The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Poconolg

Teaching Reloading

A neighbor of mine wanted to learn how to reload pistol. I have been reloading for 42 years now. He came over to my house and I showed him the reloading process on my Dillion 650. I told him that he doesn't need a 650 to learn to reload. I told him to maybe get a turret press and to buy a couple of books to read. ABC of reloading and the Lyman manual. He told me that he don't read books and he will go on youtube instead of reading. I told him that if he wants me to teach him to reload he will have to use books and until he reads and learns why you do what to reload I will not show him how to reload. Am I wrong?
Old August 5, 2018, 03:49 PM   #2
closetgunnut

You are entirely correct sir! If he doesn't want to take the time to read and learn about reloading he shouldn't reload, period. This is am awesome hobby but it also can be a dangerous hobby. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old August 5, 2018, 03:59 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

Every day on the net forums I see people posting questions about loading and it's very obvious that they simply don't want to take the time or trouble to learn anything about it. They don't even own a reloading manual. They always seem to get some good advice and a good dose of very bad advice....probably from someone else too lazy to learn anything. Problem is, they don't know the good from the bad. It's a testimony to the firearms manufacturers that more people aren't hurt doing a lot of stupid stuff with equipment and products they don't know the first thing about.
Old August 5, 2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Poconolg, you are correct. Done properly and carefully, reloading is a safe and enjoyable hobby. IMHO, anyone who wants to approach it with an "I'll just watch a Youtube video or two" is someone who doesn't understand (and doesn't want to learn) the reasons for taking the time to do it properly. This sounds like someone with a short attention span, who will probably think it's a good idea to reload while watching a show on Netflix, and then he'll blame you when he gets a squib or a Kaboom because he didn't notice a skipped charge or a double charge..

Stay away.
Old August 5, 2018, 04:45 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

You could offer to watch a video with him, then ask a couple of questions about what-to-do-when that it doesn't answer. When he draws a blank, point out the books answer this question.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 5, 2018, 05:01 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

At a few years beyond 70, I am possibly more risk averse than many people. I've seen too many cases of people doing stupid things and injuring themselves due to completely foreseeable causes, then turning around and attempting to assign ALL liability on anyone other than themselves. For that reason, I don't advise making any effort to teach or assist someone who establishes from the outset that they aren't interested in taking the time to learn how to do [___] correctly. Yes, you are trying to be a friend, and to help. And that's all fine and dandy, right up until they experience a malfunction that results in injury to themselves or some third party. That's the moment they stop being your friend and sue you. They'll do something stupid, and then swear in court that either (a) you told them to do it; or (b) you knew they were doing it and you didn't warn them NOT to do it.

Just disengage. Look up NRA reloading classes in your area on-line and suggest they sign up for one of the classes. If they won't buy and read a book, and won't take a basic course, that pretty much tells you that they aren't interested in learning to do it right, they just want to dive in and start doing.

Recipe for disaster.
Old August 5, 2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Bfglowkey

As a new Reloader I would be lost without the 4 books, hours of brain picking and a small dose of you tube ...maybe 2% of my knowledge came from the tube....the rest was books and a few very knowledgeable folks who took the time to answer my ludicrous amount of questions to ensure I comprehended what I had read. It sounds like he is intrigued by the idea of what reloading has to offer but can't be bothered with the time it takes to learn it properly....he will no doubt loose interest when he realizes the time investment it takes and or he has a accident which I hope doesn't hurt him. Not a great thought
Old August 5, 2018, 05:43 PM   #8
FITASC

I have seen some You Tube videos posted on reloading that should be pulled for their stupidity and advancing a dangerous agenda. If your friend doesn't want to read the information published by the folks who literally "wrote the book", then I would decline to teach him as well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 5, 2018, 06:54 PM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
I have seen some You Tube videos posted on reloading that should be pulled for their stupidity and advancing a dangerous agenda
Correct. However, I have also seen some that were very well done. I agree with UncleNick that watching videos with him wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old August 5, 2018, 09:55 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
I have seen some You Tube videos posted on reloading that should be pulled for their stupidity and advancing a dangerous agenda.
Correct. However, I have also seen some that were very well done. I agree with UncleNick that watching videos with him wouldn't be a bad idea.
The problem is knowing which is which. You can sit there and point out what's wrong in a video, and the guy who refuses to buy or read a book is just as likely as not to think that video is the best of the bunch because it makes things look so easy and ignores all the useless safety precautions other people try to reinforce. So he'll proceed to ignore your comments because the worst video on Youtube reinforces his preconceptions.

And he'll still sue you when something blows up, for not telling him he was doing it wrong.

I remain adamant in my opinion that this is a case in which it's best to disengage completely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge and Shotgun Reloading Instructor
Old August 5, 2018, 10:04 PM   #11
Jim Watson

To misquote John D. McDonald, some YouTube shows are right, some are partly right, and some just look like they might be right.

And it is hard to go through a video looking up one piece of information.
Old August 5, 2018, 11:02 PM   #12
TXAZ

I don’t reload for some of the reasons above.
Yes I could save $3-4/ round (.50 BMG), but I also realize a bit of inattentiveness or precision could be harmful / deadly, or just very poor accuracy. .
For a guy that doesn’t have the patient of Job, I’m happy to pay for match ammo from highly reputable vendors.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 6, 2018, 12:20 AM   #13
markr6754

Stick to your gut! I’m a new reloader. I’ve watched 100s of YouTube videos. They showed me how to do some things I wasn’t comfortable doing on my own. I read the Hornady book, I read the ABCs of Reloading, I downloaded copies of every load manual I can find. YouTube has a lot of junk out there...and until I read a few manuals, I didn’t know which was which. The videos demo how to load....but they don’t teach you what to load. They helped to explain my equipment to me, but the books and manuals taught me reloading safety. They taught me to respect the process. They taught me the importance of building up loads by starting low and increasing powders, or changing COL in steps, checking for signs of over pressure, overcrimping, handling high primers, and a myriad of other things that remind me that even after 7 months of regular reloading, I’m still in Kindergarten.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that this forum, and the collective you, have been excellent resources, mentors, professors, and punishers along the way. I remember my first @$$ chewing for something stupid I did...which taught me to me much more cautious, and to pay closer attention to every detail, as there are too many steps that can go wrong, and I don’t want to take one. But it also taught me to respect the caliber of the people posting in this place.
Old August 6, 2018, 01:22 AM   #14
kmw1954

I have to go along with much of what Markr6754 has stated and agree with Poconolg. If he's not going to read for himself then he'll need a different teacher.

When I started in 1980 all there was were the published books, the monthly mag's and whatever friends you could find. There were no videos or forums to assist, to ask questions or view mistakes.

Today I find the forums and videos to be a tremendous resource but they still need to be taken with caution. A lot of self made Pros out here in cyberworld.

I remember well when markr6754 first came on the scene and started asking questions. He asked smart, well thought out questions and paid attention to the answers he got from everyone. Even questioning some of the answers because he was unsure of the response.

Heck I come here because I'm still learning and there are some very intelligent folks on this forum!
Old August 6, 2018, 02:52 AM   #15
Blindstitch

I disagree with youtube not being usefull and giving good advice but the problem is it's a spot where everyone can video their advise. RCBS and a few other reloading equipment makers do really good jobs at explaining and demonstrating how to use their equipment. But as everyone mentioned you do need a book. For granted when I started reloading at age 10 I didn't have a book but my grandpa who was also a gunsmith did a really good job at explaining things. But the rules of his bench are always no food, no drinks, no music, only the powder you're using and if something doesn't seem right dump it out and start over.

When I got back into reloading a few years ago all the same rules still apply and I read everything I could get my hands on. Then a friend showed me how to reload shotgun shells on a MEC. Boy was that sweet. All set up just add powder and shot. No measuring after a load is set up. Like a gumball machine for factory ish ammo. I bet your neighbor wants that life but would probably be better off buying factory ammo if they're not willing to put in the time to learn.
Old August 6, 2018, 04:26 AM   #16
GeorgeandSugar

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 6, 2018, 05:53 AM   #17
hooligan1

My brother taught me, and the first words out of his mouth was,"you're not touching anything here until you've read these two books front to back". One was ABC's of Reloading and the NRA handloading book. And he asked me questions before about stuff in those books, I've been loading since 1986.
Old August 6, 2018, 06:36 AM   #18
J.G. Terry

Simplest is the best-Teaching Reloading

Simplest is the best-Teaching Reloading: Some years back the local Rifle Club started workshops on reloading and bullet casting. We started with very basic stuff. Simple meant single stage press and other most basic equipment. Taught novices to use books and double check everything. Each participant got actual on hands experience. The facilitator collected the loaded cartridges. Then learners went to the range to shoot the cartridges that had just been loaded. Reading and watching YouTube is OK. Absolutely no voodoo reloading.

My opinion: Being coached competently through each step beats all the alternatives.

Addendum: Everybody needs to accept that some people are unteachable. Hope somebody is not saying that about me. "If you are not busy being born you are busy dying"-Bob Dylan.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; August 6, 2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old August 6, 2018, 09:25 AM   #19
Wag

Some people learn better through reading. Others by watching others do it (including video). Some learn best by doing and by making their own mistakes.

Myself, I learned how to reload well before the internet was on every device in every home so there was no video. And I didn't know anyone who could show me how. So I read two loading manuals and launched right into it.

But it would have driven me mad to have to watch a video on how to do it. The worst thing about video is that it's a horrible reference library. How do you look up a minor detail in a video?

If I would going to teach someone who wanted to watch videos, I'd just explain that he'd need to watch several, he should stick to the major manufacturers videos and not the home loading "wizards" and then come back to my workshop to work with me a for a while so I can explain all of the safety and the minor details that videos have a harder time showing you.

--Wag--
Old August 6, 2018, 09:31 AM   #20
USSR

Good for you, Poconolg. I am an NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, and we use books supplied by the NRA. IMHO, anybody who is impatient enough to not want to read a book, is likely not someone who has the patience and persistence to follow safe reloading practices. Again, just MHO.

Don
Old August 6, 2018, 11:20 AM   #21
T. O'Heir

"...will go on Youtube..." A decidedly unsafe thing to do. Anybody with Internet access can post anything they want there.
Mind you, everybody learns differently. Wouldn't think twice about learning anything from a book myself. My brother needs to be shown how to do everything. Your neighbour is likely one of those. Show him yourself.
Old August 6, 2018, 11:48 AM   #22
Sevens

It's my opinion that too many folks see this as an all-or-nothing proposition and make no room for the blurred lines. I myself am not a fan of YouTube, but I absolutely understand that is has value. When I need to take apart a gun beyond a field strip, a decent YouTube video is a massive help because read as you might, it doesn't always show a significant small moment where seeing really gets the message across.

Of course, it is the internet, so you need to be astute when you are interviewing your source. And here's a message for everyone who believes it is "books or bust", there are some crap books out there also and plenty of manuals that you can spend and waste your money on that won't get you what you are looking for. Using the internet teaches you to be critical of your "teacher" and it costs only time.

I started handloading in 1988 as a 16yr old. My Dad was gone before that time. I had absolutely no mentor... I had a Speer#11 and one local gun store that had primers and powder and the worst, sneering attitude toward a young person that I couldn't even replicate if I tried.

I started with 20ga on a MEC-650 and then shortly after, metallic with .38 Special and then .45, .30 Carbine and 10mm. Every single thing that I did came from guidance from the Speer#11 and the occasional short article in Guns & Ammo, but those articles seemed to create more questions for me than answers.

When did I blossom as a handloader? Look to the left under my user name. It was the summer of 2007 when I finally had a place where folks could HELP. They didn't simply answer questions, they offered suggestions and the best folks explained the background of what was happening rather than simply tell me what to do. And the search engine here offered nearly ENDLESS handloading subjects to sift through, and it still does.

You simply have to have enough working brain to read what is offered and decide if the author knows what he's talking about. HINT! Exactly the same is true even when you have paid for the book and you are physically flipping pages.

I agree that a new handloader ought to embrace a load manual or two, but I'm dead sure certain that I've taught a half dozen or more folks more about handloading (in person and via e-mail and txt, not through a forum) then these guys have read from a manual. A very DATED manual that is not only oblivious to routine developments in this hobby, but it absolutely BLIND to other brands of tools beyond whichever seems to have sponsored his published manual.

The hardliners are missing that, or they refuse to admit it and share it.
Old August 6, 2018, 12:00 PM   #23
Doyle

I think that videos are most useful in trying to decipher less-than-perfect instructions that come with certain reloading equipment or tools. For example, simply reading the instructions for a bullet comparator can leave a newby somewhat confused. However, watching someone on a video actually do it makes the light bulb go on.
Old August 6, 2018, 01:17 PM   #24
J.G. Terry

Hands on and Mentorship

Hands on and Mentorship: Sending somebody to read the books only makes for more questions and additional education to undo misunderstanding. Loading manuals are vital. I started off on my own. Learned stuff by bumping into it. Did much better when I got mentors. In that day there was no net. Those guys did not read gun magazines. They are all gone now. I fell heir to a friends loading manuals. Lyman's that go back to the late 1940's. I find it no chore to get people going reloading. Have done this many times.
Old August 6, 2018, 02:35 PM   #25
Tsquared

When I was taught it was a step hands on process in the 70's. We had manuals on the shelf for reference but everything was explained with examples of what could go wrong. Anything I did was under supervision till I was about 15 years old. At that time I was allowed to use only blue dot powder to reload 38 special loads for a Ruger Security six 357. I was restricted to Blue Dot until I graduated high school.