The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2008, 04:02 PM   #1
NOWUS

30-06: New Brass, Resize Required ???

Usually I load Fired Brass.....

Going to load 100 rounds with new brass, ( Browning BAR )..

Should I resize First, Or just Load em up ????

Also, After firing in a Semi Auto, Is neck sizeing ok, Or Full length resize ???
Old February 10, 2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Hawg

New brass should be correctly sized to begin with. I don't do auto rifles but would seem to me it would function better full length resized. Maybe somebody knows better. Eventually cases for bolt guns have to be full length resized.
Old February 10, 2008, 05:11 PM   #3
hodaka

I always run new brass through a full length die. That said, I rarely buy new brass so it doesn't take that long. You don't necessarily need to full length size for an auto, but I think it is a good idea. I personally have not experienced any improvement in accuracy with neck-sized brass in my AR's, and I suspect that reliability is a tad better with full lenght sized, although I never had an issue with neck sized brass in an AR.
Old February 10, 2008, 05:19 PM   #4
ammo.crafter

Try a small-base die for your auto. The ammo will feed and lot better.
Old February 10, 2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Gbro

Chamber a few of them. If you see a problem it will be obvious.
If there is a head space problem (to much) only firing them will correct that.
The next loading (you talk about an auto-loader) full length is in order.
Old February 10, 2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Full-choke

Always case size factory unprimed brass and collet sizing is "not recommended" for semi-auto or lever rifles from what I have read.

F-C
Old February 10, 2008, 06:01 PM   #7
rwilson452

I always full length resize new brass. one in a while I find cases that the mouth is out of round. I suspect from rough handling after it left the factory.
Old February 10, 2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Coltdriver

If you take one look at the necks of brass in a new bag you will at least want to neck size them.

I always full length size everything then let them form to my chamber and then just neck size from there.

That being said I am only shooting these from a single shot rifle.

A semi automatic is much more sensitive to properly sized brass. I have never owned a BAR but even with my little AR brass I full length size it to get reliable cycling from it.
Old February 10, 2008, 08:47 PM   #9
mniesen89

I bought browning cases a couple months back and found that I didnt have to resize.I did find that the cases were very inconsistant with there OAL,make sure to measure first. Cases are good quality, I'm on my 7th load with these 30-06.
Old February 10, 2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Tim R

I neck size any new brass. After it's fired then I full length size depending what rifle it was shot in. I shoot bolt guns and semi auto service rifles. I have never had to use a small base die even for the match tuned service rifles. I believe small base dies over work the brass if it is not really needed.
Old February 11, 2008, 08:46 AM   #11
UniversalFrost

I always run new brass through a full length sizer before loading. I have always found at least 1 in the bunch that needs to be sized. Better to find out while on the press instead of when you try to chamber a round.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 11, 2008, 10:17 AM   #12
NOWUS

Thanks All: Guess I won't be lazy, I'll resize them first.....
Old February 11, 2008, 01:04 PM   #13
W. C. Quantrill

The problem comes in as to whether your dies and chamber are the same exact size. It is generally recommended that you full length resize your brass to start with, and length trim it. Then fire your brass which sizes it to your chamber. After that, neck size the brass to hold the bullet and watch the length.

If your dies are a bit smaller than the chamber, then your bullet may not perfectly line up in the throat, thus starting up the barrel some very little bit off center which could affect target accuracy. If you fire form your brass and then just neck size thereafter, then your cases are formed to your chamber and should start your boolits up the spout straight.

However, if you are not loading for a specific rifle, and are loading for more than one of the same caliber, then all you can do is full length resize and hope for the best.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; February 11, 2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old February 11, 2008, 01:07 PM   #14
Scorch

Always size and trim new brass. Case mouths on new brass are often dinged, out of round, and often out of square. It's cheap insurance rather than trying to solve the problems later.
Old February 11, 2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Shoney

I was suprised to read that noone mentioned that in addition to FL resize, the new brass should be trimmed to length.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 11, 2008, 02:14 PM   #16
W. C. Quantrill

Reread my post. --and Scorch's.
Old February 11, 2008, 02:31 PM   #17
Shoney

W. C. Quantrill
Interesting. Your post and Scorch's were not up when I began my post. I tend to cogitate and have to resignin at times. But we agree.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 11, 2008, 03:41 PM   #18
W. C. Quantrill

Agreein is good.