The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 23, 2016, 12:45 AM   #1
marine6680

Looks like a move to Colorado is a possibility. Need help understanding the new laws

As the title states.

I may end up there soon on a permanent basis for work. Really hoping some natives and even other transplants can help me out.

With the mag limit laws, and the attitude many have expressed online about its disregard by people there... I am just not sure what to do with my current mag collection. The law makes no mention of transplant residents.

Any special hoops to go through for a carry permit?

Plus knife laws, which I know are not firearms related, but important none the less.

I know the blade must be less than 3.5in for carry... but does anyone know what is or isn't an automatic in their eyes. I have an assisted opener, and am worried it's not allowed.
Old June 23, 2016, 01:45 AM   #2
Sharkbite

I live in western Co (Montrose area). As of now you may not LAWFULLY bring into the state any mag that holds over 15 rounds. If the mag was in the state BEFORE the ban went into effect its grand fathered in and is perfectly legal to possess and use.

The law is VERY specific about "Transplant residence". You may not bring into the state ANY magazing over 15 rounds. The mags that were here before the ban may not be sold or transfered in ANY way inside the state. IT SUCKS...but thats the law currently.

Nothing special for a CCW. you must show proof of some type of "Firearms training" but that is not defined very well. Just about anywhere you live will have a couple to a bumch of places giving CCW classes. Some good some not so good, but they all meet the standard of undefined "firearms training". If youve takes a class at any of the schools submit your course cert and youre gtg.

Knife law here is pretty simple. Blade length (cutting edge) under 3.5 and not automatic. An assisted opening knife is NOT an automatic in this state.