The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
dewcrew8

remington #1 1/2 small promers ??

I've bought 2 boxs of small pistol primers today, and have never used this brand, and after putting them in the 357 mag brass . I read the very small print.it says not to use in 357 mag,357 sig ,and 40 s&w. has anyone used them in theses cals? I thought there was only reg and magnum primers. any thoughs.

Last edited by dewcrew8; September 3, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old September 4, 2009, 08:52 AM   #2
margiesex

First thought...

Soon there will be someone here that can give you all the factory in's and out's of primers down to their pressure's and who loads them at each factory! (these guys know their stuff)

However, my first reservation of using them in a .357 would be the lightness of the primer's "punch" or burning rate and pressure, in a cartridge that usually loaded with a good deal of powder. Or, simply, the primer isn't hot enugh to ignite all of the powder, producing enough energy to push the bullet.

I never use regular primers in my .357 - or any .357's I've owned or loaded for - because I use Alliant 2400 - 15 grains - a lot of powder than the standard primers just can't ignite.

God bless - and good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old September 7, 2009, 09:13 AM   #3
k Squared

I use regular primers for my .357 mag

I've used regular small pistol primers for .357 mag loads and never had a problem.

In fact I just ordered a couple thousand regular primers that I plan to use for .357 mag loads with Universal Clays powder. This will be a new recipe for me, but there are no notes on the Hodgdon web page that suggest magnum primers.

If I screwed up, somebody please let me know.

Last edited by k Squared; September 7, 2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Add info
Old September 7, 2009, 09:51 AM   #4
GP100man

primers

the rem11/2 will do fine i rarely use mag primers except for hard to lite powders like h-110 or 296 & lil gun & 2400 i found to be cleaner with mag primers .
the faster powders do not need a mag primer IME .
& the clays series of hodgdon was made to be small density loads insensitive to position of the powder in the case.
Old September 7, 2009, 07:13 PM   #5
dewcrew8

thanks guys , i'll load them up:D just never used that brand before.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:34 AM   #6
SL1

I don't know why Remington would put that "fine print" on their #1½ primer boxes, but I suspect it may have something to do with pressure that those rounds produce. But, there are other rounds that produce similar pressures that aren't on the list, such as the .327 Federal. Maybe they are too new and the list is too old?

Anyway, the best way to find out is ask Remington. Their "on-line help center is http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...p_sid=hgvreqHj . Their telephone number is 1-800-243-9700.

SL1