The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 3, 2012, 07:11 AM   #1
vito

Need verus want

I can't really say I "need" any more guns, which almost makes me feel guilty when I start thinking about buying another one. But as a I get older, I feel more entitled to treat myself to what I want, even if I don't need it. And to make sure I can rationalize that what I am doing is practical, I have never bought a second copy of the same gun. I used to say to myself that I should have enough handguns to leave one each to each of my children (five), then it was to have one each for my siblings as well, and now I think I should make sure I can also leave at least one to each of my nine (so far) grandchildren. This way the "want" can become a "need", just as I think I will soon "need" a bigger safe.
Old October 3, 2012, 07:24 AM   #2
gaseousclay

I think if you're in a place where you're financially sound then the need/want debate is immaterial. Unfortunately, we live in an instant gratification society and there's a tendency to spend money we don't have. I mentioned in another thread that i'm a fiscal conservative - I don't spend money I don't have and I don't squander the money that I do have. Credit cards are just bad business, period. With that said, I want a lot of guns, but I don't need them. Over time I know i'll eventually acquire the firearms I want but only when I've saved my money for those purchases
Old October 3, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Vireye

When I started, in my mind I "Needed" the following:

A good, 9mm Semiauto
A revolver (I wanted either a S&W or Ruger for reliability)
A semi-auto Rifle
a .45 Semiauto
and a 12ga pump.

At this point, that's exactly what I own.
A Sig P228R
A Ruger Vaquero (Old school, but the thing is rugged as hell)
Stag Arms Model 2
Glock 30
Mossberg 500 (A Marine Corps overrun)

I *want* a ton of other firearms...I desperately want a 1911, an MP5k or clone (pistol), an AK-47 type rifle (can't own one in CT chambered in 7.62 x39 sadly) a Desert Eagle....the list goes on.

I figure I have the weapons I could ever possible *need* in any sort of situation. My daily carries, my home defense, and my SHTF weapons. Someday I hope I have the financial means to get the guns I *want*, and start a collection of sorts. Until then what little extra income I get goes to ammo and range time.

I think if you can afford it without making sacrifices in areas you shouldn't be (i.e. food, gas, bills...) then go for it! Half the fun of owning firearms is the TYPE of firearm, and having the ones YOU want. If we lived in a war-torn country, then it'd be about utility. We don't, so get what you want, and enjoy them.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
jimbob86

Need?

A .22, a shotgun, a handgun and a deer rifle. For each shooter in the house.

Ain't there yet.

There's a whole passel of Us.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5
RedBowTies88

I have every gun I need, 12ga winchester 1200, Saiga in 5.56, S&W model 37, Cz85c, Mosin Nagant, and several .22's would cover just about any pratical need of mine...from defense to hunting.

However i really WANT an SKS in a tapco collapsable stock with a threaded muzzle and flash hider as well as the baynet and pistol grip..

just as a huge SLAP in the face to NJ (Loophole in the law that allows all the "evil assult features" on a legal gun becuase it has a fixed mag)

The gun wont do anything I can't do already with other guns...but hey I still want it.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:42 AM   #6
the jigger

Need-Want?

When I look at my inventory of firearms I see that I need my commander for concealed carry; I need my 18.25" 20ga for home defense; Ineed my 25/06 for hunting. I have all of the rest because I "WANT" them. I also want several more.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Patriot86

Need is a heck of a word.

In my mind I need the following

3 Handguns for each adult in my house (only my wife and I).
Currently have a total of 4; 2 ta go!

A minimum of 4 magazines for each handgun.

1 rifle in 5.56 for each adult in the house (only have 1 currently)

10 Magazines for each 5.56 rifle.

1 "Hunting" type rifle; currently use my fathers 30-06 Rem 700. Plan to buy something similar soon in either 30-06 or 308.

1 Shotgun , Dont have yet.

I am pretty close to having my gun needs covered. Think I am going to buy a P226 9mm CPO and a P239 9MM early next year. Wife doesn't know it yet but she is getting a surprise of the 556 variety under the christmas tree this year.
Then it comes down more to gear like better coms gear, more food, ammo, maybe a vest for each of us and some NVG's.

That being said if something happened tomorrow I would start selling them off as needed. That is the great part, a 5 year old P226 is worth used about as much as a 1 year old sig if wear is kept under control.

Last edited by Patriot86; October 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:55 AM   #8
mayosligo

I think I have all I need. The want list never ends. At. This point I try to find time to shoot and clean. Beyond that I think of my two girls who are still too little to handle anything, but I have a couple 22 rifles, small revolver, and a single shot 12 gauge that I can move them up to once they have spent some time with the BB gun.
Old October 3, 2012, 02:34 PM   #9
JerryM

It depends upon your priorities in life. If fun, enjoyment, and pleasure are top priorities then spend on whatever your whims are.

It is surprising how easily satisfied you can be when you and your pleasures are not your top priorities.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:29 AM   #10
Skans

All I really need is my Ruger LC9 and My savage 110 30-06.

However, those would be some of the first guns to "go" in pursuit of other guns that I don't need.
Old October 8, 2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Redhawk5.5+P+

I need (kind of) a really small poly 9mm for pocket carry. So I went out and bought a Glock 20 SF then a long slide with all the goodies. I never knew I was going to want a $600 gun and then put $900 into it.

Good thing I held back, my God!

Pictures coming soon.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:50 AM   #12
jughead2

need versas want

if i want and can afford it i buy it. if i cant possibly afford it i just decide i dont want it.
Old October 11, 2012, 02:37 AM   #13
Justice06RR

There's a thin line between "need" and "want" in the firearms world.

My belief is that if you can afford it, go ahead and get it. Doesn't matter if its a want or need. Now if you have a family to feed, or a wife to ask permission from, its a different story obviously.

Also, everyone "needs" a 22lr rifle or pistol.

Everyone needs a good revolver.

Everyone needs a shotgun. etc, etc.

but all depends on a personal level.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:11 AM   #14
hardworker

Compared to the folks who spend thousands on sports cars to drive around on weekends, a few hundred here and there on guns isn't that much.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:52 AM   #15
mayosligo

I agree with Hardworker. I have relatives who own Harleys. I have not come close to spending that much.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Ike666

I need:

Air to breathe
Water to hydrate
Food to eat

in that order.

Everything else is a want. Really high up on that list of wants are clothes and shelter - but I don't need them

To be sure, when the mongrel [sic] horde comes over the wall, I'll want a firearm - any firearm. But it is still a want.

More misery and unhappiness fills out lives because we convince ourselves that a want is a need. When we need something, we become entitled. If you believe you are entitled, you empower me to control you.