The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 1, 2018, 07:48 PM   #1
wnycollector

S&W Third gen reduced power mainspring installation, is it worth it?

I have installed reduced power "D" springs on my Beretta 92FS, 92S and M9 with good results (~2lb DA reduction). I just ran across these Hammer Spring, Reduced Power, S&W Large Frame Auto, 17# at Wilson Combat and thought I might install them on my 10 3rd gen's. Has anyone installed these in their 3rd Gen full sized pistols. If so, can you give me an idea of the pull weight reduction I can expect? Thanks in advance!
Old July 1, 2018, 11:07 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't. Aftermarket springs are designed to do one thing: make the aftermarket mfg rich. When you mess with springs, you affect the reliability of the firearm. As designed, guns are meant to operate with the wide spectrum of SAAMI spec ammunition. If you change something, you may alter its reliability.
Old July 2, 2018, 10:17 AM   #3
wnycollector

4V50 Gary, that is probably the best advice I will get on this topic. I have done a fair amount of research on this topic after posting my question and most reports are minimal change in trigger pull by swapping one spring but decreased reliability with hard primers. I think I'm going to move on from this idea!
Old July 2, 2018, 11:03 AM   #4
Sevens

I don't buy the conspiracy theory argument that an aftermarket spring company such as Wolff only exists to separate people from their money, that's a ludicrous assertion.

However
Yes, for certain, using a lower weight hammer spring (main spring) will definitely give two immediate results: it will lower the pull weight of the long double action trigger stroke -AND- it will lower the amount of energy impacting the primer, which absolutely gives you the chance of a "fail to fire."

Consider how affordable these main springs are and how easy they are to swap. Consider the actual role/use of the ten 3rd Gens you are talking about. If these are simply range fun guns where a shot won't ever be life & death critical, you might enjoy the upgrade.

Myself, I have even more 1-2-3rd Gens then you do and only one of them is in a defensive role. However, I haven't bothered with the mainspring simply because I don't do much double action shooting with them.

The reduced long trigger pull feel with a lightened main spring is definitely real and perceptible, and certainly could be a low cost and enjoyable upgrade for you. And that cannot be written off with a simple "these only exist to separate people from their money", which is nonsense.

Apologies if that seems caustic but it's simply slagging a quality product that has definite tangible use.
Old July 4, 2018, 07:42 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hardly a "conspiracy theory." It's pure marketing to instill greater confidence in the consumer like aftermarket wheels on a car. I would think it's more of a con game on unwary people.

Funny how the Germans graph a spring to see its compression rate. They tend to like gradual climbs as opposed to spikes in spring pressure. Think of the Ruger GP 100 trigger pull with its sudden spike compared to a Colt Python's gradual increase in pressure. The Germans prefer the latter and springs are designed for a reason by the manufacturer. Change those specs and you start getting a prima donna that won't work reliably with SAAMI Spec ammunition.

It may work or it may not and you have to test your firearm after you modify it.

Ask yourself what is your firearms' purpose? If it's for competition, then by all means change the springs to suit your competition needs. You can control what type of ammunition it needs to work reliably. It's unlikely that that firearm will be used in self defense, carry or patrol work.

My criteria is admittedly a biased one. Reliability first and always. It must work every time it comes out of the holster.

How about this? Test things out before you start making changes. If nothing else, it gives you a watermark to measure changes against. Sometimes they work, sometimes they won't. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, I am in the market for an aftermarket spring for an out of production pistol. It's not feeding and I suspect the magazine spring isn't fast/strong enough to push up the cartridge in time for the feed rib to push a cartridge toward the feed ramp. No production springs are available so it's better aftermarket than a fancy rock which is what that pistol has become without a working magazine.
Old July 4, 2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Nathan

I will agree that lightweight spring kits and fancy better recoil spring systems are mostly hype.

Lightweight spring kits without tuning and testing are mostly giving you reduced reliability and adding felt creep to a trigger. Putting in a light spring that affects trigger pull weight always adds creep, even when people refuse to admit it!

Adding extra power springs in may work, but like putting a cam in your hot rod, it narrows your powerband for ammo selection.

Replacement springs and mild changes in weight are regular maintenance and should be done on heavy shooters or to troubleshoot a nonworking gun.
Old July 4, 2018, 01:18 PM   #7
SGW Gunsmith

The original post concerns a "reduced power 'HAMMER' spring". That spring alone will have very little influence on trigger pull reduction, if any at all.

What is likely to happen with a "reduced power hammer spring" are light primer hits. This is even more likely when reloads are built with magnum primers that have a thicker primer cup. There's nothing wrong with trying the lighter weight hammer spring, but keep in mind, if the primers need a couple of hits to create any "noise", then you'll most likely need to go back to the factory spring.

A lighter weight, safe, trigger pull will only arrive when a "professional trigger job" has been done to your Smith & Wesson.
Old July 4, 2018, 11:25 PM   #8
Sevens

No -- a lighter weight mainspring (hammer spring) in a S&W 3rd Gen greatly reduces the stiffness and pull weight of the long, first shot double-action trigger pull, for certain.

And yes, can and will also effectively increase the chance of a misfire or fail-to-fire also.
Old July 6, 2018, 12:51 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Gary- what pistol do you need a magazine spring for?
Old July 6, 2018, 08:21 AM   #10
wnycollector

I love this forum. Well written thoughtful responses by folks with years of experience! I spent $8 and got a few springs to try out. I will post my results.
Old July 6, 2018, 01:10 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Ortgies in 7.65 mm. I made a replacement part for it and got it all together, then I learned that the magazine won't feed. Lips are not bent or dinged so I suspect the spring is too weak. I've seen Ortgies work on U-Tube.