The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 12, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1
DE Shooter

trainer/cadet rifle

I have an old Remington "cadet" rifle. I've researched it alittle with a Remington historian and a couple books. Sometime shortly after WW1 Remington or Stevens assembled these non-firing, non serial numbered rifles, from leftover Mosin Nagant M91 / US Russian 3-Line rifle parts. They were cut down to ~43inches in length to simulate Springfield 03 length. They were sold as non-firing training rifles to places like the Citadel. Anyway, I'm probably going to be shipping one. I called the BATF and asked if I needed to ship to an FFL. The response I got was a typical "cover my a$$" answer. "Probably not necessary....BUT, you should just to be safe." Why would I need to? There is no serial number, there is no firing pin, no extractor. It was assembled to be non-shooting. Just curious what others think.
Old February 12, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
MTT TL

Where is it going? To and from? Are you shipping to another state, to yourself or a relative?

You say no firing pin or extractor. If you added these parts could you shoot it?
Old February 13, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
DE Shooter

I don't believe it can fire with a proper bolt assembly, because I replaced the cadet bolt assembly with a fully functional Remington M91 bolt assembly and the bolt would not lock down closed.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:33 AM   #4
DE Shooter

Soon I will be trying to trade it on a collector's website. So, I may need to ship from DE to wherever.
Old February 14, 2012, 04:14 PM   #5
zippyfusenet

If it was a cigarette lighter that was shaped like a pistol, would you have to ship it through an FFL?

If it was a cap gun, would you have to ship it through an FFL? Even if it shot plastic toy bullets from a spring-loaded 'shell'?

No serial number. No firing pin. No extractor. Won't shoot. Sounds like a gun-shaped hunk of metal to me.