The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 3, 2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Michael Anthony

shoulder stock on a side-by-side sbs?

Everyone is familiar with the short barrel side by side shotgun, but I've always seen it with the stock removed as well as having the barrel cut down.

Anyone have any pics, examples or experiences with one that still has the shoulder stock?
Old December 4, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

Like this?

Old December 4, 2009, 03:48 PM   #3
VUPDblue

Willie, that is a beauty! If my state weren't so jacked-up I'd probably have a safe full of those in various configurations..../drool
Old December 4, 2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Michael Anthony

Exactly, Mr. Lowman.

Thanks for the pic, any comments on its handling, accuracy or practicality?
Old December 8, 2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

That is not my gun, just a pic I found on Google. That's a Dominion Arms Outlaw I think... Made in China and sold in Canada... We can make guns like them here with a Form 1.

My dealer has a gun like that that he cut down after getting back his Form 1.
Just after the cut down it wasn't very accurate because of the lack of a front bead. It was fine for a close range point and shoot but hitting anything moving (clay targets, rolling melons) was harder than I expected. He later added a brass bead for a front sight.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; December 8, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:47 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The folks who sell hearing aids would love that gun!

FWIW, the usual scheme is to cut the barrels, then cut the stock to a pistol grip. The gun is then used like a pistol, held at arms length.
Jim
Old December 8, 2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

The usual scheme has a much higher cool factor but a PGO 12gauge with 8 inch barrels doesn't get half the mileage as one with a stock... Ya may not look like the Road Warrior but it is a lot easier to shoot it all day.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:51 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
FWIW, the usual scheme is to cut the barrels, then cut the stock to a pistol grip. The gun is then used like a pistol, held at arms length.
And I can tell you from personal experience that firing one with just a pistol grip usually results with the release lever buried in the web of flesh between your thumb and first finger and a lot of blood. LMAO!!

(But that was long ago and far away.)
Old December 9, 2009, 12:07 PM   #9
David Hineline

shooting no blood no broken fingers. Do not pull both triggers at one time.

Old December 9, 2009, 01:29 PM   #10
hickstick_10

Quote:
That is not my gun, just a pic I found on Google. That's a Dominion Arms Outlaw I think... Made in China and sold in Canada... We can make guns like them here with a Form 1.

My dealer has a gun like that that he cut down after getting back his Form 1.
Just after the cut down it wasn't very accurate because of the lack of a front bead. It was fine for a close range point and shoot but hitting anything moving (clay targets, rolling melons) was harder than I expected. He later added a brass bead for a front sight.
Good friend of mine bought one of those on sight. while it looks cool it has got to be the CHEAPEST most shodily made side by side i have ever seen.

That being said, I wish i bought it instead of him, a man can break one of those down and stash it in a back back for camping or when your bowhunting and a bear comes for you. The gun doesnt kick to bad neather.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:18 PM   #11
MoBart

One in 20 gauge would be a better choice if you were cutting it down yourself. Get pleny of good 20 gauge shells out there and wont be as brutal as the 12. Harrington and Richardson made one around the turn of the century or after call the burgler something or other. Might have been the auto burglar but I don't think so. One of the local class 3 guys I kow around here made 15 or 20 of these in the mid 90s on 28 gauge and .410 guns. Not the first thing you think of when thinking definsive or sawed off shotgun but, they were decent shotguns to begin with and he did an awsome job refinsihg them. They were kinda fun to shoot, I got to shoot one of the .410 several times at IDPA matches he would bring one to and we would goof around with it. Anyway, he called those auto burgler when he was selling them to.