The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 21, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
poker.daddy

Para LDA Question

Usually the Para LDA (light double action) models I see have a spurless (or bobbed) hammer...DAO. But I've been seeing a few that have regular hammers. Are these just for aesthetics, or can these LDA's be operated SA/DA?

Ya'll are probably thinking this is a dumn question, but it's been bugging me.
Old June 21, 2008, 10:43 PM   #2
SouthpawShootr

Aesthetics. You can't cock the hammer in the conventional sense with an LDA.
Old June 22, 2008, 06:57 AM   #3
KCabbage

Greetings.

They say DAO, but to me it's like a fine SA with a long easy pull. There is no resistance until you get to where the trigger breaks.
I have the CCW model and love it! I've sold a number of handguns and it's the only one i've kept.

Take care
Old June 22, 2008, 07:21 PM   #4
poker.daddy

Yea, I had started another thread that I was looking for a single stack non-1911 .45. Non-1911 only because I didn't want SA-only, cocked and locked. I'm looking hard at the Para LDA's, as they have everything I DO want, minus SA.

I like the CCW and the CCO. I'd like to get "Covert Black" as opposed to stainless...but I'm not seeing that as an option on their website. Only available on the 3" .45 LDA, and that's getting awful short. Want 3.5" (CCO) or 4.25" (CCW).
Old June 22, 2008, 08:02 PM   #5
KCabbage

Go for it Poker!
I know where you can find a tan one if it helps.
Take care
Old June 23, 2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Let it Bleed

The earlier LDA's have a hammer spur whereas the newer ones have a spurless hammer. The LDA action is the same regardless of the type of hammer used.

Since the spur is superfluous, I imagine Para used what they had on hand at the beginning. When the LDA design started selling, Para probably found it worthwhile to make hammers specifically for the LDA pistols. Just a matter of design evolution on a new pistol that has been profitable for Para to continue producing.