The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 15, 2005, 07:30 PM   #1
SevenRoundMags

Going to an indoor range for my 1st time

I know how an outdoor range works- you buy your "reciept" at the clubhouse/gun store area , and then you show the reciept to one of the RO's down at the firing line, grab a lane, and start shooting. What about indoor ranges? Whats the SOP there? How does changing targets work? Is there a time limit with a place that has but ten lanes? One last thing. I'll be taking my uncle with to teach him to shoot. Do people at indoor ranges have a problem with a 15 year old supervising a 40 year old, instead of the other way around?

Thanks
Old November 15, 2005, 07:36 PM   #2
woodland

Many indoor ranges have powered target holders. Clip it on, push the button, and it runs it out however far you want on a track in the ceiling. So nobody ever actually goes down range.
Old November 15, 2005, 08:04 PM   #3
cmreinke

Usually there is no RO actually on the range (i.e. inside the two doors that provide sound insulation for the rest of the gun store). So, you just go to your assigned lane and do what you came to do--the range is always "hot" except for rare circumstances. Most ranges charge by the hour or 1/2 hour, although many are not very strict about it and just charge a flat rate (unless you're there all day).

Be aware that some indoor ranges have restrictions on rate of fire (no rapid firing, 1 shot per second, etc.), type of ammo/gun you're shooting (no +P+ or magnums, no reloads, no rifles on the pistol range, etc.), and on shooting style (two handed shooting only, etc.). A few will insist on you using their ammo exclusively; others might require you to shoot their ammo only if you rent a gun. If in doubt you might want to ask first. Also, most ranges have a policy about shooters under 21 (certainly under 18): you must either be accompanied by a parent/guardian, or have a signed letter from a parent/guardian giving permission for someone else (over 21, of course) to accompany you in their place. The range may even require a photocopy of your parent's driver's license with said letter. You should definitely call ahead and check about this. Again, some ranges are more strict than others in enforcing it, but I have yet to visit an indoor range that does not have some kind of similar policy.

Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems. Shoot well and have fun!

-Charles
Old November 15, 2005, 08:25 PM   #4
XavierBreath

Take double hearing protection and close fitting eye protection. It's amazing how loud the gunfire is inside, and how much the brass can bounce around.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Ron R.

I agree about the hearing protection. I'm amazed how loud it is indoors with the same hearing protection that works fine outside.
Old November 15, 2005, 09:34 PM   #6
SevenRoundMags

Thanks for the replies. My mom will probably come with too, but since neither my mom nor my uncle have any firearm training/experience, would the place be okay with ME being the supervisor basically? Also, when exiting the shooting lane, won't there be a few seconds of incredibly loud gunfire going through the open doors into the main lobby area?
Old November 15, 2005, 10:15 PM   #7
rn22723

You should address all your questions to the range master at the time you pay for range time. Most ranges have a vestibule that buffers the range from the range office area/showroom. You close one door before you open the next.
Old November 15, 2005, 11:18 PM   #8
choochboost

At my range, they wouldn't let you shoot a handgun without a parent or legal guardian, but since your mom is going with you, that would be ok. Once you have a lane they couldn't care less who is training who, as long as everything is being done in a safe manner (no passing loaded firearms to others, pointing downrange, etc). Some ranges have restrictions on how many people can shoot out of the same lane. My range permits 3 per lane, while another range in my area only allows 2 per lane.
Old November 16, 2005, 01:19 AM   #9
SevenRoundMags

357SIG- how loud?

When I go, I'm either going to rent a .45acp or a 357SIG for me to use. How loud is the 357SIG going to be at an indoor range, and will it only contribute to developing a flinch? I'm thinking subsonic calibers would be good, but I'm itching to try the 357SIG
Old November 16, 2005, 02:41 AM   #10
rn22723

Granted you are new to this, but only a responsible adult can rent a lane, buy ammo, and rent a gun at most ranges. And, some I frequent do not have range rentals in all calibers. I suggest you call your intended range up on the phone and find out what is available to rent! Some places are cheap to rent from and others well renting a gun and a box of their ammo could be 50 dollars on top of range fees. You can run up quiet a bill without knowing it!

If sound bothers you, shooting is not for you! I wear custom fitted plugs, and over the ear hear protection indoors. I think sound wise you need to be more leery of 454 Casull going off then the snap of 357 sig let alone 44 mag!
Old November 16, 2005, 09:16 AM   #11
Mikeyboy

Ditto on the indoor ranges being louder, unless you go on an "off peak" time when the range is almost empty (weekdays when the range opens, or on sunday during football season) , it stinks if your trying to teach someone how to shoot. I would call ahead and ask what you can and can't do.
Old November 16, 2005, 11:46 AM   #12
rn22723

Your posts almost seem troll like IMHO. I am very sure that unless your chaperone is familiar with guns you may not be able to rent anything and there maybe concerns about two inexperienced shooters with any gun . A noob with an unfamiliar handgun on a busy indoor range is a prescription for a problem.
Old November 16, 2005, 05:44 PM   #13
SevenRoundMags

Look-
I'm no pro, but I've been shooting since I was twelve. I've shot about 9-10 pistols in about 6-7 calibers. This is just my first time shooting indoors. I feel I'm probably more mature and responsible with a firearm than some adults. Anyways...has anyone here been to Top Gun shooting range before? Is there usually a wait to get to a lane if you have a party of two or three people?
Old November 17, 2005, 10:51 PM   #14
Onebum

Call The Range For Specific Range Questions

Call the range. ONLY THEY CAN ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT THEIR RANGE.

They will answer your questions. Specific range questions can only be answered by that specific range. General shooting questions..well, good lord there is tons of GOOD info in this forum.

Look, almost every question you've asked depends on various things, not every range is the same and not every range has the same rules. Folks on here are trying to help with your questions, but they can't answer because it isn't their firing range, they don't make the rules, and they know the rules are different.

Call the range and be honest, even about your age, that won't change their rules, it will insure you get the info that pertains to your situation.

You wanna shoot at a range but want to know info about it...call 'em...They'll talk...gun folks love to talk guns...they built a business around guns...also, they're a business, and being a business they will be glad to have another safe shooter...and they will be glad to answer your questions so you can become a safe shooter using their range.
Old November 25, 2005, 09:25 PM   #15
stevewiz

30NRR ear protection is more than you need.

24 though, is not so you have to doule it up.

Indoor ranges are like vacuum and the time passes slowly.