The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 9, 2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Nakanokalronin

Just bought a P64 and I have some questions....

I just bought a P64 made in 1971. I got to choose between 2 different P64s at my LGS and the differences don't quite line-up with what is online or at the Unofficial P64 source.

Mine is made in 1971, the other is 1969. Mine has the round hammer, longer feedlip on the magazine and a different trigger pull meaning it starts the pull sooner. It seems to be shoot a little and holstered somewhat.

The 1969 has the shorter feedlips, round hammer and sloppy trigger travel before it starts the pull ,but seemed to be in almost unissued or rearsenaled condition.

The problem is, the only info I can find says the older short feed lip mags and round hammer are from 1969 and earlier and the longer feedlip mags and triangular hammer are from 1972 and beyond. Since mine is from 1971 with a round hammer, modified trigger and long feedlips, does it fall somewhere as a transition pistol? I'm worried that I might have feed problems and not have a shorter feed lip magazine on hand to modify mine.

ETA: I'm picking it up in a couple days so no pictures or range time as of yet, but it seems the magazines are of utmost importance when it comes to feeding and the year of the P64 itself.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Doyle

Remember that these pistols are military or police surplus. Think if them the same way you would a military surplus 1911. Armorers could have easily done some swapping around with parts - particularly the mags.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Nakanokalronin

That was one of the thoughts that came to me when I was comparing the two in the store. According to all the internet searching I've done, it seems to be pretty standard about what comes with certain years though. I know both types of mags will work in the newer (supposedly '72 and up) P64s but the older type (supposedly '69 which means '70 and '71 are in the dark) run reliably with the shorter feed lips. Without a short feedlip mag to use as a template to modify mine (if need be), I guess I'd be SOL.