The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2013, 09:58 AM   #26
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse
It sucks but it isn't like you buy the gun and get the mags free. You pay for them in the price of the gun or in the after market.
Bingo! I'm paying for those mags, so it should come with ones I want. With most guns, the original manufacturer makes the best mags, so those are the ones everyone wants. But with 1911s, many people have their favorite aftermarket mags that are usually better than the original manufacturer's mags.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:07 AM   #27
Rinspeed

Quote:
I agree with the OP. Selling a high-end assembly-line pistol with just one magazine is, in my opinion, short-changing the customer. I passed on Kimber about ten years ago, and bought a Springfield Armory micro-compact instead, partly because Kimber only provided one mag.

That's the same Springfield Armory that uses a two piece barrel to save money.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:44 AM   #28
Theohazard

^^^ Another good point; would you rather have them cut costs in the manufacture of the gun, or instead cut costs by not providing an extra mag that many people don't want anyway?
Old November 2, 2013, 10:51 AM   #29
TunnelRat

Quote:
^^^ Another good point; would you rather have them cut costs in the manufacture of the gun, or instead cut costs by not providing an extra mag that many people don't want anyway?
I'd agree if the example for cutting magazines in this thread wasn't the great Mimber.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 2, 2013, 01:53 PM   #30
Theohazard

Ha, well, yeah. I just mean in general I guess. Though I wouldn't want Kimber to cut any MORE cost in the manufacture of the gun by providing an extra mag!
Old November 2, 2013, 01:54 PM   #31
UncleEd

Rinspeed,

I hope you're not a fan of the Browning Hi-Power.
Old November 3, 2013, 01:11 AM   #32
Walter

Quote:
That's the same Springfield Armory that uses a two piece barrel to save money.
That may be true, but I didn't know about the two-piece barrel when I bought the gun. And after having it, carrying it, and shooting it for 9 years, I don't care about it. The gun is as accurate as any 5" 1911 I have ever shot, and it eats anything I feed it, with ZERO FTFs using the factory mags.

The Kimber I looked at may well have been just as reliable a gun, but I'll never know, and I have no regrets about that.

W
Old November 3, 2013, 05:33 PM   #33
LarryFlew

Don't forget all of the mark ups between factory and new gun owner.

Back in the 70's if appliance mfg could save 6 cents on cost it was a dollar less retail. About the time dryer backs went from all screws to at least one side having some type of none screwed connection. As service reps our suggestion saved 24 cents and retail price came down just enough to become top selling mfg for that year before other mfg did the same.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:16 PM   #34
thedudeabides

While I'd like to pile on manufacturers that offer only one mag with their pistols, Sig and Kimber come to mind, when it comes to 1911s I honestly wouldn't notice if they came with no mags. 1911s are one of the few semis that aftermarket mags are often better than the ones that come with the gun.