The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2001, 08:05 PM   #1
Gary H

Shotgun: Light Target Loads

I've got my equipment setup to load 12 and 20 ga. light target loads in Premier/STS hulls. Need to buy primers, wads and powder. A few questions:

1. I purchased Premier STS Light Target Loads at Walmart. I've read posts stating that there is a Premier and a separate STS hull. That really confuses me, since the loaded version specifies Premier STS. Any light on this issue?

2. What is your favorite 20 ga. 7/8 oz load?

3. What is your favorite 12 gauge 1 oz. and 7/8 oz. loads?

Will be buying powder, wads and primers. Have a couple of reloading manuals, but not real experience as to what shoots great, clean and cheaply.

Thanks
Old August 7, 2001, 11:34 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

Ok here goes:
1. To see the light, get Lyman's Shotgun Reloading manual. It has color cross sections of just about every hull ever made along with load data. I just ordered it last week. It's one of the better manuals and will clear up all of your hull questions.
2. Don't have a 20 anymore (since I started reloading)
3. I don't have one as I shoot 1-1/8oz loads almost exclusively, but if I did, it would be Federal high power hulls, a Claybuster equivalent to the 12SO wad, Lawrence #8 shot,Winchester 209 primers and a 19-20gr charge of Hodgdon Clays (22gr for 7/8). I'm a huge fan of the "WalMart special" Federal hulls, as they seem to be sturdier than the AA's and cheaper than STS's as almost everyone just tosses them at my range. They have a one piece hull, so I don't know what people are thinking.....
Components:
I've been using Winchester's 209 blue box primers. These seem to work as good as anything else I've used, and they run about $3 cheaper per 1k for me. Claybuster generic wads are the way to go. These are usually quite cheaper. Some think that the patterns aren't as good, but I've not had a problem. As for powders, I'm partial to Green Dot as it is incredibly versatile and very cheap to shoot. Clays and Universal Clays are also good versatile powders that shoot extremely clean.
Old August 7, 2001, 11:56 AM   #3
Gary H

Just ordered the Lyman #4.
Old August 7, 2001, 11:43 PM   #4
VAdoublegunner

aHaaa! finally something I have some experience with (hence the doublegun). I've been shooting clays for a looong time and for the last several years have found that I really prefer light loads...less wear and tear on gun and shooter and often superior pattern performance on clays.

My all time favorite 20 light target load has become a 3/4 oz. load in an AA20 hull. I use 16.2gr (MEC#25 bushing) of Solo 1250, a WW209 primer, an AA20 hull and either a Claybuster CB20 or Windjammer 20 wad, with 3/4 oz of 8 or 8.5 hard shot. Use zero wad pressure (but make sure it's seated) and you will have to adjust your pre-crimp die lower to "gather" more plastic to get a really fine crimp. This load breaks clays with more authority than you will believe [well, OK, shotguns can be finicky sometimes, but this patterns pretty well for me] and is, paradoxically, especially good at longer ranges.

My favorite 12 load used to be 1oz. with WSL powder @ 1290fps, but WSL has been discontinued.

I've been working with a 7/8 oz. load using 22.0 WST (that's Win. Super Target - MEC #30 bushing), a WW209 primer, a WWAA12L wad (the grey ones, not SL pinks)in a Win AA12 case. Velocity is given @ 1325fps, pressure @7900 psi and these hit Hard with suprisingly mild recoil.

The above loads are very clean and somewhat cheaper due to the reduced shot charges.

As always, you should double check any load data with the powder manufacturer's manual, certainly to confirm any you see posted. Also, those bushing/charge weights charts are sometimes off due to density variations in powders, so check everything carefully. And avoid messing around with substituting components -- this is risky business with shotgun shells *even for experienced shotshell reloaders* who should know better. I occasionally load Rem Premier hulls, but my loads, though mild, are slightly off the books so I'd recommend sticking to published data.