The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 11, 2018, 01:30 PM   #1
qcable

Ruger old army parts needed

My ROA hammer plunger and spring will not come out of the hammer. Does anyone have a hammer, plunger, or spring for sale ?

There seems to be a burr inside the hammer that prevents the plunger from moving either way. Does anyone have an idea of how to remove them?
Old March 11, 2018, 08:27 PM   #2
45 Dragoon

The plunger is captured with a pin, did you remove it? If so, spray some penetrating oil in it and see if it will free up. It's a good idea to clean the trigger spring and hand spring from time to time as well. These were excellent changes that Ruger brought to the S.A. and why I convert the flat springs to coil and torsion as well. As good as the system is though, a little maintenance will keep any of them running top notch!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old March 12, 2018, 08:06 AM   #3
qcable

I did removed the pin and have soaked it for days in penetrating oil and it still will not budge. Looks like I will need the hammer and parts or junk this fine ROA.
Old March 12, 2018, 12:00 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Disassembly instructions are in the ROA manual staring on Page 22. The exploded drawing is on Page 34.
Said manual is here. http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_oldarmy.pdf
Ruger does not sell certain parts of any of their firearms. Factory installation only. Hammers are such parts.
"...plunger is captured with a pin..." An itty-bitty pin at that. Part KE-22.
It is possible and far more likely that the hammer plunger or its spring has broken than there being a burr.