper pusher gets tired of seeing your name and does something about it.
With any luck, the "doing something about it" doesn't involve putting you on the no fly list.

Last edited by arizona98tj; December 17, 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spell check
Old December 17, 2009, 03:49 PM   #12
Mike U.

Yeah, hopefully he's not already on that list.
From what I've read, it doesn't take much at all to find oneself on it.
I remember a story from months ago where there was a 2-3 YO kid whose name was on the 'no fly' list. They wouldn't let the kid board the plane.
Old December 17, 2009, 03:59 PM   #13
Tmblweed

The biggest problem is that they destroy the results of each check within 24 hrs by law. So when you are cleared they won't see that the next time and start over. I was informed in a phone call today that my appeal would go a long way toward solving that by allowing them to keep on record that I have already been cleared a number of times. Only if something NEW came up would a delay happen. We will see...
Old December 17, 2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Chipperman

I never put my SSN on the form. I've never been delayed or declined. Then again, I don't have a common name.
Old December 19, 2009, 02:13 PM   #15
mr kablammo

+ 1 on the recommendation to get the CHL.
Old December 19, 2009, 08:20 PM   #16
impalacustom

Here in Nebraska we bypass the NICS completely even if you don't have a CCW permit. We get a permit from the local PD, pay $5 and it is good for 3 years, and then all we do is fill out the 4473 and away we go because our PD does the background checks before you get your permit.
Old December 19, 2009, 09:39 PM   #17
Tmblweed

Thats next up for me, cheaper and quicker than CCP. May get 3 - 4 to hold me over. Ours are good as long as the Sheriff is in office here in NC.

UPDATE: I got the approval today, Sun Dec 20 2009, one full week after the check was initiated. Gonna hafta look at keeping a few permits on hand or getting my concealed carry back.
(Yeah, I let it lapse )

Last edited by Tmblweed; December 20, 2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Update
Old December 19, 2009, 09:44 PM   #18
spacecoast

My FFL does the check on the phone after I fill out the form and walk out the door with the gun(s) three minutes later. There's never been a delay and I don't give my SSN.