The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 29, 2004, 07:17 AM   #26
SNoB

Im not relying on a flashlight to stop someone, but that brite of a light, while you are in the dark, will blind you for an instant. If he shoots, or even has a gun, I shoot, then he has multiple .40 cal hydra shoks to his center mass he has to deal with before worrying about aiming for the brite light pointed at him.
Old December 29, 2004, 02:36 PM   #27
echaraska

>>Here's how I look at it: In this litigous society in which criminals often sue the innocent defender for injuries<<

Use live rounds, dead people can't sue anyone.
Old December 29, 2004, 02:56 PM   #28
El Chimango Pete

Not a good idea. All the resons stated and in most cases you'd just have a very mad bad guy. By the way, when using live rounds and don't (not a good idea either) intend to hurt or wound, fire in a safe direction (not in the air) - near enough to the the supposed bad guy and be ready for a quick follow up if BG turns out really bad. This same discussion was held hear years back over the use of handgun shot-shells: Same answer.
El Chimango Pete (Peter Knight) - in Cordoba, Argentina

http://www.byknight.com/wordpress
Old December 29, 2004, 03:13 PM   #29
USMCbulletsponge

Flame On!!!!

you ARe nuts. blanks!
Old December 29, 2004, 06:50 PM   #30
38splfan

I agree with the above.

Having just come from his location also, I have to side with my pals

In all honesty, I think that considering this is at best problematic, and it would simplify your life lots if you just used live ammo. What you do in the end is up to you, but remember that the BG may not have blanks and if he is shooting in your direction he may be shooting toward your family also. It would be best to simply shoot, tase, spray or otherwise disable/disorient him. Blanks will piss him off, and then he will feel the need to shoot back. Rather than a last resort or intimidation tool, his gun has become a defense weapon in his mind also.

There is just lots to consider doing something like this. take time to weigh the matter carefully before making a decision.
Old January 1, 2005, 06:34 PM   #31
Charlie Golf

The only problem I see is that you would need the first 3 rounds to be blanks. Because that's the minimum number you should have pressed the trigger in rapid succession.

In other words, forgo the blanks.
Old January 2, 2005, 10:05 AM   #32
caegal

Quite simply, if the guy in your house is armed, he will return fire when fired upon, unless he is incapacitated. A blank will not incapacitate, a big hole in his brain or heart will.

It is pretty cool that you think in terms of compassion to the guy in your house, but matters of self-defence are more often times in opposition to compassionate acts.
Old January 2, 2005, 08:42 PM   #33
DT Guy

This could only seem like an option to someone who has never pointed a firearm (loaded with totally real cartridges, of course) at a person who DID NOT CARE that you had done so, or at least did not stop what they were doing.

The vision of a BG running scared and silly at the firing of a blank completely ignores the fact that most BGs EXPECT to eventually get shot at, or already have been. Many of them will NOT be pi$$ing themselves, but instead taking effective action to stop your shooting at them.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 3, 2005, 05:43 PM   #34
mr. ed

DT Guy, I must inform you that I spent at least a year in warfare in the far east and have had much experience in "pointing weapons with live ammo" at BG's. My concern is handling situations in a civilian scenario (this is different from actual warfare, thank you). During war you don't have as many concerns about the legality of certain issues when it comes shooting another human. Respectfully...

Mr. Ed
Old January 3, 2005, 06:20 PM   #35
DT Guy

Mr. Ed,

I realize that civilian self-defense is not warfare. Perhaps you could say that's the point of my post-many of the hardened criminals you may encounter will not react as you might suppose, especially if you've been in other, dissimilar circumstances.

I did not presume to g uess whether you have, or have not, been in a position to defend yourself with a firearm-my only point was that I have been in the exact position I've described, and will no longer be surprised if it happens again.

Meant no ill will.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 3, 2005, 07:22 PM   #36
Dwight55

Mr. Ed, . . .

I really don't want to get too deep in this conversation, because I will most likely turn on the flamers and you do seem to be the type of person who has some compassion and care for your fellow human.

Unfortunately, part of your last post "(this is different from actual warfare, thank you)" needs to be seriously addressed.

No, my friend, there is absolutely no difference between the:

1) Viet Cong who ate food given by the UN charities by day, . . and did his/her level best to kill the US forces by night.

and

2) The Iraq/Afghanistan/other Arab who wants to slit an American throat, . . . to say he/she did it.

and

3) The neighbor kid/local punk/or other bg that will with no regard whatsoever to your past sacrifices for his/her welfare, . . . attempt to take by force any and all they want, . . . and disregard your life, health, and welfare all in the process.

True, they eat different foods, speak different languages, and wear different types of clothing, . . . but they all are kindred spirits to the thugs who built and ran Aushwitz, planned and executed Pearl Harbor, took down the twin towers in NY, and will cut your throat in a second: in a New York heartbeat, if it would get them another high, another 12 pack, some plunder to barter, trade, or sell.

No, . . . you need to come to the realization that this is indeed war, yes the rules are a bit different, . . . but if you keep your back to the wall, . . . make sure you are justified, . . . you should be OK. At the least, remember the old trite saying, . . . it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 3, 2005, 10:51 PM   #37
mr. ed

OK, guys...time to put this thread to rest. I appreciate your well thought out responses to my original question and I do agree with your observations. Best regards to all...
Old January 5, 2005, 11:59 PM   #38
CarlosDJackal

Just get yourself a cap gun then. I really can't think of any viable instance where a blank round will be of any advantage in a lethal encounter. JM2CW.
Old January 10, 2005, 07:33 PM   #39
Mannlicher

The idea of carrying a blank in a gun you have for protection is ludicrous, ill conceived, and, well. just not prudent.
You should be a LOT more concerned with some galoot killing you, than what some jury might do at a nebulous time in the future.
my oh my

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 10, 2005, 09:30 PM   #40
Rojoe67

Sir sell your firearms and buy big hungry dog....

I suggest K-9 since your not willing to defend yourself in the instant you need to. The blank thing is about as effective as a loud scream. Someone will hear it and tell the police about it in the investigation following the felony that will likely take place in your home moments after. I know this comes off very stiff and unpleasant but that is how it could likely turn out. I guess if luck is on your side the blank could cause the suspect to have a heart attack and drop dead in your hall too? No dought his next of kin will sue you for causing his premature death.....

Old January 11, 2005, 03:27 AM   #41
Dusty Miller

I'll be there's some guy out there who'se wondering if he could stay child free by poking a hole in his condums!!
Old January 11, 2005, 10:39 AM   #42
VirgilCaine

Why not keep a fire cracker and a lighter next to your M85. You could then light the fire cracker and throw it at the BG to see if it spooks him.

Your idea sounds just as goofy
Old January 15, 2005, 05:34 PM   #43
Para Bellum

get pepperspray

don't take this as an offense, but I have the impression that you haven't thought enough about guns yet. If you have one, undload it, store it safely and think for a while - or give it away.

Pull a gun only if you are ready and willing to kill, then the 4 rules...

If you want a non-lethal weapon thats great. Get a taser. Theres an impressive video in another forum here.

If you need a gun you will be extremely lucky to have the opportunity to fire one shot. This one rather be a hit and effective. If I only saw you aming at me I'd draw and shoot instantly (what would I have to loose at gunpoint?).

If you don't want to hit, dont draw. It's safer for you and those behind you.
Old April 4, 2005, 05:58 AM   #44
univtxattorney

That's just not true...

Quote:
Use live rounds, dead people can't sue anyone.
Not exactly right... Dead people can sue through their estate. Those are the biggest lawsuits.
Old April 4, 2005, 06:27 AM   #45
Wraith

The only sound I want my 12 gauge making is the saftey going click and then a prompt BOOM!

Why should I cut down my firepower by not having a shell in the pipe?

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old April 4, 2005, 12:58 PM   #46
Lion In Winter

Not a bad idea if you get close enough for the wad and the propellant gas to work!
Old April 5, 2005, 01:37 PM   #47
jim532

Pepper Spray??

They have those pepper spray rounds for 12 Gauge. Anyone have any experience or comments about thode for home defense.
Old April 5, 2005, 03:34 PM   #48
utaherrn

first load up to go in my HD 12 gauge is a beanbag

having read all this thread, I might change my plans.
Had thought to put the BG down with the bean bag on the first round, followed by #4 buckshot the next few rounds if needed.
Maybe it should be all #4 instead.
Old April 5, 2005, 09:27 PM   #49
abelew

Remember that if your going to use peper spray rounds indoors, that spray "migrates." If you shoot a BG at close range with it, then you might get contaminated by it also. Just a thought. I wouldn't use it.
Old April 6, 2005, 07:39 AM   #50
Superhornet

You have blanks loaded, the perp has live ammo. You both have good aim and pop the caps at the same time..Blanks in yours?? You do the math.......