The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2014, 01:36 PM   #51
F. Guffey

Quote:
" The corresponding measurement on the cartridge drawing has a pyramid shaped triangle
It would be easier to keep up with you while you make this stuff it up if would read more carefully, the triangle is at the shoulder and has no correlation with head space. The measure from circle/line has a 'B', the B is the Symbol for 'basic'.

F. Guffey
Old April 3, 2014, 02:18 PM   #52
Bart B.

There's 2 Headspace Numbers for a .30-06 GO Gauge

You fell for my triangle joke intentionally misstated to get your attention, Guffey.

And "B" is the alpha-numeric character for "Basic." Not the "symbol" for it. Alpha-numeric characters are either letters or numbers or punctuation marks. Symbols, like modern railroad crossing signs that are the same as they were a century ago, are not alpha-numeric.

Wanna get technical??? You also missed another point I had eluded to; that triangle at 1.940" was the original GO headspace gauge dimension for .30-06 cartridges. The SAAMI version (2.049") came about in the early 1950's

Moderators, please lock this thread then melt down the key used to do so. I don't want anyone able to find that key and unlock this; ever..............

Last edited by Bart B.; April 3, 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old April 3, 2014, 02:22 PM   #53
F. Guffey

OK, someone called SAAMI, and SAAMI said?

http://www.saami.org/glossary/display.cfm?letter=H

I did not call SAAMI, had I called SAAMI I would have upset them and I would have ask to talk to someone that knew what they were talking about.

Search SAAMI for head clearance, head space, while you are close like up head space gage.

Clark said something about "What was that sound, sounded like a crack in my skull, something like an awaking, or dawn, it just dawned on me, case head clearance and head space"

Clark, forgive, I took a few liberties.

F. Guffey
Old April 3, 2014, 02:28 PM   #54
F. Guffey

Quote:
You fell for my triangle joke intentionally misstated to get your attention, Guffey.
Bart B. I do not know of any other way to say it:

You want my respect, earn it I will not give it to you.

F. Guffey
Old April 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #55
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Guffey
Head space, the circle with the X is used on the chamber drawing, I can only guess it will take years for you reloaders to look for the explanations of symbols used. The symbol for head space is the circle with the X, symbol is absent on the case drawing. The circle , round hole (used to find measure from) has a B, the B is for basic.
Won't take this reloader years to find anything. I reference the SAAMI drawings fairly regularly. I didn't see the symbol for that dimension immediately because I didn't have the time to look for it at that moment, nor do I particularly care.

I also couldn't care less if SAAMI does or does not have a name for it or if they call it "Case Head Space" or not, I was just curious.

It is a defacto industry standard term, has been for many decades, and is used by virtually all reloaders and everyone else in the industry, you being the only exception I can find outside of SAAMI technicalities.

Every single reloader, including you, knows exactly what the phrase references and why.

Since we routinely refer to that dimension, what would you propose that we call it? "The Alpha-Numeric Symbol Previously Referred to Erroneously as Case Head Space"? Shall we abbreviate it ANSPRECHS? Hell, we can even pronounce it! Ans-prek-s

No thank you. You can keep throwing your little tantrums that we aren't using an industry SAAMI technical term but the rest of us, and the whole shooting sports industry, will go right along calling it Case Head Space.
Old April 3, 2014, 03:02 PM   #56
Metal god

If the SAMMI drawing has a measurement and lines marking that measurement for headspace . Those markings are marked by an X with a circle around it . Then when you look at there drawing of the cartridge and it has a measurement and lines marking that measurement . Those lines are labeled B . If the two set of lines and measurements are vertually in the same place when laid side by side . Why is it such a leap to call the one on the cartridge headspace .

From now on I guess I'll call it headspace filler or maybe just "B" . I'm sure in my post from now on when I say I have short "B" everyone will know what I'm talking about

Hmm. Ans-prek-s , I have a short ans-prek-s problem . Not sure I like that

Case headspace sure seems a lot easier to say then the distance from the datum line to the outside of the head of my case

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; April 3, 2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old April 8, 2014, 11:28 AM   #57
F. Guffey

OK, someone called SAAMI, and SAAMI said?

I did not call SAAMI, If I had called SAAMI I would not try to impress them with anything, I would have ask them to verify, I would not have given them the opportunity to make an excuse for confusion. SAAMI has a glossary of terms. I do not believe there is anyone on this forum that has done anything impressive bought to change the glossary and definition of terms to suit themselves.

http://www.lewilson.com/casegage.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456...-223-remington

L.E. Wilson, the company/manufacturer list the name of their gage ‘CASE GAGE’, they have not changed the name in at least 50+ years. Between Columbus, Missouri and Cashmere, Washington the name changed to case length-head space gage. The case does not have head space, the case has a length, there are two lengths, one from the datum to the case head and the other from the datum to the end of the case neck.

Same for comparators, comparators are not head space gages, a comparator is used to compare the difference in lengths between cases from the shoulder/datum to the head of the case.

Bart B. I do not blame you, if is easy for me to say, forgive than it for me to blame someone else, I do not have the great big ego. Blame you? The triangle has a *, that means it is at the intersection, the intersection is at the case body/shoulder juncture. Mark Twain must have said something about telling the truth, it is much easier for me to tell the truth than is is for me to remember all of the wrong answers.

And it is easier for me to say forgive than it is to blame someone else and or try to make my self look good at others expense.

If I suspected there were fair and objective members on this forum that could distinguish fact from fiction I would not want this thread locked, you do?

F. Guffey
Old April 8, 2014, 11:49 AM   #58
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Guffey
The case does not have head space, the case has a length, there are two lengths, one from the datum to the case head and the other from the datum to the end of the case neck.
No, it does not.... it has one length, since you insist on SAAMI definitions, the Cartridge Case Length is the "dimensions[sic] from face of the head to the mouth."

The dimension from the head to the shoulder datum has no SAAMI glossary term/name/reference whatsoever and the dimension has no SAAMI reference of any kind except for an alpha-numeric character.

Logical consistency (for you) requires that you refer to it in no other way than the alpha-numeric character, as there is no other reference to it in the SAAMI glossary or any other SAAMI publication that I've seen. Alternatively, you could refer to it not at all.

Logic, for the rest of us, dictates that we refer to it as it has been nearly universally referred for many decades... Case Headspace.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; April 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: quote missing