The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2014, 10:33 PM   #1
shane32

17 hornet

Hello everyone. Does anyone have any experience with reloading the 17 hornet. Iv just purchased this gun and had a blast shooting prairie dogs.such a fun little bullet. Ammo is hard to get so iv got the dies and am ready to start loading some up. Any load info or luck with certain powders and seating depth for a savage model 25 or any other input is much appreciated. As of now I'm using what I can get my hands on in this crazy demand time. Using cci primers, h110 and hornady 20 grain v max! Thanks!
Old April 7, 2014, 09:28 AM   #2
SonOfGun

There is load data out there all you have to do is run a search. Try Hodgdon.
Old April 9, 2014, 01:06 AM   #3
ATCDoktor

I have been shooting and handloading for the 17 Hornet (Ruger 77/17) for about a year now and Lil Gun is THE powder if your looking for accuracy and speed from this little round.

I started out using the data that was established on hodgdons website but I started getting pressure signs way early in development and settled on 9.3 grains of Lil gun behind a 20 grain Vmax bullet,

Velocity was right at 3550 fps and accuracy was where I wanted it at .5 inch groups at 100 yards,

I find the rifle extremely accurate and easy to carry in the field.

I have killed a few dozen jackrabbits and a ferel cat That had been getting at my neighbors chickens

It kills like lightning on small game and has plenty of oomph when it connects on the backside of a running jack rabbit to stove them in