The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Sea Buck

Buck Bomb deer lure

I'm curious about "The Buck Bomb" deer lure. Has anyone tried it? Any success?
Old November 26, 2008, 04:06 PM   #2
UniversalFrost

seen it used, but the folks that were using it were "city" folks that had top dollar everything and not a clue in the world. Don't think they got a deer that year (they were leasing from my family) , but my brother and I both bagged one without using any kind of lure.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old November 26, 2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Buck Bomb got nothing for me. Used it once, no deer, meaningless with a single attempt though. I'm not sure I've seen any lure be super effective. If ANYTHING has worked enough for me to notice it's been Tinks69. I had some that looked like a deodorant stick that I rubbed on a tree. A 5-point literally stopped to lick it off. I've also had some good responses with the liquid variety.
Old November 26, 2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

And I've used Tinks69 and Trailsend with absolutely no results.
Old November 26, 2008, 05:28 PM   #5
davlandrum

I have tried them, both deer and elk bombs

At times I just lose my mind and buy stuff "just because"...

The really funny thing is, it would be hard to prove it works or doesn't work for me, as I am hunting big public land.

Anyway, I was not trampled to death by either species. I was also not impressed by the amount it disperses the scent - a faint breeze cleans it out fast. I have more confidence in a liquid that I can put in one spot...but can't say that has ever made a critter show up either...

The more I type, the more apparent it is that I am just a SUCKER...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 26, 2008, 05:45 PM   #6
crowbeaner

The only deer bomb I use is my hand crafted reloads for my Remi semi. Those Sierra Pro Hunters and WW 748 are one deadly combo. If I want some deer LURE I use James Valley Wallhanger or Full Rut. Absolutely the best there is at any price.
Old November 28, 2008, 04:56 PM   #7
ddhartzell

Tried but not convinced..

I came across these at a sporting store that was closing and clearing out. I bought like a dozen at 75 cents a piece or something ridiculous like that. I gave my dad half and I kept half.

My problem with them is this, IF they work as good as they say they do, I dont want to set them off till I am in the tree in shooting position. So I get all set, pop the top, drop to forest floor, little locking piece disconnects and can stops. Happened twice....I have not tried again.

One thing I do like about them is you can spray a bit and kinda use as a wind checker. (might as well i still got a bunch in the closet )

My dad wasnt overall impressed either.

If I had only one, Tinks 69. Tried and true

Just my 2 cents worth
Old November 28, 2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Deet

Junk, be quiet and patient, that usually works.
Old November 30, 2008, 11:12 AM   #9
UniversalFrost

the tinks 69 is great when you add it to their scent bombs (basicly a little bottle that holds 2oz. and has a wick and attaches to a tree, bush, etc...

these are simple and work great if you combine them with a scent line running across your field of fire.

Add in some coon or skunk cover scent near your stand (and a dab or two on each boot) and you are good to go.

I also like to do a mock scrape with a dripper and lay out at least 2 of the tink's 69 scent bombs to the area.

I have found that if you put skunk cover scent around your hunting area that deer will wander in and hunters will stay out. I have personally observed on multiple occasions deer running into the area and then bedding down or staying tight in the area while being pushed by other hunters. As soon as the hunters got wind of the skunk scent they would stop in their tracks and then avoid the area.

Also, when using coon cover you might want to keep an eye out for any magnum coons that might try to challenge any new coons to the area. have seen several coons follow my scent trail that I made when walking to the stand with the coon scent on my boots. Then they would sit at the bottom of the tree and look up and hiss/growl like they do,but they wouldn't come up when I would make my prescense known by tossing something at them.

anyway, happy hunting.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 1, 2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Tommy Gun

Tinks

I've used Tinks several times before with very little (deer) to show for it.

I did manage to attract a moose though. I was walking across a flat, grassy marsh with 2 other hunters while dipping long grass stems into the bottle of Tinks as we walked. Just before I got to the other edge of the marsh a bull moose comes charging out of the far end of the march. It didn't run at us but it stopped suddenly at the sent line near the center of the marsh. Just 20 yards or so away from where we stood. The moose just sniffed the air and gave us the eye for about 3 minutes. The moose then turned and walked back from where it came. Scared the #### out of us.
Old December 1, 2008, 10:23 PM   #11
Logs

I also tried Tinks69 this year and the deer would walk right by it. What did stop the deer this year was the doe in heat wafers at got at Walmart. Deer would walk up to the tree they were hanging in and try to eat them.
Old December 2, 2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Guy I hunt with really likes to use assorted scents. This year it was the buck bomb. He used it on opening day and saw a small 7 and and an even smaller 8 pointer. Three days into the season though, he took a nice 8 pointer. At this point however, he was long out of Buck Bomb and the 8 pointer walked in behind him and he got a shot at him from about 60 yards.

In my mind, he got the deer because he was quite and still, made a good shot and was in the right time at the right place.

To me, I'm just not a big believer in scents