The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 28, 1998, 02:27 PM   #1
Steve Koski

I've just installed a reduced power spring kit in my Ruger SP101 in 22 LR. I pulled 18 bullets and fired the cases in the gun. All went off.

I believe the risk of lightining hammer springs too much are unreliable ignition. I've also heard that it could cause hang fires. Has anyone actually had a hang fire with a center or rimfire cartridge, or is this a holdover belief from black powder days?

Has any of you had problems after installing reduced power springs into revolvers?
Old October 28, 1998, 03:18 PM   #2
4V50
Retired Screen Name

If you're doing it for self defense, don't change anything except for sights.

If you're doing it for sport and you or the lives of your family and friends aren't at risk, then fine.

Just remember to test the firearm with whatever load you want to carry. You may find a point where the rate of misfires is not acceptable. On the other hand, you may not have any misfires at all. Just test the modified gun with the ammunition. That's the best thing to do.

Have fun.
Old October 29, 1998, 11:35 AM   #3
chargar

The 22 LR rimfire round requires a healthy hammer strike to ignite correctly. Even though all rounds may fire...you may suffer a deterioration in accuracy with a light hammer fall. With a centerfire revolver reliability is your prime concern, but with a rimfire the concern is reliability and accuracy.
Old October 30, 1998, 11:06 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Don't forget an incomplete ignition where the bullet exits the case but does not exit the barrel.
Old November 2, 1998, 02:11 PM   #5
Steve Koski

Here's and update on the project.

I installed the reduced power trigger return spring and the 9 lb hammer spring. I got 2 misfires out of about 70 rounds. I then put in the 10 lb hammer spring and haven't had a missfire in about 50 rounds. The testing continues...