The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 2, 2004, 07:55 PM   #1
Fred Hansen

WA State Deer Hunters

For those of you who hunt blacktails here in Washington, I have a deal for you. If you would like to help out the eco-system of Vashon-Maury Island by harvesting one of our (overabundant) deer, I can get you in touch with landowner(s) that would appreciate your taking one, or two if you successfully drew a "B" tag for the "South Sound" hunt.

Let me know if you are interested. Please understand that this is a firearms restricted area (in terms of hunting), and that due to the close-quarters nature of our little islands you will need to be extra careful how/when/where you hunt.

Other than the WA St. regs there are few other rules, but here they are:
  • No Bozos
  • Be 100% sure that your shot is going to be a safe one.
  • Be considerate of the bunny-hugger types, and do whatever you can to make things go smoothly. Even after you go home, we have to live around these people.
  • Did I mention no Bozos?

Getting to and from the island(s) is a bit of a hassle, and a hunt over here isn't the most challenging thing you will ever do, but if you would like a place that would be good (and quite likely prove successful) for a beginning hunter, you wouldn't do much better than here. Lots and lots of deer!

I also have spots available that would be perfect for elderly and/or disabled hunters. If you are currently serving in our military, or if you are honorably discharged, I want to hear from YOU. There is no charge for any of this, but at least one of the landowners would appreciate a little bit of help removing some brush from an old logging road. He wants to do this to make the area that he owns more huntable.

So read the regs, pay special attention to the firearms restrictions, and also be aware that ANY tag holder may hunt during the early modern deer season provided that they conform to the weapons limit of their tag, and that they wear the appropriate Hunter Orange. Safety First!!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

If you need more information about Vashon, feel free to peruse the Vashon Sportsmen's Club link, and avail yourself of the MapQuest link (bottom right of clubhouse page) for directions/driving times.

Thanks!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore