The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2017, 02:12 PM   #1
TLeo

question about value....

I have a EMP in 9mm which is still basically like new and only taken out for one range trip. I am planning on taking it to a gun show this weekend to see if it will sell but am on the fence about my asking price. How does $850 sound to folks? It does have the kydex holster. mag carrier and extra magazines in the original case and of course night sights. Bought it new last year.

Last edited by TLeo; May 22, 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old May 22, 2017, 03:32 PM   #2
FITASC

If your goal is to sell it to a dealer at the show, plan on getting about 60% of blue book - basically like a pawn shop. If you are going to try and sell to someone walking around, you can get more.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 22, 2017, 03:52 PM   #3
45_auto

Considering that a brand new one goes for about $850 ($824 plus $25 transfer, free shipping), not many people I know would be interested.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/719016867

Accessories (night sights, mags, holsters) might be worth $50 to somebody if you're lucky. Highest I would go if all the extras were useful would be about $750, over that I'll just buy new. Probably be lucky to get $600 from a dealer, $700 private sale would be realistic around here.
Old May 22, 2017, 03:59 PM   #4
TLeo

I haven't seen any of them go for that low price you mentioned but maybe they have dropped a bit. Every time I see one around here it is at least a grand but thanks for the reply and I'll give it some thought. I would likely keep it before I offered it to a dealer knowing how they work but I'll see how it goes.
Old May 22, 2017, 04:35 PM   #5
TunnelRat

An lgs near me has been trying to sell two used EMPs at that price. They've been on the shelves for months. That said I'm of the opinion that the market for used pistols currently is terrible for sellers, especially given the prices of new stock these days.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 22, 2017, 06:19 PM   #6
JWT

FITASC right on target. 60% of book retail value is a good figure. Perhaps 65% if it's in like new condition with the original box and paperwork. Just sold a like new Kimber to a local gun store noted for decent, fair prices and got exactly 60%.
Old May 22, 2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Ibmikey

Buy high sell low---makes sense to me? I guess that is why I do not sell my firearms.
Old May 24, 2017, 06:20 PM   #8
larryh1108

If you want $850 for the package, list it for $925 and leave room to come down. If $850 is your minimum then you don't have to sell it if you don't get that price. Nothing lost if you are going to the gun show anyways. No harm in trying and you'll get a feel for the market in your area.
Old May 25, 2017, 01:40 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Dealers do not use the Blue Book. Said book is at least 2 years out of date and dealers base their offers on their wholesale price and if they think they can sell it fast.
There are several used EMP's on Gunbroker at less than $850 with no bids at all. Including one at $650.
Old May 25, 2017, 02:54 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Dealers do not use the Blue Book.
The dealers around me do.
Maintain situational awareness