The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Do you use Steel or Aluminum catridge casings when shooting cheap "blasting ammo?"
Yes, regularly 24 26.97%
Yes sometimes 32 35.96%
Never have, might in the future 8 8.99%
Never have and never will 25 28.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24, 2008, 07:19 PM   #26
Lashlarue

It seems like even CCI admits that some firearms are not suitable for aluminum cased cartridges.Plus many times where a defect might cause a bulged case in brass, catastrophic failures occur with aluminum.
Old October 24, 2008, 08:27 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

Do you have the story behind that picture? It looks like an interesting one...
Old October 24, 2008, 10:02 PM   #28
gb_in_ga

Quote:
What do you meen bad peening?
Damage that is caused by metal battering against metal. Think of it as what happens to the head of a chisel when repeatedly struck by a heavy hammer. In the case of the gun that was damaged, the peening was along the lower edge of the bolt face where it strikes the rim of the top round in the magazine, stripping it from the magazine when feeding. The nice, sharp, square edge was pounded so that it was rounded and had a pronounced burr. It never fed right after that, until the gun was sent in for warranty service and had the respective part replaced.

Quote:
Also, is aluminum what you'd call a "bimetal" case?
No. Different animal altogether. Bimetal cases are steel cases that have a copper wash over them. The basic idea is to lessen the negative aspects of plain steel cases. I found that it didn't help -- those bimetal cases were what caused the peening problem described above. Note that brass cases are softer and have more "springy" "give" than steel cases or bimetal cases, and therefore they are what suffers the peening instead of gun parts. Bimetal cases are not as liable to cause some sorts of damage, however, as opposed to plain steel cases.
Old October 24, 2008, 10:32 PM   #29
.38Catt

I realize that the question pertains to auto-loader use, but my experience with aluminium in a .357 revolver was not good. The cases seemed to expand due to heat and locked up the revolver to the point where the swelled case would not allow the cylinder to rotate. Had to wait for it cool before I could even open the cylinder. Since then, I do not use aluminum for anything. Steel, okay. I'd use brass or nickle if I reloaded, but I due not reload.

Catt
Old October 25, 2008, 12:14 AM   #30
dogtown tom

Lashlarue,

That appears to be a case rupture from premature ignition, correct? As in the cartridge was not fully chambered before the primer was struck. I think the case wouldn't have unfolded like that if the rupture occured in the chamber.

If so, it is more a fault of the firearm than the case material. Brass cartridges will rupture exactly like that.

From what I remember, CCI didn't recommend the use of aluminum cased Blazer in certain (Marlin?) lever action rifles due to their extractor design. It had nothing to do with kabooms.

I believe that CCI also changed their aluminum alloy several years ago to reduce "sticking" issues in revolvers.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 27, 2008, 12:38 AM   #31
CalvinandHobbes

Well again, thanks for all the wonderful feedback. I've decided to get a bunch of aluminum and and probably the same amount (1000 rounds) in brass. I found a great deal on brass at Dicks (7.50 a box). Anyone have any opinions on ULTRAMAX remanufactured ammo? Is it still reloadable?

-To Mal H, I made the poll mutiple choice so I could get a wider range of more accurate responses

-I am thinking steel will go only in my russian/czeck arms.

Thanks again all!

-Cal
Old October 27, 2008, 11:22 AM   #32
vytoland

up until recently, i have been using blazer aluminum. i got a shipment of 1000 rounds from AMMO Man and i will be saving the brass from the spent shells. when its time to get some more ammo i will send the spent brass to MASTER CAST for some even less expensive ammo.
Old October 29, 2008, 02:27 AM   #33
RockyMtnTactical

Sometimes. I generally find better QC with brass cased ammo. I also keep the cases for future reloading...

Tags
ammo , ammunition , casings , reloading , steel