The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 8, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1
goldfacade

Browning BAR accuracy

I have a BAR Safari in 243 win that I use on boar and teach my kids to shoot on. On factory ammo (Win super x and remmy cor-lokt) it holds about 3" @100yds. I have heard that this can be a slightly over MOA rifle. My question is does anyone have experience with a BAR? Have you accurized it, or attempted to? I'm kind of a tinker at heart and cant seem to leave well enough alone, but I dont want to ruin my kids rifle. Any tips?

Also, I dont load for 243 as of yet, I'm only doing pistol.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Demaiter

If I was you I'd try some different (a larger variety) factory ammo if possible around the 100 grain mark. A BAR should be able to do ~2 MOA I think with out modifications, of which I don't know as you can't really do anything to it because of the semiautomatic action and gas tubes/whatnot under the fore end.

Make sure your action screws are tight and if possible I'd try shooting the rifle with a different scope. I think it should do better than 3 MOA out of the box.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:59 PM   #3
BADSBSNF81

My 338 is just shy of MOA with factory ammo. Handloading gets it down to MOA or a little less. It prefers 225g projectiles.
Old September 8, 2009, 09:56 PM   #4
jgcoastie

My BAR MkII Safari (with BOSS) in .30/06 repeatedly achieves .75" - 1" groups at 100yds. The best shooting factory load I've found is Winchester Ballistic Silvertips, 165gr.

Do you have a BOSS? If so, you can try adjusting it to improve your groups. I agree that you'll need to try several different loads though. Whichever one shoots best, buy a few boxes and adjust your BOSS to really dial it in.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 8, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
goldfacade

its an older model I bought used so no BOSS. I thought 3" was a rather large group from a quality gun, but I'm a little surprised to hear under MOA. Was that with the BOSS? Is that an option Browning will install on an older rifle?
Old September 12, 2009, 03:17 AM   #6
106RR

My Belgian made 270 WCF will do one and a half inches for three shots with Federal 150gr Noslers. I think all of the semi autos are touchy about their ammo. Mine will not shoot that well with everything. The Remington 150gr Roundnose Corelokt more often goes into three inches. All groups at 100 yds from a sandbag rest.
Old September 12, 2009, 05:53 AM   #7
gun44

My brother has a BAR in 30:06

Working with handloads we finally got it down to MOA @ 100. We haven't found a factory load that will do less than 2MOA @ 100.
Old September 12, 2009, 07:37 AM   #8
JTD0314

My Shortrac 308 with Hornady 165 BTSP will shoot .75 with ease. Cor Lokts are around 1.5. Great Gun !
Old September 12, 2009, 11:46 AM   #9
gngtools

I've got a BAR in .300 WinMag and havent done anything to it. It shoots MOA at 100 yards without any problems.
Old September 12, 2009, 11:23 PM   #10
jgcoastie

Quote:
Was that with the BOSS? Is that an option Browning will install on an older rifle?
I'm sure they could, call them. If they don't just about any competent gunsmith could set you up.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 13, 2009, 01:10 PM   #11
SeekHer

I had older models, like yours, but in 7mm Rem Mag that would produce under 1.5" groups consistently and every once in the while, when the shooting gods were smiling, 1" groups...My .243 did about the same...

MOA no but certainly MOMoose or deer

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old September 13, 2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Buzzcook

+1 on trying different ammo.