The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Risto

what do you guys this of this deal?

I can get this for $275, does it seem like a fair deal? Also, could I cut one of these barrels down lower than 18inches (va resident)? I'm new to the whole shotgun game. I guess I just kinda want one for home defense, and ran across this ad.

Thanks in advance guys!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Remington 870 express super magnum black synthetic; 26'' shot barrel and 18" riffled slug barrel. Has sling and Remington scope mount. Slug barrel has fiber optic sights. Minor scuffs and marks from use, approx. round count 800. Also have a few extra chokes that go with gun. $375.00"
Old October 8, 2007, 01:15 PM   #2
sholling

I wouldn't cut the barrel. Look around and you'll find smooth bore 18-20" barrels fairly cheap.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:06 PM   #3
lockedcj7

You don't need the 3.5" super mag and I wouldn't pay extra for it. Some guys like having the flexibility for goose and turkey but only a masochist would shoot a lot of them.

You can find a regular 870 express for $200-$250 without really trying. Heck, I just bought an 870 Wingmaster for $159.

18" is the minimum legal length for a shotgun, regardless of the state you're in. Any shorter and it's an NFA item. I also wouldn't cut down a long bbl. An over zealous DA could crucify you for using a "sawed-off" shotgun if you were ever forced to use it. If it's a factory configuration, not as much can be made of it.
Old October 8, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Ruger4570

To me the deal sucks and a "shorter" than 18" barrel can get you a lot of time as a guest of the Federales with free meals and a bed.
Old October 9, 2007, 01:09 AM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
If you are going for HD you won't need a rifled barrel. Unless you want to use sabots or plan on deer hunting. What kind of shotgun do you want for HD a SHTF or basic HD cheap, shortbarreld, and the mere sight will turm an interlopers pants brown? (carriage gun type side by side works for this)
Old October 21, 2007, 03:33 AM   #6
Neanderthal

I think you need to shop around-keep your eyes open. That is not a cheap price for that gun.