The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 7, 2010, 07:23 PM   #1
rjrivero

Better host for a Trident 9?

I went to my local Class 3 and put a Trident 9 on the "Sold: Pending Form 4" shelf.

This can will be splitting time on my 9mm AR and on a pistol. The question is, Which pistol.

I have a Beretta 92 that I could have threaded and I have a 9mm Glock. I'm thinking the strait back motion of the Beretta would be the better host than the barrel tilt lock up of the Glock. I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

RJ

Last edited by rjrivero; October 7, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:05 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Why not both? All you need is a threaded barrel for each gun.

The 92 has to unlock, it just uses a different system than the Glock.

Many folks like the Beretta because with some tinkering you can get them to run without the recoil booster on the can. I think using a 10 pound recoil spring is part of it. However the weight of the can is an important factor in this and I don't know if the Trident is to big or not to work without a booster. If you get your Beretta to run without a booster, you must change springs before you shoot it without the can.

On either gun your iron sights won't be as tall as the can so you will need to "aim through" the suppressor or find a new sight system. Tall sights, laser, whatever.
Old October 8, 2010, 07:52 AM   #3
rjrivero

I'm sure eventually both will be the answer, I'm just wondering which one should be "first."
Old October 8, 2010, 10:46 AM   #4
fireman1291

Ok, easy answer.

If your Trident came with the LID then use the glock, if it came with the fixed adaptor then use the Beretta and a 15lb recoil spring. Eventually youll thread every gun or buy a can for every gun anyway.
Old October 8, 2010, 11:50 AM   #5
rjrivero

I think you guys are right. Eventually it will be every gun in the collection with threads on the end.

My dealer made me a package deal with both a LID and a Fixed thread device. I decided to start with 9mm to put on my 9mm AR SBR as well as for use with my Glock. I then remembered my Beretta 92FS which is sitting in my safe......I thought that with the non-tilting barrel, it may function better than the glock with the Trident in place. Judging by the responses so far, I guess I was wrong.

Both it is.
Old October 8, 2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

Obligatory Trident9 pic.

I have recently added the tall "suppressor" sights from Ameriglo to my Sig. I am not happy with them. At 20 feet my POI is three inches above my POA. I am thinking about mounting a Docter sight on it...
Old October 8, 2010, 06:47 PM   #7
rjrivero

Sights...

I had a chance to handle my dealers demo Beretta with the Trident 9 on it. Even though the sights were directly behind the can, I didn't find it a big deal transitioning from target to target. I was surprised at how unobtrusive it was to "aim through" the can. I think I'll just leave the sights alone for now and see how it goes.