The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 25, 2000, 01:02 PM   #1
Deputydave

It is a 6 shot, breaktop with Pat date on the top of the barrel of Oct 4, 97 (as in 1897) serial #9058.

Any info or value would be appreciated. It is in fair condition. Is it worth reconditioning.
Old August 25, 2000, 09:44 PM   #2
cghammo

Deputydave, if it has an exposed hammer, it is probably the Automatic Ejecting model. This model was introduced about 1897.
If the rear of the frame is built up to conceal the hammer it may be the Hammerless. This was the last of the nineteenth-century patterns produced by H & R.
I have no idea as to the value, I wouldn't think it would be much though. If it was mine I would leave it as is. Hope this helps.
Old August 26, 2000, 11:36 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those old H&Rs only bring about $100 if in perfect condition. Most are far from that, and many are downright dangerous. It would not be economically feasible to have it reconditioned or to do any work on it. If it has sentimental or family value, keep it as is.

Jim