The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Micro man

Glock 30

Thinking about buying myself a retirement present and wanted some input from the group . I shoot mainly 9mm and 38/357 and was considering branching out into a 45 ACP, have not shot ones in years and that was a 1911.

I don't own any Glock pistols and was considering the Glock 30. I wanted to get some opinions from those who have owned or used the 30 and what they thought about recoil in a smaller framed gun and the possibility of concealed carry with this model.

Thanks for your input.

Micro man
Old July 24, 2018, 08:11 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Not the 30, but the 29. It's pretty fat! Like a brick! Could conceal it IWB, but not pocket carry. Shot as good as the compact size glocks or even full size, no problem in even the 10mm recoil with full house loads. The 30 can be converted easily to multiple of other calibers with barrel change including 10mm.

If I ever got a 20 or 29 again, it definitely would be the SF frame!
The 36 is much thinner.
Old July 24, 2018, 08:18 PM   #3
jmr40

You need to get out and handle one and shoot one if possible. I don't have the G30 ,but do have the larger G20 and G21 in 10mm and 45 as well as the compact 10mm G29. (same size as the G30) I bought the full size guns years ago and have always liked both of them. But after buying the smaller G29 prefer that size. If I were interested in buying another 45 it I'd go with the G30. But for me the 10mm round does the same thing only better.

I find that I shoot the smaller G29 every bit as well as the bigger guns and I'm sure the G30 would be no different. If ammo capacity is a concern the longer full size mags work in the smaller guns for the same number of rounds or you can carry them with shorter mags for better concealment.

But both guns are thick with big grips that a lot of people can't wrap their hands around. While listed as subcompact they are almost identical in height and overall length as the mid size G19 or G23. But about 1/8" thicker.

If the gun will fit in your hand it would be hard to go wrong.

Winston Churchill
Old July 24, 2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Mosin44az

Haven’t owned but have thought about it for years and thus have rented one several times. Felt recoil is more intense than it is with the Springfield XD/ XDm series, and I have as a result gone with those. XD Mod 2 Subcompact.45 handles recoil surprisingly well for instance, and the XDm Compact is also better on recoil in my experience. The slimmer XD-S .45 is more intense, but the latest mod 2 version with milder grip texturing might be OK.

Although I think Springfield ( and Smith M & P and Beretta Px4 Compact) handle recoil better, I’m not saying you would find the Glock intolerable. Glock ‘s reputation for reliability,ruggedness and its aftermarket support are appealing, and why I keep thinking of getting a G30 as a “ supplement “ if the price is right. If you can possibly borrow or rent one and judge for yourself that would be best.

As for carry, it is a bit fat, and about the bulk of a Glock 19. I would say too big, but you might be skinnier and it might be easier in Michigan than in Arizona ( I pocket carry). Can’t think of skinnier.45s that I know might work other than the XD-S mentioned.
Old July 24, 2018, 09:03 PM   #5
BillG174

I have a Glock 30 Gen 4 and I really like it. I carry it in a Nate Squared Professional IWB holster with an 18 oz. Bigfoot gun belt with a steel core. The holster and belt make all the difference and I can carry the G30 all day with no issues. People say the G30 is too thick to conceal and carry but I don't find that to be the case.

It is considered a soft shooting gun with no excessive recoil. I wish the grip was a little longer to give my pinky finger a little more room.

Try to rent a G30 before you buy to make sure you like the gun.

Freedom Is Not Free
SAF, GOA, Kansas State Rifle Association
Old July 25, 2018, 09:45 AM   #6
Micro man

Thanks for the information. I'm hoping to get to my LGS this week to check them out and will update you with what I decide

Micro man
Old July 25, 2018, 11:54 AM   #7
CDW4ME

Glock 30SF: Easy to conceal, comparatively moderate recoil, 10 rounds 45 acp
My chrono averages for 5 shots:
Glock 30SF
Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr. @ 811 fps / 336# KE
Winchester Ranger T 230 gr. @ 903 fps /417# KE
Federal Hydra-Shok 185 +P @ 1,005 fps / 415# KE
Remington Golden Saber 185 +P @ 1,008 fps / 418# KE
Old July 25, 2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Bart Noir

I prefer the G30 S. That is the frame of the G30 SF combined with the slide of the G36. So you have a slimmer slide and it just feels better to me.

But I am all in favor of the SF frame. It makes the grip a little smaller in the front-to-back measurement and hence makes it less of a block of wood grip.

Bart Noir
Old July 25, 2018, 02:52 PM   #9
Micro man

Good to know about all the variations out there. I had heard there was a lot of after market changes you could make, but didn't know Glock made a bunch in house .
Old July 26, 2018, 12:55 AM   #10
sigxder

Had one since they first came out. It is chunky. But it fit in my G19 holsters. It is one of the most accurate .45's I own. Will shoot as good as a lot of high end 1911's. Always shoots when I pull the trigger. No matter what I put in it. What's not to like?
Old July 28, 2018, 03:03 PM   #11
smee78

I have been a Glock fan for a while and recently added a G30S to the collection. I also feel it is closer to the G19/32 sized guns but those are my favorites so for me it was a great addition. Its a great carry gun and is frequently carried when I'm not at work. I feel it is a good balance of weight/fire power and with 10+ rounds on tap I feel very comfortable.
Old July 28, 2018, 04:04 PM   #12
bp22

the worst thing I have done is trade my g30, fine gun ,contrlable, and accurate with 10rds of 45 great carry gun.
Old July 30, 2018, 12:01 AM   #13
weblance

I have a 30s. Its a great pistol. Search for a factory 9 round mag. Its has a flat floor plate like the 29 mag. It REALLY helps when trying to conceal the 30. Why Glock built a small 45, then shipped them all with a big bulb on the bottom of the mag is beyond me... well yeah, because it adds an extra round.
Old July 30, 2018, 12:17 AM   #14
SDF880

30 may be their best 45! I have one no regrets!
Old July 31, 2018, 02:33 PM   #15
vba

I love my G30. It is very accurate, reliable and low recoil.

I use the 10 round mags so my pinky has a place to go. Mine is a Gen3 SF (short frame) and fits just right in my hand. I do carry this gun in cooler weather and use an OWB holster that I prefer over IWB.

Get one, you will like it.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:29 PM   #16
Bart Noir

vba, the 9-round magazine has the same "pinky rest" as the 10-rounder, but it tapers off and is almost flush with the frame at the back of the grip.

But the 9-rounder may be hard to find.

Bart Noir
Old August 1, 2018, 06:35 AM   #17
J.G. Terry

Thick Glocks

Let me share about my "thick" Glock's. It's already been posted here about getting the right holster. True enough. You gotta get the right equipment. I have been able to carry a G30 and G29 unnoticed. I was carrying a G27, another "thick" pistol. A lecture was going on from a Gun Guru about the impossibility of carrying a "thick" Glock concealed. Hang around gun stores and learn a bunch. Right!
Old August 1, 2018, 04:59 PM   #18
the45er

I own 20 pistols and in that group, two Glocks; a 30 and a 42 for CC. The 30 is fat and ugly but wow, that pistol can shoot! I bought it from a friend who had had a trigger job done on it so that might be why it shoots so well. I don't know. My son used it for his Concealed Carry course and shot a perfect round in the range qualification. Chewed the center out of the bullseye.

What chaps my drawers about Glock is their funky barrel twisting that inspires them to tell you not to shoot bare lead bullets in them. I have 10 45 ACP's and the only one I can't shoot my 200 grain lead SWC's in is this Glock 30. Oh well.
Old August 1, 2018, 08:07 PM   #19
Micro man

Well I finally had to scratch my itch, Picked up a used G30S from my LGS the other day. They rated the condition as very good and I cannot argue with that. It came with 3 mags and the original box.

Of course since this is my first 45ACP I don't have any ammo sitting around the house,and have yet to shoot it. I did order several boxes on line and they should be here shortly, hopefully before the week end.

I can hardly wait to try it out and will post my impressions. Now I guess I will have to get opinions on CC holsters for it.

Thanks for all the information !
Old August 2, 2018, 10:43 AM   #20
the45er

Now I guess I will have to get opinions on CC holsters for it.

Living in Michigan you can probably conceal the gun most of the time with an outer garment. Here in Texas where only Hell is hotter for 4-5 months out of the year, I would consider the Glock 30 "a problem" to conceal. IMHO, the pistol is way too "fat" for an IWB holster.
Old August 4, 2018, 07:25 PM   #21
jmstr

Quote:
Well I finally had to scratch my itch, Picked up a used G30S from my LGS the other day.
Congrats!

Just read the manual and other sites' info carefully.

My recollection was that the 30S was a good, solid gun- but that it wasn't recommended for large volumes of +P .45, as the slide is thinner/lighter.

The following are my recollections, and VERY WELL COULD BE WRONG. Take them as a starting point for research to prove, or disprove:

For 'normal' loads it is great.
For +P+- don't go there.
+P is a 'carry often- shoot seldom' load for it.
Kind of like the K-Frame S&W .357magnums: carry .357mag, but shoot .38special for practice.

Enjoy!

I found a similar deal on a 30SF and jumped on it. There were no good deals on the 30S at that time or I would have jumped on the 30S and not looked back!
Old August 5, 2018, 07:06 PM   #22
BigPoppa

Although I do not carry my Gen3 Glock 30 much anymore, I would not trade it or sell it for anything out there. It is very accurate and handles the 45 ACP cartridge very well.