The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 21, 2018, 07:45 PM   #1
chaim

SIG P365, is it ready?

So, I've been busy and haven't been on the gun forums much the past few months so I haven't been watching for P365 trends. I know that the initial batch of SIG P365s had some issues. Are they sorted, or is the P365 still not ready for prime time? (I'm hearing some noise that the initial issues may be gone but there may be something with the firing pins now)

I have a SIG P250 and a SIG P290RS. Both are guns that SIG initially had issues with when they first came out, and both had the issues addressed and by the time I bought them they were nice, reliable guns, that sold at relatively low prices since the prior issues had impacted what SIG and the gun shops could sell them for.

When the P365 came out, it seemed perfect for me. I was in the market, again, trying to find a pocket/pocketable 9mm (preferably) or .380 that I actually liked. Meanwhile, in general, I'm of the more capacity the better mentality. So, a pocketable 9mm that holds 10+1 rounds is perfect. That it is similar in size to my P290 which pockets well, but is lighter is even better (the weight of the P290 is my one complaint when pocket carrying).

If I have to wait for them to get it right, I'm fine with that and I'd rather wait than buy one too early and have to send it back. I live in MD where I can't carry, so I only am somewhere I can carry a few times a month. When I do carry, the vast majority of the time it is my S&W M&P40c (1st gen) or RIA Rock Compact (Officer sized 1911), with about 10% of my carry being between a revolver, a larger 1911 (my 1st gen S&W 1911SC), my P250 Compact (usually just kept in a quick access safe for home defense, but it comes with me out of state once in a blue moon), and my P290RS pocket carried. So, with only part-time carry, and pocket carry only gets a small percentage of my carry, there is no rush.

Anyway, I'm teaching summer school so I have a little extra money to buy what I want. Is it time for the P365 now, or am I better off waiting and using that money for something else?

Last edited by chaim; July 21, 2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old July 21, 2018, 09:32 PM   #2
JMag1

I say go for it; love mine. More importantly, look at getting out of Maryland and into a free state. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old July 22, 2018, 06:01 AM   #3
Brit

Yes on getting out! Try Florida, I did and stayed. On the Sig 365, wait till the firing pin drag, and the firing pin is fixed! Plus trigger breaking?
Want a wee 9mm that works? Glock 43.
Old July 22, 2018, 06:42 AM   #4
PushPuller

Id say wait. Im actually very interested in the 365, but not so interested in rushing in and buying a headache. Ill probably wait at least another 6 months.
Old July 22, 2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

Your quote "I have a SIG P250 and a SIG P290RS. Both are guns that SIG initially had issues with when they first came out, and both had the issues addressed and by the time I bought them they were nice, reliable guns, that sold at relatively low prices since the prior issues had impacted what SIG and the gun shops could sell them for."

I think you answered your own question. I personally wait about 3 years. All bugs, recalls etc. have gone through the process. I have learned the hard way.
Old July 22, 2018, 07:56 AM   #6
chaim

Quote:
Want a wee 9mm that works? Glock 43.
It's funny that I put so much mental effort into finding the "perfect" pocket carry gun. As I mention in my post, I only carry part-time due to no shall issue in MD (I have a UT non-res permit, and I'm finally going to get around to getting my NH non-res for PA carry in a few weeks), and when I do carry I rarely pocket carry. What I didn't mention, is that I already have several pocket carry options (it is just that with the lighter weight than my P290 and the 10 round capacity, this is my idea of a perfect pocket gun). I have my slightly too heavy P290RS, a slightly too heavy and low capacity Taurus 85CH, a too low capacity S&W 442, a Ruger LCP that I don't like (and it is "only" a .380, I'd prefer a 9mm), and an unreliable Kel Tec Pf-9. If I was to get another "almost there" gun while waiting for the P365, I have my eye on a few that speak to me in other ways (I love 1911s and guns with a similar look): the SIG P938, SIG P238, Colt Mustang, Kimber Micro and the Kimber Micro-9. I may well get one of those 5 anyway, despite having stop gaps already and the P365 likely in the future, just because I want one.

Last edited by chaim; July 22, 2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old July 22, 2018, 08:11 AM   #7
chaim

As for getting out of MD, it has been on my wish list for a while, but hasn't happened. It has to be near where I am now, my parents are getting old, and at 48 I don't make new friends as easily or quickly as I used to. I can't get a teaching job in PA (I got my original certification through a "non-traditional" program, so, even though I've been teaching for over 12 years, PA won't accept my certification in their reciprocal agreement with MD). So, if I move there, I'll have a long commute to and from work (I've still been shopping houses between Shrewsbury and the southern York area where my commute to work would be 1-1.5hrs, and my commute home would be 1.5-2hrs). I can get certified to teach in VA, but Northern VA real estate is crazy expensive, and since the NOVA school districts are the highest paying in the state, there is a lot of competition for positions (I've applied twice and never even got a call for an interview). On a MD teaching salary (and I'm single so no two incomes, well, other than my part-time evening school teaching job and my temporary summer school teaching job) the prices are out of my price range (the cheapest I've seen in a decent neighborhood that isn't too far from work are $300K 1br and 2br condos - I've lived in apartments and condos since going on my own, I want at least a townhouse, and there are some in the $300-400K range if I get one that needs work or is a long drive). So, while moving is on the radar (I may buy a house around York PA), it hasn't been able to happen yet.

Last edited by chaim; July 22, 2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old July 22, 2018, 09:02 AM   #8
pblanc

On another forum an owner of a P365 with a June 17 build date reported a dead trigger after firing approximately 140 rounds total.

Unfortunately, the "critical failures" that occur without warning and immediately take the gun out of action (broken strikers and dead triggers due to broken or dislodged trigger bar springs) have sometimes occurred only after rather high round counts. One broken striker was reported after 1900 rounds and several others after round counts of 500 or greater. Just yesterday, on yet another forum a P365 owner (with an April build date) experienced a dead trigger after over 1500 rounds. Tim, of the Military Arms Channel videos, had his P365 trigger go dead after shooting nearly 900 rounds.

I would wager money that there are a good many P365 owners who have not yet shot 500 rounds through their pistols. If history is any predictor, some fraction of these pistols will fail critically in the future.

Make what you will of this. Personally, I would not buy a SIG P365 at this time.
Old July 22, 2018, 11:32 AM   #9
gnystrom

Glocks have had their recalls along with Kimber, M&P Shield, Sigs, Remington's, Rugers, along with many others.
As of Mid-July Sig has shipped over 85,000 of the P365's into the marketplace with the vast majority in owners hands. I agree there was a spate of issues that Sig quickly remedied and recent production has all but stopped complaints over the internet. Both of mine, run like a stolen Ferrari.
The gun you carry is your choice. Al Gores internet is full of BS as well as helpful information. Wade through it with a jaundiced eye.
Old July 22, 2018, 11:39 AM   #10
ice monkey

You know, I want the 365 as bad as anyone... two actually, but I got to wait. I’ll live with my Walther PPS version 1 until they get it right.

That said, I hear that though the primer drag is not going to change, the firing pin’s metal is. That’ll go a long way. Now if they get the trigger system working flawlessly, I’ll jump in. But the haven’t I don’t think. So I wait.
Old July 22, 2018, 07:47 PM   #11
Groundhog34

My 365 has about 800 trouble free rounds. It is also accurate and has a great trigger. My was made in mid Feb 2018.
Revelation 13:11
Old July 22, 2018, 07:57 PM   #12
jonnyc

We've had them in the shop and thankfully I discovered the grip doesn't fit me well. After all the trouble they've had, not to mention similar with the 320, I'm happy to stick with a Glocl 43.
Not a Sig hater......my P228 is still my favorite carry gun.
Old July 23, 2018, 10:43 PM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

I shot the Sig 365, I liked the gun. A few club members and I put 1,000 rounds through the gun. The gun ran well, with about 4 failures we attributed to user error. People riding the slide. We warned all shooters to be careful of this possible before shooting. It is a very narrow space between the grip and the receiver. Just will not work for me, especially if I had to wear gloves. I have a size large hand with long fingers. Small hands should not be a problem The gun was a little snappy, shot very similar to a Ruger LC9s but but a little less snappy.
I would suggest anyone interested in the Sig to try it out to make sure it fits. It also has a very large take down lever which may prove problematic for some. Just not a good fit for myself. Surprisingly my Little Pico actually has more room.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 23, 2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old July 24, 2018, 12:17 AM   #14
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
On another forum an owner of a P365 with a June 17 build date reported a dead trigger after firing approximately 140 rounds total.

Unfortunately, the "critical failures" that occur without warning and immediately take the gun out of action (broken strikers and dead triggers due to broken or dislodged trigger bar springs) have sometimes occurred only after rather high round counts. One broken striker was reported after 1900 rounds and several others after round counts of 500 or greater. Just yesterday, on yet another forum a P365 owner (with an April build date) experienced a dead trigger after over 1500 rounds. Tim, of the Military Arms Channel videos, had his P365 trigger go dead after shooting nearly 900 rounds.

I would wager money that there are a good many P365 owners who have not yet shot 500 rounds through their pistols. If history is any predictor, some fraction of these pistols will fail critically in the future.

Make what you will of this. Personally, I would not buy a SIG P365 at this time.
Pretty much my thoughts too. I bet the vast majority of pistol owners maybe put a couple hundred rounds a year through their pistols if that much.
Old July 24, 2018, 12:37 PM   #15
davidsog

Quote:
Glocks have had their recalls along with Kimber, M&P Shield, Sigs, Remington's, Rugers, along with many others.
As of Mid-July Sig has shipped over 85,000 of the P365's into the marketplace with the vast majority in owners hands. I agree there was a spate of issues that Sig quickly remedied and recent production has all but stopped complaints over the internet. Both of mine, run like a stolen Ferrari.
The gun you carry is your choice. Al Gores internet is full of BS as well as helpful information. Wade through it with a jaundiced eye.
I picked one up at the local base PX. We called SIG and my serial number included the rolling updates SIG tends to do. They actually stopped production for a while to investigate a few of issues raised online but have started shipping pistols again.

So far I have ~500 rounds thru mine without a single malfunction and only one cleaning. It runs like top.

This is from June of this year:

Quote:
Although there have been a limited number of striker and trigger return spring issues with this new platform, our return rates for these two parts are still extremely low…approximately 0.25% combined, which we believe is below industry standards for any type of return.
Quote:
Q: What are the chances of my striker breaking or trigger return spring coming off?
A: Extremely small. Currently, returns for strikers and trigger return springs account for 0.25% of all P365s shipped, combined. Although these numbers are extremely low, Sig Sauer will continue to evaluate all of our firearms to ensure that they meet the most stringent standards we have set for ourselves and that you have come to expect.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc...244#2280007244

Last edited by davidsog; July 24, 2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old August 3, 2018, 06:25 AM   #16
Agustus

I love mine. I’ve put over 1000 rounds through it. Super accurate for a pistol of its size and has become my primary edc. It’s my first sig. I have lots of glocks and smiths and they’ve all had growing pains but this little sig has been a pleasure to have so far.
Old August 5, 2018, 08:26 PM   #17
RickB

Quote:
I have my eye on a few that speak to me in other ways (I love 1911s and guns with a similar look): the SIG P938
I've had a P938 for about a year and a half, and have 1400 rounds through mine.
Another SIG that suffered through some early issues, the chronic problems seem to have all been addressed.
I've had exactly four incidents of less than perfect function; two failures to extract, and twice the disconnector seemed to have not reset, all in the span of about 100 rounds.
I seem to have lucked out on the trigger, as some report pull weights over eight pounds, when the spec is 5.5 - 6.5, but mine has settled at about four pounds.
Old August 8, 2018, 05:54 PM   #18
chaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
I've had a P938 for about a year and a half, and have 1400 rounds through mine.
Another SIG that suffered through some early issues, the chronic problems seem to have all been addressed.
I've had exactly four incidents of less than perfect function; two failures to extract, and twice the disconnector seemed to have not reset, all in the span of about 100 rounds.
I seem to have lucked out on the trigger, as some report pull weights over eight pounds, when the spec is 5.5 - 6.5, but mine has settled at about four pounds.
Yeah, it seems with every new design they've put out over the past decade, they initially had issues. They also got it right after a year or two, so I hope they get the P365 right.

Funny you put in your input about the P938 a couple days ago. Today, I almost decided to go out and get a P938 or 238. In the next day or two I'll probably go out looking at the P238, P938, Kimber Micro and Micro-9, and Colt Mustang, and get the one that most speaks to me in the moment. Actually, there is a strong chance I'll go with the .380 version (even though I don't love .380). The past 2 years I've been having some issues with my hands (trigger finger, which has nothing to do with guns though everyone seems to think it does, and possible diabetic nerve damage) that seem to be getting worse (it is especially bad in my right ring finger which is important for the proper grip of a small grip gun), so I may have to move to the lighter recoiling .380 in those designs (from what I read, those size 1911 style 9mms are a little stout, though not really bad, and the .380s are pussycats). Oh, I'm not so worried about the pain of the recoil as much as I am my ability to have a tight enough grip on the gun (so we'll see how they feel when I hold them at the shop and maybe rent one or two if possible). If it doesn't improve with further treatment, that can be a bigger problem for the P365. If the grip isn't long enough for me to get a good grip on it with my weakened finger, it is polymer and may be more likely to experience "limp wrist" with too weak a grip (an other reason to wait to see if treatment helps enough, and if not, hopefully a local range will have one to rent so I can see if it will be too big a problem or not).

Last edited by chaim; August 8, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old August 8, 2018, 06:10 PM   #19
RickB

I'm used to shooting .45s, so the recoil of even a small, light 9mm is pretty light.
One youtube reviewer said the P938 recoiled so sharply, he was afraid it would jump out of his hand!
I'd describe it as closer to docile, but I haven't, and won't, shoot any +P through it, either.
I have long fingers, and the larger grip of the 938 is easier to hold onto than the smaller 238, and I can easily get all three fingers around when using the extended 7rd mag with pinky rest.
There are some "low recoil" 9mm loads on the market, which might be worth looking into.
Old August 9, 2018, 07:57 AM   #20
jr24

The one I had shot fine and had no issues. I've put 300 through it and the new owner has it up over 1K. I never checked the build date but bought it early July.

For me it was too large for pocket and too small for a good belt gun, considering I shot my Glock 26 (my normal minimal belt gun size) much much better.

I did like the trigger quite a bit and the XRay sights were fantastic. Just too small for my hands.

When I moved it on the new owner was quite aware of all the potential issues and reports no primer drag of note yet, but I have to admit I'm waiting for him to text and report a broken striker or dead trigger one of these days.

I dont think I would have been able to tame my OCD sufficiently to trust the one I had for EDC. Especially with proven alternatives in my safe.
Old August 9, 2018, 09:30 AM   #21
davidsog

Quote:
For me it was too large for pocket
I gotta ask.....How small are your pockets?

Quote:
and too small for a good belt gun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29qgsP9B-E

As with all new pistols, holster options where very limited. That has improved and I am sure if you bought it when it first arrived at the shelf then that impression of being too small for a good belt gun holds.

I carry mine strong side. I hate kydex but the lack of holster options led me to purchase SIG's IWB kydex holster. Surprisingly it has been a good comfortable holster that does it job.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-s...y-holster.html

It is a great carry gun for CCW holders. It shoots like a much larger pistol with the capacity of the double stack Glock 26 at the same size as the Glock 43 single stack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpgWVvWvvFY
Old August 11, 2018, 06:38 PM   #22
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
I gotta ask.....How small are your pockets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29qgsP9B-E

As with all new pistols, holster options where very limited. That has improved and I am sure if you bought it when it first arrived at the shelf then that impression of being too small for a good belt gun holds.

I carry mine strong side. I hate kydex but the lack of holster options led me to purchase SIG's IWB kydex holster. Surprisingly it has been a good comfortable holster that does it job.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-s...y-holster.html

It is a great carry gun for CCW holders. It shoots like a much larger pistol with the capacity of the double stack Glock 26 at the same size as the Glock 43 single stack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpgWVvWvvFY
My pockets are pocket sized. I found the 365 to be bigger and heavier than I prefer, since I primarily CCW IWB so I only want a pocket gun when I dont wear a belt, like in athletic shorts. So its gotta be small and light.

As for belt carry, a Glock 26 conceals perfectly in any outfit for me. There is no reason to go smaller, especially with a gun I shoot worse than said Glock.

I gave the Sig an honest chance, not for me.
Old August 11, 2018, 06:53 PM   #23
Model12Win

It has a good drop factor and SIG is a nice brand.

Still, I'll wait just a tick longer before snagging one. You know... just to be on the safe side.
Old August 11, 2018, 10:45 PM   #24
brian33x51

Wait for MAC. He's gone 3 for 3 on getting bad p365's so far. I'm not sure what it will take to satisfy him at this point. If I bought 3 of something that's overpriced and all had problems I'd probably swear off the manufacturer.
Old August 12, 2018, 09:20 PM   #25
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian33x51 View Post
Wait for MAC. He's gone 3 for 3 on getting bad p365's so far. I'm not sure what it will take to satisfy him at this point. If I bought 3 of something that's overpriced and all had problems I'd probably swear off the manufacturer.
That's a shame! Hopefully SIG SAUER can get it right.