The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 27, 2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Rufus T Firefly

Gun, Knife? How about Wasp Killer....

I listened to a broadcast about Urban survival. Wasp spray shoots 20 feet. It blinds your opponent. EZ Off oven cleaner does the same thing. Then you have time to determine if you want to pull your gun or not.

Just some alternatives. Opps, the bad guy startled me while I was trying to remove wasps officer. It was an accident!

We keep a Machette in our kitchen. We use it to cut Pizza because you can rock the blade over the pizza. I also hear it works to ignore people before you brandish your weapon and put yourself in potential legal trouble.
Old February 28, 2011, 02:18 AM   #2
kozak6

Is it unlawful to own pepper spray? Are you trying to save a buck?

For a can the same size, bear spray is good for 30-35 feet. Some other people may have issues with spraying someone in the face with lye as opposed to pepper spray.

I don't know if over cleaner will really spray 20 feet.
Old February 28, 2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Win_94

Wasp sprays are nerve agents; it is possible they'll die, and probable that you'll be arrested even if they don't. Probably more humane and safer in many ways just to shoot them.
Old February 28, 2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Wasp spray shoots 20 feet. It blinds your opponent. EZ Off oven cleaner does the same thing.
As Win_94 mentioned, something that a reasonable person would see as causing an immediate threat of death or serious bodily injury is considered lethal force. I don't think it would be very difficult for someone to argue that getting sprayed in the face with either product would not result in serious bodily injury and possibly death.

Think about it from the opposite perspective, if someone tried to spray you in the face with wasp spray, would you be justified in shooting them?

If you are going to use something in self-defense that carries the same legal problems as using a firearm, then it had better be as effective as a firearm in stopping the attack.
Old February 28, 2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

If you get a lung full of the stuff, it will do you in also.

Plus, this is judgment call and we want to discuss serious usages. Many household products could be used in an extreme emergency but that's not our role.

Closed.