The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 16, 2016, 06:26 PM   #1
quillgordo

327 fed levergun????

With 32 h&r marlin leverguns scarcer than hens teeth and since the introduction of the 327 federal magnum and the revolvers to go with them, when will someone offer a levergun so chambered?
Old November 17, 2016, 12:50 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

That'd be something only the MBA's running the assorted marketing departments can answer. Never, if the .327 SP101 and the few Smiths chambered in it don't sell more.
Old November 17, 2016, 04:17 PM   #3
RIDE-RED 350r

Last I was aware, Smith already discontinued the only two models they offered in 327 Mag awhile back. And they only ran a couple of years if I recall...

Ruger is now offering the SP101 in 327 again. Hopefully it sells better, I love magnum wheelguns and the more variety out there the better!

Unfortunately though, it seems that cartridge is already on it's second chance on life support. I doubt there will be any carbines offered in 327 at least by the more popular brands anyway.
Old November 17, 2016, 04:25 PM   #4
smee78

I would love to add one of the Marlins in 32 cal to my collection but I will not pay the $1600+ that people are asking for them on gunbroker. Even if Marlin made a run every few years i'm sure they would sell out fast every single time, just to bad they don't see the market.
Old November 17, 2016, 09:59 PM   #5
Dranrab

Cabelas in Gonzales LA has one in 32 H&R magnum for $1300. Too spendy for my blood.
Old November 19, 2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Shenna9220

I recently asked Henry about something in this caliber and was told there might be something in the 2017 catalog. Guess we get to wait and see.
Old November 19, 2016, 06:23 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

If one is offered, I may buy it.

But....
I'm not a fan of Henry rifles. To me, they're clunky, chunky, unrefined, and look like ungainly hybrids of multiple classic designs.
And, of course, they're had some quality issues lately.

And Marlin?
Not a chance. Remington can't build a lever gun, outside of dumb luck, that will survive 100 rounds, now that they are no longer heat-treating internal parts or doing spot-checks/dimensional-checks on parts. They assume that since everything is being CNC milled now, that every part is the same, and they no longer use check-gauges or QC inspections during production.

That basically leaves Rossi, Winchester, and the Italians.
Rossi would be a no-go.
Winchester would be out of my budget.
And I don't want an Italian import.

So, I guess that means, for me, that there's no chance unless Henry really steps up their game; or Remington sells Marlin to a company that believes in quality and Marlin decides to make one for us.
Old November 20, 2016, 06:05 AM   #8
ballisti

Yes, the Henry's look like they were designed by Hasbro.

That was OK when I was a kid, but as an adult I expect something better.
Old November 20, 2016, 07:14 AM   #9
TMD

Quote:
I recently asked Henry about something in this caliber and was told there might be something in the 2017 catalog. Guess we get to wait and see.

Seems I've heard this same rumor more than once lately.
Old November 21, 2016, 02:32 AM   #10
Gaucho Gringo

Well finally Henry makes the gun that I have been writing to them about making for years, a 24" barrelled .22 and they are flying off the shelves evidently. I got notification they were for sale about a week ago. I went to Gun Genie to purchase one and they showed only 1 left. By the time I got to checkout it was gone. I am going to try local but I don't have much hope of finding one. I have a feeling that if Henry made a .327 mag rifle would be met with a similar response if priced right. If Rossi made one in their 92 rifle I would buy one in a heartbeat even over a Henry.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old November 21, 2016, 03:10 AM   #11
A pause for the COZ

Well let the race begin.
It may not be a huge market but it is a market with disposable income none the less.
Its also a market that the one who fills the demand first will garner the most available sales.
My single 7 has been just waiting for its partner for quite a while now.
So the first to scratch my itch is gona get the money.
If Henry comes out 1st and then latter Rossi.
I might end up with two of them.
The Henry because. well because I am buying the 1st one I get the chance to buy. just the way it is. not even worth trying to talk my self out of it.
It will be an involuntary wallet grab.
Then if Rossi comes out with one. I would buy that one to be used.
Rossi's have issues but all of them can be made to shoot great and the action can be made to operate like butter with just a bit of TLC.
There are kits complete with a DVD on how to do it. or if your so inclined you can pay him to do your Rossi. He specializes in them.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; November 21, 2016 at 03:27 AM.
Old November 21, 2016, 07:26 PM   #12
ThomasT

I have one of the Marlin 32 magnums I bought new several years ago. I may have fired a hundred rounds through it but not much more. I haven't shot it in a couple of years. I like it OK but not as much as the 44 mag or 357 lever guns from Marlin I own. The 357 is my favorite gun I own.

It is heavier than either the 357 or the 44 mag. I have gave some thought to selling it but it would mess up the set. I have the box and paperwork for all three rifles. And before you ask it will not feed 32 longs. So I suppose the 327 may not feed 32 mags as a subload unless designed to do so from the maker.

So I doubt we will see a marlin 327. A Henry? Who knows? They might surprise you guys. But it will most likely be a tube feed like their other rifles and that will cause complaints and people saying they won't buy them for that reason.
Old November 24, 2016, 03:50 AM   #13
Cosmodragoon

The .327 is a wonderful cartridge and it does great things for the few guns it has been chambered in. For a variety of reasons, it suffered a "failure to launch" and has been a Ruger niche cartridge ever since. Of course, there have been several guns chambered for it by Ruger. I hope they'll continue to offer more. Both that and any lever gun possibilities do hinge upon current buzz and sales. So get out there and try it. Get some friends to try it with you. Sniff out the best price you can find on ammo and buy a bunch. The least expensive thing you can do is kick out an email or make a phone call, expressing your interest in .327 Federal and the likelihood that you'll buy a product they make for it.
Old November 24, 2016, 08:15 AM   #14
TruthTellers

I know this thread is about lever action .327 rifles, but I just want a .327 rifle period. A single shot would tickle my fancy and nobody makes even that. Heck, there's only about four production handguns that are currently being made in the cartridge that I know of with Ruger making 3 different revolvers and Bond making a derringer.

It's a great rimmed cartridge, but casual shooting people are set in their ways and won't go below a .357 Magnum and that reaction has killed the .327's potential. It's not all the .357's fault though, ammo manufacturers have absolutely failed to do their job in making factory ammo to supply the demand, only Federal and Buffalo Bore currently make .327 ammunition.

I don't blame people when they want to shoot, but not have to spend $1/round and wait for the ammo to show up next week in a box on their doorstep. With a .357, they have every sporting goods store or Walmart to buy ammo to feed their gun.
Old November 24, 2016, 12:11 PM   #15
ThomasT

Truthteller I am with you. I would like a single shot 32 something and if it were a 32 long that would be OK too. I have been facinated by Rook & Rabbit rifles for years. i like the idea of a lightweight small bore single shot small game rifle.

Supposedly Henry is coming out with some break open rifles and maybe they will include a 32 caliber in the lineup. Here is a good 32 caliber article and is what I have in mind.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris...gamerifles.htm

Last edited by ThomasT; November 24, 2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old November 24, 2016, 01:38 PM   #16
fourbore

Hornady loads 32H&R which I appreciate, since I have a revolver that chambers that load. And as-far-as-I-know those will not safely fire 327 ammo. The 32HR is a good load too.

Lack of rifles and pistols is a disappointment. I don't honestly know if I want a 32 rifle. More choices would be nice.

The contender & encore are under smith&wesson. I dont see the same enthusiasm for variety of barrels.

H&R was a great company for running off odd ball calibers in the handy rifle. There was a day anyone could walk in the lobby and strike up a discussion and a few months later after the seed planted, maybe a new barrel. H&R went down the Remlin tubes.

It is not just 327 single shots, it is the whole single shot production scene has shrunk. The big news this week is discussed over on the 24hr campfire. The ruger No1 has been dropped. Or so they say.

The Ruger 77 would have been a good candidate for 327. Past sense. The 77/xx line is discontinued.

Marlin is now Remlin and figure the odds on even seeing a model 39 rimfire again. New marlins? They cannot even make the old ones. Marlin made a single shot back in the day.

I know this is not a single shot posting, but the 32 is a good candidate for one of the many little singles that used to be produced. For me a stevens single shot, take down screw, no scope, no dot in a 32 for a blue collar price tag. Sold.
Old November 26, 2016, 01:28 PM   #17
PoiDog

I just saw a custom shop on Gunbroker that converts Marlin 1894 rifles to .32 / .327 for a chunk of money.

They're selling a rifle for $1550, and will convert your 1894 for $700.

Ranger Point Precision is the company name. I have no dealings with them, other than to see their listing.
Old November 27, 2016, 11:39 PM   #18
TruthTellers

Since we're on the subject of gunsmith conversions to .327, does anybody have a list of .32 S&W or .32 H&R rifles that were made? They can be any rifle, single shot, lever, pump, or bolt action.

I've been looking on gunbroker lately for such rifles, and have had no luck finding anything besides Marlin 1894's and single shot rifles for .32 Rimfire.

And don't bother mentioning .32-20, you can't convert that to .327 or even .32 H&R for that matter.
Old November 27, 2016, 11:42 PM   #19
Model12Win

I'd contact Henry Repeating Arms.

They seem to care about their customers, are Americans, and they introduced a .41 magnum lever action not long ago to critical acclaim.
Old November 27, 2016, 11:42 PM   #20
Jim Watson

Actually, Ranger Point says they start with a .32-20.
Old November 27, 2016, 11:50 PM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
I'd contact Henry Repeating Arms.

They seem to care about their customers, are Americans, and they introduced a .41 magnum lever action not long ago to critical acclaim.
This is not a bad idea. If we can get enough people to tell Henry to get on board to make a .327 rifle, it could actually happen.

EDIT: Hey look, I found just the guy who'd love to hear all about this sort of stuff

https://www.henryrifles.com/contact-...hony-imperato/
Old November 28, 2016, 12:09 PM   #22
TruthTellers

For everybody talking about the rumors that Henry was coming out with a .327 Magnum, I can confirm them.

I sent this message to Henry President Anthony Imperato last night:

I'm contacting you to express my and many other shooters and shooting sportsman's desire to own a rifle chambered for .327 Federal Magnum.

Being of a manufacturing background, I understand the risks of making a product that would appeal to a small minority of the shooting market, but know that there is a growing crowd of people who are realizing the potential of the .327 cartridge, especially in a rifle be it a lever action or perhaps even in the yet to be released single shot rifles you and Henry announced earlier this year.

I implore you to please consider adding a .327 Magnum rifle to your list of products. If it were to be done, Henry would be blazing a trail as the first production .327 Magnum rifle to be offered to the shooters who so strongly support great companies such as Henry Repeating Arms.

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

This response from President Imperato himself:

No imploring needed. The new Henry Big Boy 327 Fed Mag will be available in Spring 2017 in both rifle and carbine versions both in steel and hardened brass.
Old November 28, 2016, 01:00 PM   #23
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
This response from President Imperato himself:

No imploring needed. The new Henry Big Boy 327 Fed Mag will be available in Spring 2017 in both rifle and carbine versions both in steel and hardened brass.
You should see me Snoopy dancing right now!!!
Put me down for a Steel Carbine...
Old November 28, 2016, 01:18 PM   #24
Model12Win

Did you guys hear that??

.327 FED MAG LEVER GUN CONFIRMED!!!

Can you believe it?? Leave it to the folks at Henry (especially Mr. Imperato) to bring this dream come true!! Thousands have pined for a factory lever action rifle in .327 Fed Mag to compliment their .327 Fed Mag revolvers since the cartridge was introduced nearly a decade ago. Guys we are witnessing firearms history!!

Thank God for Henry Repeating Arms!!
Old November 28, 2016, 01:37 PM   #25
A pause for the COZ

Spring will actually work out pretty good for me too.
I am broke as crap right now. Xmas and property taxes, ect.
So I need s few over time weeks to build the fund. But its a done deal.